Votes: 9 3.1%
  • By Christmas

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Some time in 2023

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Before Hell Freezes Over

Votes: 68 23.5%

• Total voters
great video. Im surprised Putin is restricting supply as will not that just push Germany and others to diversify and abandon Rus gas asap thereby neutering Putin's main economic weapon?

The more quickly Putin can cause cracks in the european consensus (which isn't actually complete anyway) then the more chance he has of weakening all sanctions and other actions taken against Russia over Ukraine. The aim is not economic but political.

NSP

LE
Regarding the figure of around 80% losses in a unit, isn't that fairly normal over a few months of fighting? There were similar, and higher, figures for some allied units after D-Day. Perhaps a better measure of unit-stress might be the availability of BCRs and periods of rest and retraining.
Wouldn't the unit be replenished by replacements in a conscript army where there's a constant churn of new youth coming through and former conscripts subject to recall on the states whim, where Russia and its army is concerned? It has the fifth largest standing army and third largest reserve in the world. Obviously, for the Uke's it is a different story but they've effectively mobilised the country by forbidding males of fighting age from leaving and having an influx of experienced volunteers from abroad (International Legion) and former domestic servicemen returning to the colours.

Yet...

Last week we were remarking on the Russian standard Battalion Tactical Group formation of 600-800 fighting men being committed to action as a unit comprising a mere 30-40 men in strength - a platoon-sized formation. So why are the Russians running out of men? Their losses across the board, as reported, seem to be pretty much four times the Uke's but their pool of bayonets, at least on paper, is somewhat vaster - albeit poorly-trained.

The Uke's seem to have far better battlefield trauma care and field hospital facilities and seem to be getting the lightly-wounded treated, rehabilitated and back into action quite quickly, whilst getting the more serious cases to the rear and into rehabilitation. The Russians seem to not fare too well if they get clipped which would affect the recirculation rate. Even so, on paper they have a large pool of (poorly) trained bodies to throw in. Unless they are suffering from mass desertions, lawyer-backed refusal to deploy and unable to deplete garrisons, say, along the Amur River lest the Chinese get smart ideas, that is...?

Edited to add: subsequent reply by Sadurian now seen.

Edited to add more: thanks to the Uke's Russia may have slipped or may be shortly going to slip a place or two in the standing army rankings.

Last edited:
. We know that the USSR used to be able to call on almost unlimited manpower, but that is very much no longer the case.
Turns out that wasn't true...

I am increasingly inclined to believe this Russian special operation is indicative of what would have happened if the USSR kicked off in Germany.

Last edited:
I've just had a look at the map and can only conclude that Russia has expended huge amounts of artillery ammunition and how many lives to take possession of a pile of rubble which used to be Severodonetsk. If anyone can explain to this simple soul how this town was ever key terrain or vital ground for either side, I would be grateful. I can only imagine that Ukraine has used the town to deplete Russian ammunition and manpower and have now withdrawn in good order to the (slightly) higher ground to the west of the Siverskiy Donets River. I just hope that all the civilians were able to get out.
From the US in Vietnam a half-century ago, came the priceless line, from a sub-unit commander "We had to destroy the village in order to save it"

I'd say there's an element of this in play now. There are (WERE?) strategic industrial facilities in parts of rsuSS occupied Ukraine, that by now seem to be trashed beyond economic repair.

This is a vanity project, benefitting nobody. Least of all the initiator of it.

Troy

LE
Having read through that other thread, I am inclined to agree with you. It strongly suggests a tool to increase the OP post count.

Ah well, this thread's subject will naturally attract the St.Petersburg brigade and all their little sympathisers.
After all, Arrse isn't known as help site for cleaning keyboards. why come on here to ask?

Anyway, what I meant to post was the latest score count from Kyiv Post. I've been having a read of Kyiv Post most days, it seems more relevant than the Daily Mail...
Russian losses.png

Last edited:

ChunderBunny

Old-Salt
Last week we were remarking on the Russian standard Battalion Tactical Group formation of 600-800 fighting men being committed to action as a unit comprising a mere 30-40 men in strength - a platoon-sized formation. So why are the Russians running out of men? Their losses across the board, as reported, seem to be pretty much four times the Uke's but their pool of bayonets, at least on paper, is somewhat vaster - albeit poorly-trained.

Edited to add: subsequent reply by Sadurian now seen.
Russia also needs a lot of troops at home (it's a big country with a lot of infrastructure that has a habit of randomly catching fire, a lot of border to cover, including the one with China which isn't going to be stripped of troops (despite Xi's "support"), plus the internal security to keep an eye on the various Republics that aren't ethnically Slav and are generally treated as 2nd class citizens.

Plus it's difficult to intimidate the Baltic states when all you have is 4 squadski armed with spades lurking around the border like a nonce outside a primary school.

Plus a good 20% of the paper troops never existed and are there to pay for Dachas for senior officers.

Latest Threads