Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Before Hell Freezes Over

Votes: 68 23.5%

• Total voters
Finally found Wally, He's came out of hiding to take on the Orcs,

1659814384807.png

skimmer

War Hero
You're wordsmithing. Its verbal masturbation. Its Moscow, the Russian Government or simply Putin.
Congrats, you get my first 'dumb' which is a shame really because the concept ably described by @Condottiere a few times now is not really complex. Try substituting 'metropolitan mindset'. It is not the same but similar. Then give it a rest.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
In theory, no. The sanctions should block the authorisation process.

There were reports early on of Russian tourists in various parts of the world being caught simply unable to use cashpoints and creditcards from one day to the next as the sanctions switch was flicked.

Troy

LE

Dread

LE
For those wondering about Russians paying for stuff overseas: if they don't already have foreign funds they can simply use UnionPay: the Chinese credit card payment system. In Thailand it's accepted by about 90% of vendors.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reported in Kyiv Post, there's another senior Rooski scientist either heading off to a tall building, or perhaps to test rare and exotic poisons...

Also, while I'm here, take a butcher's hook at the latest count from Kyiv Post:

View attachment 683502
Looks like the Chinese are spying on the Russians. No surprise there but must be annoying for anyone who thinks they are bosom buddies.

Not Ukraine BTW but a cracking photie of a Javelin in action

Dread

LE
That’s quite a lot of pockmarks in the 200 or so meters of the exploding tank, A question for those of an artillery persuasion.
is that the aftermath of walking fire around untill it hit, or mortar ( or similar) exchange with troops previous.
if it’s the former, to my unskilled eye, that must eat up conventional shells to get a hit. But I’m intrigued to know if that’s what it takes without “ smart munitions”
it just occurred that he might have met uke ground forces and Mr NLAW!

It was an exceptionally poor decision by HM Treasury the MoD not to purchase the Excalibur 155mm 'smart' round for the AS90, especially given the 'bang per buck' we're seeing with its use in Ukraine. They're not cheap (approx. GBP 90k each), but have proven quite adept at doing 'one shot, one kill' against Russian MBTs (approx. GBP 1.5 million to GBP 3.5 million each).

As to how many rounds of normal 155mm it takes to destroy a tank, the the answer is 'how long is a piece of string?'

Firstly, 'normal' arty isn't used to destroy armour: it is cráp at that job (since we can't use bomblet, which is rather good at the job). Against armour, normal arty could use a mixture of proximity and point detonation: to destroy the optics, shred antennas and any unprotected crew caught in the open, and force the enemy armour to move at a time not of their choosing (e.g. move from a prepared defensive position and into an ambush).

The only way you can destroy a MBT with arty is by getting a 'target round' (one that hits the target), and a rather lucky one at that e.g. in through a turret hatch. Most likely a target round will ruin the day of the crew, but destruction of the vehicle is by no means guaranteed: a mobility kill (shell landing on the engine deck) is the most likely.

How easy is it to get a target round? It's in the lap of the gods. I have fired 6 guns at a target with 3 rounds FFE = 18 rounds (with 'converge' applied) and still not got a target round: the rounds were straddling the target, so there was no adjustment possible. Sometimes my first or second adjustment would net me a target round.

It was an exceptionally poor decision by HM Treasury the MoD not to purchase the Excalibur 155mm 'smart' round for the AS90, especially given the 'bang per buck' we're seeing with its use in Ukraine. They're not cheap (approx. GBP 90k each), but have proven quite adept at doing 'one shot, one kill' against Russian MBTs (approx. GBP 1.5 million to GBP 3.5 million each).

As to how many rounds of normal 155mm it takes to destroy a tank, the the answer is 'how long is a piece of string?'

Firstly, 'normal' arty isn't used to destroy armour: it is cráp at that job (since we can't use bomblet, which is rather good at the job). Against armour, normal arty could use a mixture of proximity and point detonation: to destroy the optics, shred antennas and any unprotected crew caught in the open, and force the enemy armour to move at a time not of their choosing (e.g. move from a prepared defensive position and into an ambush).

The only way you can destroy a MBT with arty is by getting a 'target round' (one that hits the target), and a rather lucky one at that e.g. in through a turret hatch. Most likely a target round will ruin the day of the crew, but destruction of the vehicle is by no means guaranteed: a mobility kill (shell landing on the engine deck) is the most likely.

How easy is it to get a target round? It's in the lap of the gods. I have fired 6 guns at a target with 3 rounds FFE = 18 rounds (with 'converge' applied) and still not got a target round: the rounds were straddling the target, so there was no adjustment possible. Sometimes my first or second adjustment would net me a target round.
They've been using SMArt 155 as well, which would be good for us.

A Kherson lullaby

Latest Threads