Russian Troop Movements Reported Near Ukraine

LeoRoverman said:

.... and wound up coming here on their Schengen visa.
Condottiere said:
U.K. was not in the Schengen accord.
oh I just knew someone would bite and two of you did. From personal experience, I know but the U.K. visa looked oddly like a schengen one. On at least four occasions I found Ukrainians who got through (keep yer heads down) at least two were here for years and one even got a UK passport for marrying a U.K. national.

How dastardly of them, coming here taking our jobs, marrying our women, becoming British!

Especially when the most independent, industrious and pro-active segment of the nation had been targeted for elimination by Moscow.
Or promoted to senior levels of the Communist Party and leadership of the Ukrainian Soviet.

Leonid Kravchuk (Polish-born, I believe?), Grigory Petrovsky and Volodymyr Shcherbytsky (suppressor of Ukrainian identity and champion of the Chernobyl NPP) were all Ukrainians.

Oh dear. Someone in Prague isn't too happy with Ivan...
Near to the Russian Embassy.

1618671772190.jpg

Or promoted to senior levels of the Communist Party and leadership of the Ukrainian Soviet.

Leonid Kravchuk (Polish-born, I believe?), Grigory Petrovsky and Volodymyr Shcherbytsky (suppressor of Ukrainian identity and champion of the Chernobyl NPP) were all Ukrainians.
Being promoted within the Communist Party does not make them examples of independent, industrious or pro-active segments of the Ukrainian population. It makes them party-hacks and opportunist apparatchiks under the spell of the "Muscovite Mindset" which seduced many ambitious non-Russian denizens of the greater Muscovite Empire. That they outwardly changed their spots when they saw a path for further self--aggrandisement does not change who they really were.

And what is your point in stating that Kravchuk was Polish born? He is an ethnic Ukrainian who was born in the eastern part of multi-ethnic state that was the Polish Second Republic five years prior to the outbreak of WW2 and the Soviet invasion and occupation of eastern Poland.

Some diplomatic ‘tit for tat’ between Russia and Ukraine. Ukrainian diplomat held and questioned by the FSB on accusations of trying to obtain classified information. Given 72 hours to leave. Ukraine reciprocate telling a Russian diplomat to leave Kiev:
Russia accused a Ukrainian diplomat on Saturday of trying to obtain classified information and ordered him to leave the country by April 22, prompting a like-for-like response from Ukraine as border tensions simmer.

Russia's FSB security service said Oleksandr Sosoniuk had been detained when he tried to access information from Russian law enforcement databases during a meeting with a Russian citizen.

The foreign ministry gave Sosoniuk 72 hours to leave, and Ukraine then did likewise to a Russian diplomat in Kyiv.

Ukraine's foreign ministry said Sosoniuk had been held for several hours before being allowed to return to his consulate in St Petersburg, and called the detention a provocation.

That they outwardly changed their spots when they saw a path for further self--aggrandisement does not change who they really were.
Self-aggrandisement which they achieved independently, industriously and pro-actively within the Soviet Union, as members of the Ukrainian SSR. In other words, they were not merely helpless victims of the machinations of the Evil Russian.

And what is your point in stating that Kravchuk was Polish born?
You'd previously made a big deal of the close links between Poles and Ukrainians, so I thought you'd find it interesting how an example of same could climb the greasy pole within the Ukrainian branch of the CCCP.

Some diplomatic ‘tit for tat’ between Russia and Ukraine. Ukrainian diplomat held and questioned by the FSB on accusations of trying to obtain classified information. Given 72 hours to leave. Ukraine reciprocate telling a Russian diplomat to leave Kiev:
Russia accused a Ukrainian diplomat on Saturday of trying to obtain classified information and ordered him to leave the country by April 22, prompting a like-for-like response from Ukraine as border tensions simmer.

Russia's FSB security service said Oleksandr Sosoniuk had been detained when he tried to access information from Russian law enforcement databases during a meeting with a Russian citizen.

The foreign ministry gave Sosoniuk 72 hours to leave, and Ukraine then did likewise to a Russian diplomat in Kyiv.

Ukraine's foreign ministry said Sosoniuk had been held for several hours before being allowed to return to his consulate in St Petersburg, and called the detention a provocation.
The Czech Republic: Hold my beer...

Self-aggrandisement which they achieved independently, industriously and pro-actively within the Soviet Union, as members of the Ukrainian SSR. In other words, they were not merely helpless victims of the machinations of the Evil Russian.

You'd previously made a big deal of the close links between Poles and Ukrainians, so I thought you'd find it interesting how an example of same could climb the greasy pole within the Ukrainian branch of the CCCP.
You are very confused.

Point one. The bulk of the Independent industrious and pro-active members of Ukrainian society were dealt with by Stalin in the twenties and thirties.

Point two. Kravchuk was not an ethnic Pole. As a child he was a Ukrainian with Polish citizenship. If you wanted to nominate Muscovite-leaning Polish Communist greasy-pole climbers you could have done a lot better than that. As there were quite a few, both in the USSR and in post-WW2 Poland. Feliks Dzerzhinsky (transliterated spelling of the Russian version of his surname) is probably the most notorious. And your point is?

Last edited:
Point one. The bulk of the Independent industrious and pro-active members of Ukrainian society were dealt with by Stalin in the twenties and thirties.
Clearly not so.
Point two. Kravchuk was not an ethnic Pole.
I never claimed he was. Do you need a pitchfork for those strawmen you're stacking so high?

The Czech Republic: Hold my beer...

A dreadful misunderstanding - two tourists with an interest in ecclesiastical architecture visit Vlasim's famous Church of St Giles, to see the extensive remodelling undertaken to the interior in 1733 and find themselves blamed for blowing up an explosives factory. It really is a quite intolerable slur on their characters and their hobby...

Well, this'll certainly push Russia to act quickly!;)

'Senior naval sources told the newspaper that a Type 45 destroyer armed with anti-aircraft missiles and an anti-submarine Type 23 frigate will separate from the Royal Navy’s carrier task group in the Mediterranean and head through the Bosphorus into the Black Sea next month.'

There’s a few stories by other news outlets reporting this deployment.
U.K. MOD announced this way back in February (before the Ruski build up) that T45, T23 would go to Black Sea to flag wave and visit the Ukraine.
Ref: The Times.

offog

LE
Interesting fact check in the BBC today.

Now we all accept that much of the time the media has difficulty understanding the difference between tanks and truck (it's green and army so must be a tank) but this takes it to another level. Added to this the habit of using stock footage by reporters/prog Dir who can't tell or don't understand the difference between army weapons and uniforms.

Just this week I saw lots of footage of UK soldiers representing US troops leaving Afghanistan in reports which was odd as it is normally the other way round.