Votes: 9 3.2%
  • By Christmas

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Some time in 2023

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • Before Hell Freezes Over

Votes: 68 23.9%

• Total voters
I wonder how the public will react to the reveal of the 'Spanish Practices' that the RMT has enjoyed for so long. Some like the unions wanting to keep a series of bizarre regulations in place including sending nine workers to 'change a plug socket' and getting 12 minutes' pay for a 60-second walk. The antiquated rules - dubbed Spanish practices - also include permission to start their lunchbreak again if a boss starts talking to them. There is also a walking allowance that means workers can be paid for 12 minutes' work for a stroll that takes only 50 seconds.

Recent dispute was over managers using FaceTime during Covid to talk to staff because that was a technology that hadn't been consulted on.' A regulation that prevents a forward-facing camera in a car or van from being turned on. The need to roster people in whole teams 'regardless of the size of the task' is perhaps the most unusual. A source told The Telegraph: 'We can't roster individuals. Let's imagine you want to change a single socket to a double in your kitchen. Potentially you'd need an electrician, a tiler and a plumber as your dishwasher waste pipe will need adjusting too. 'Alternatively, you could find a competent odd-jobber to do the whole task. In Network Rail we can't roster individuals, only teams and we can't multi-skill those teams so we'd need to send a team of three electricians, three tilers and three plumbers – nine people to do a job one person could do.

'Eighty per cent of the most common infrastructure faults could be fixed by small, multi-skilled teams.'
They also want to stop the introduction of new safety planning tools. RMT bosses are so militant they say they do not want workers to use video-calls, demand managers communicate with staff by regular phone only. Workers should not have to share the same van - meaning two vehicles frequently have to be sent to the same site.

I seem to remember a very militant Union walk out by BA Cabin staff. They quite rapidly lost support when some of these extremely ridiculous 'perks' were revealed. They had had it good for years but were greedy and took it too far.

Yes the country is in a dire situation, but too few people are prepared to remember the massive costs associated with the lock down and financial support that was provided.

Belt tightening by everyone is going to be a n unpalatable fact of life, the RMT had better brace themselves for automation and a cold dose of reality.
Seismic (borderline Tectonic) thread drift there mate. :)

But you seem to have got away with it! Well done!! :thumleft:
I'll try not to draw further attention to it ^~

Last edited:
Straight out of a well read playbook. I must admit I only learned of the " Commissar order " recently.

History does repeat right down to the devil in the detail.

I often wondered why captured Germans from the Normandy beaches thought we were coming to fight the Russians and not them

They need to be smashed.
The Ruf had a habbit of mutilating PoW's early on in the opening days of Op Barbarossa including cutting gentials off whilst the victim was still alive, They have kept the tradition of being sadistic bastards alive.

Ukrainian Territorial Defence and some Army personnel are still holding and defending Zolote, Hirske and Novoivanivka. They have been encircled by a pincer movement of the 90th Gds Tank Div - part of their drive to the SW of Lysychansk and into the southern suburbs of the town/city.
The bulk however appear to have withdrawn.

I think if I was in a territorial defence force fighting in my own area. I’d be staying as well. Go home, and blend in. Maybe keep my head down and tend to my crops and livestock. Maybe go home and report back what’s happening. Stay in the local area and carry on the fight.

I’ve been amazed with how many locals have refused to move. It’s been a right pain in the arse for the Ukrainian military having to fight the Russians and keep the locals safe.

NSP

LE

I think if I was in a territorial defence force fighting in my own area. I’d be staying as well. Go home, and blend in. Maybe keep my head down and tend to my crops and livestock. Maybe go home and report back what’s happening. Stay in the local area and carry on the fight.

I’ve been amazed with how many locals have refused to move. It’s been a right pain in the arse for the Ukrainian military having to fight the Russians and keep the locals safe.
And I bet they've all got mobiles with WhatsApp on.

much as we would like to see Putin get his P45, no-one has the foggiest idea what would replace him and pretty much every option between peaceful transition and civil war is on the table.
Civil war in Russia - I warm to that idea, instantly, primitive beast that I am.

I'd propose that we arm all parties to the conflict, in the hope of ruSS obliterating itself . . . .​
. . . .but it's late, I have drink taken and I may not have thought it all the way through . . .​

I certainly had no idea that the Federation comprised so many smaller States (never been my area of interest). I wonder how many could have any thought - at all - of secession. Just as many, I suppose, as would the States in the USA? ("...When Alabama gets the Bomb" ©Tom Lehrer).
This cropped up in my Google feed at reveille today. I clocked it at 07:00 while I was taking a d[fill in the blanks]p but today's been a tad full-on, so I've not yet even scanned it.

My instinct is tha iNews is pretty robust as MSM reporting goes - happy to be disabused, if that's plainly delusional.

My instant reaction is to wonder if this is just part of a wave of meejah hype, or genuinely the first visible stirrings of something serious in Putain's backyard?

If the latter: chuffed tae feckin' monkeys (cf. my previous post re. civil war)

Civil war in Russia - I warm to that idea, instantly, primitive beast that I am.

I'd propose that we arm all parties to the conflict, in the hope of ruSS obliterating itself . . . .​
. . . .but it's late, I have drink taken and I may not have thought it all the way through . . .​

I think all you would need to do is to casually misplace a few boxes of AK's, and ammo, around select parts of the Federation and things would brew nicely.

The information out of Ukraine is contradictory.

For example, some private news channels suggest the whole pocket was evacuated entirely and have been saying that all day.

On the otherhand, the Ukrainian General Staff and Ministry of Defence said in their morning briefings that the Russians were trying to surround Zolotoe and in the afternoon that the assault on Hirske had failed whilst the settlements to their north had fallen - and thus the ring closed. Implication being Zolotoe and Hirske still in their hands.

Russian sources also suggest a pocket is still held by the Ukrainian Army and forces from the separatist DNR 1st Corps are assigned to provide overwatch and then squeeze it dry.

You say the "bulk" withdrew. Is that purely speculative or do you have some solid evidence to that effect? None of the sources I have read indicate any scale beyond "some withdrew" or "most of the regulars withdrew" which is not necessarily the bulk of the total force there 4 days ago.

As a comparison, almost all the regular troops left the Severodonetsk pocket east of the river. I believe a battaion-ish each from the 81st and 95th Airborne brigades. However, the foreign volunteers, Territorial Defence forces and other volunteer forces outnumbered the regulars and remain in situ facing down fascist Rosguard and separatist LNR 2nd Corps conscripts. It went quiet (as in no assault just artillery bombardment) when Russia pulled back its own troops to rest for their next push somewhere else.

So apparently Lenta.Ru published an article where the Duma's Yuri Shvytkin calls for bombing the US Embassy in Kviy over the US supplying the MLRS to Ukraine.

Yuri ShvytkinState Duma deputy
“This once again underlines the third step-by-step movement towards a world war on the part of the United States. You need to understand that we must respond harshly.

In my opinion, today the reaction should also take place in those countries that supply weapons. And not just to destroy infrastructure and so on, but I think the main decision-making center is the US Embassy. I think that sooner or later this will become a target for the armed forces of Russia, the people's militia of the DPR and LPR. My position is that it is necessary to destroy the government quarter in Kyiv, it is necessary to destroy the corresponding points.

Yes, this work is being carried out by the Ministry of Defense, but more massive strikes need to be delivered, ”the deputy said.

The Bishop of Leeds is not the Church of England. Despite his heroic efforts to get his name into the broadsheets, most people will be saying Nick who? His comments as reported do not merit attention.

He's the CoE "spokesperson" on foreign affairs.

His comments merit mention for their unmitigated shamefulness. If his comments are as reported, he's beneath contempt.

Latest Threads