Votes: 9 3.1%
  • By Christmas

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Some time in 2023

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Before Hell Freezes Over

Votes: 68 23.5%

• Total voters
Raised that question the other week how much Ru was burning through and how much they had in reserve, According to Ukraine they are firing up to 60k of shells per day very soon the stores will be empty.

On that twitter link though good point that if Belarus is stripping it's ammo dumps to feed the Ru logistics demands then other than cause mischief around the border they are in no position to cross and invade.
So if or when the Russians run out of arty rds in the near future they will be right royally stuffed, no arty, infantry about as much use a concrete parachute and running out of tanks and AFVs in general.

HarryBosch

War Hero
Just saw this headline in the Telegraph:

Donbas is the price for peace in Ukraine, says Church of England​

Bishop of Leeds, the Rt Revd Nick Baines, defies Prime Minister in suggesting defenders should lay down their weapons

Behind a paywall but I think this is fair use to quote this:

"The Bishop of Leeds, the Rt Revd Nick Baines, accused Western policy makers of underestimating Russia as “the defeated Cold War power” and suggested that Ukrainian soldiers lay down their weapons and consider the annexation of their land in order to achieve peace.”

The Bishop, is the Church of England’s lead Bishop on foreign affairs. I don't know where to start with commenting on this. Has he not seen the appalling war crimes being committed against civilians by Russian troops in areas that have been occupied?

bishop.nick@leeds.anglican.org

ETA the Bishop's reply: "I didn’t. Try reading the paper instead of the Telegraph". Fair enough.

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
This reminds me of the handover in Beijing before the 2012 Olympics. You may recall that a Double Decker came rolling slowly out, at that point I was thinking FFS, and then the first bars of "Whole Lotta Love" sounded and it sort of dropped into place for me. They don't think of us the way we do. Either positively or negatively.
I really wish UK Gov would produce stuff like that, to counter the Leftwaffe's constant dripping. It's xlnt.

So if or when the Russians run out of arty rds in the near future they will be right royally stuffed, no arty, infantry about as much use a concrete parachute and running out of tanks and AFVs in general.
Pretty much, I reckon that's why the UKf stayed fighting in SD for so long before pulling back battered the more professional forces that Ru had, Also take into account the shells lost due to the recent ammo dump strikes. Plus the wear and tear on the gun barrells you wouldn't want to be on a gun line with worn out barrels

44F28FC0-FB8D-4616-84BB-7F32FFEC6512.jpeg

It’s the eyebrows :-D

What's disappointing is the comments under this tweet, they may be just Russian trolls but it seems a lot of 《British people》People on Twitter aren't supportive of Ukraine.

Glastonbury is international so will attract a worldwide audience particularly troll farmers. I think British people and most others are supportive or at least neutral.

last one, thats pretty light - BA, no water that I can see, just ammo and dump pouches with an NLAW. Surprised theres no RPG up front.
Not exactly 'front line' so perhaps a rear echelon moving up? Which suggests that the front line is a lot further forward, and probably has a lot more better things to do than taking video clips to post on the Internet.

Bottom vid - smart Uke' has his watchface turned inward, and it looks like there might be enough slack in his glove cuff to pull it over, too (he needs to dig out the housewife and darn the fingertip, though). Contrast with the Sov' lad in one of yesterday's postings - the one where they all jump in the truck, then get under it, then leg it for a nearby building in their ammo dump as it's being shelled - with his watchface outward in the normal manner, plus it's got a nice bright white trim.

The tactical nouse of the Uke's seems far, far superior to the Sov' conscripts on every level and in every way. No wonder the three-day special military operation to sieze the entire country is approaching it's fourth month and the Sov's are barely off their start line, relatively speaking.
The Russkis watch is also tip top 1975 petrol station quality.
Screenshot_20220622-074944_YouTube.jpg

Bottom of the barrel? All seem to be able to read and seem fit enough . Not the Ming’s we are told about . Quite a few ladies as well. Wonder how much rape goes on in training .
Interesting that for an oath taking and swearing in ceremony none are wearing hats/ saluting and doing that talking-while-saluting thing the Russians do.

Katsap is derived from 'Kak Tsap' = Like Goat (in Ukrainian).
Most of Russian commoners were bearded especially in the Northers parts of the country due to customs and cold climate. By contrast most of Ukrainians used to shave beards due to local climate and habits.
So a Russian in Ukraine looked like a goat.
I did say "one of the posited explanations". You have presented another one. The exact origins of such terms are difficult to define.

Lomax

War Hero
Raised that question the other week how much Ru was burning through and how much they had in reserve, According to Ukraine they are firing up to 60k of shells per day very soon the stores will be empty.

On that twitter link though good point that if Belarus is stripping it's ammo dumps to feed the Ru logistics demands then other than cause mischief around the border they are in no position to cross and invade.
There was a report a couple of weeks ago from pro-Russian sources that they were almost exhausted 122mm shells in the western region, furthermore the northern and southern stocks were low with only the eastern districts being good. I first learned this from translated Russian blogger, but shared with Trent on Twitter.

What this means is difficult to say but reliable since its from a Russian source, 122mm is treated as 2nd line but they have ~5000 artillery pieces. It also tells us that consumption exceeds production at least for 122mm. At this rate I'd estimate they likely will be running out of 122mm by August at the latest.

Would love to know info on 152mm, but if they've tapped Belarus then it does not sound good (for Russia).

To explain the Bishop's viewpoint (and not to justify it).

The Bish is the spokesman on Foreign Affairs. Given the UK's extensive support for Ukraine, it is his job to comment. Goodness knows the Church is (rightly) castigated often enough when they fail to comment on major issues.

The Christians have the concept of the Just War. This has several requirements, but the relevent one is that the Ukrainian war of self-defence is only just if it has a reasonable chance of success. The evidence on the ground, as of today, is that the Russians are going to take the remainder of the Donbas. And, as such, the Ukrainian self-defence of this region is not Just. They should therefore accept the surrender of this region to obtain peace. This is not the same argument for the surrender of the whole of Ukraine, which has been shown to be Just with the withdrawal of Russian soldiers from Kyiv.

That the Ukrainians may later recapture the Donbas as more weapons arrive is, certainly from a religious man's viewpoint, by no means certain, and presumably not 'reasonable'.

The Russian invasion is not Just because of their wholesale committing of war crimes. It would be interesting to get the Bish's views on this, and on the evidence so far available.

As military men, we would fight well beyond the point of a 'reasonable' chance of success, and this causes a fundamental difference of opinion between the Church and the military.

That is all very nicely explained.

It also highlights that the bishop seems to have had his blinkers on when he put pen to paper.

Why is he discussing whether Ukraine is fighting a just or unjust war?

Ukraine is fighting a war of survival against an invading barbarian.

If the bishop's motives were soley about wanting to see peace, and those motives were pure, his attention would rightly be focussed upon what Russia and the Russian people should be doing to bring about peace.

The bishop is not the first, nor will he be the last, to spin narratives around Ukraine having to capitulate or compromise for "peace" to come about. Why? Because those talking heads are thinking and speaking selfishly. They are showing little or no interest in the realities on the ground, the realities of the conflict and certainly have no thought about 'right' or 'justice'. They are only interested in a quick solution that allows a return to business as normal where that is seen as trading with Russia or lower fuel prices etc etc.

It seems to me the bishop and church are just trying to be populist rather than principled.

I’m in compete agreement. The Russian artillery units firing from Russia into Kharkiv are legitimate targets as far as I’m concerned. As it the bridge into the Crimea.

The hesitancy to hit Russian assets/targets outside Ukrainian sovereign borders is bizarre. All it does is provide Russia strategic and operational advantages at zero cost.

To my mind, UA heavy weapons should hit Russian targets wherever they stand.