Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Some time in 2023

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • Before Hell Freezes Over

Votes: 68 23.9%

• Total voters

TractorStats

Old-Salt
Beeb reporting that Ukraine and Moldova have been awarded candidate status to join the EU. That should wind up Vlad just a little bit more
Sadly caveated by 'it could take decades' and 'some members are lukewarm'. Vlad might just emit a small wry chuckle at that.

Von Ryanski Expresski

Trains, surprised they have not been hit yet.

The old man told me how the local terrorists in Malaysia used to hit the trains carrying military and civilian personnel down from Malaysia to Singapore. Dead simples. They used to set up a firing position inside the treeline, wait for the train and simply squeeze the trigger, then just hold the weapon fixed in one place in the firing position. The train did all the work of moving, just aim at the same fixed point in space and the train will naturally move itself across the target area evenly spacing the 30 rounds at 900rpm. The train is a half mile down the tracks before it has stopped and the CT's had legged it to safety.

The guard force on the train has to do all the heavy lifting of returning fire by swinging and pivoting.

Clever preparation and application also meant knowing the height of windows and openings so that when prepping the ambush they could already be aimed in on the desired fixed point in space for maximum effect.

Reported by Tom Cooper on his blog today:
Ah yes, and ‘for the records’: Dejan Beric, Serbian serving with Separatists in Ukraine, has announced the Russians are not taking any Ukrainian artillery-troops captive any more. Means: if they catch any, they are executing them. ‘Good to know’, I would say: is likely to have similar consequences like the German ‘Commissar Order’ of 1941…

NSP

LE
Trains, surprised they have not been hit yet.

The old man told me how the local terrorists in Malaysia used to hit the trains carrying military and civilian personnel down from Malaysia to Singapore. Dead simples. They used to set up a firing position inside the treeline, wait for the train and simply squeeze the trigger, then just hold the weapon fixed in one place in the firing position. The train did all the work of moving, just aim at the same fixed point in space and the train will naturally move itself across the target area evenly spacing the 30 rounds at 900rpm. The train is a half mile down the tracks before it has stopped and the CT's had legged it to safety.

The guard force on the train has to do all the heavy lifting of returning fire by swinging and pivoting.

Clever preparation and application also meant knowing the height of windows and openings so that when prepping the ambush they could already be aimed in on the desired fixed point in space for maximum effect.
The climax to The Virgin Soldiers features a troop train being attacked by commie guerillas in Malaya, if I remember rightly, presumably because it was as you say - a prominent feature of the campaign.

I presume that the Uke's aren't running military trains within the published timetables or on fixed schedules and lines so they are hard to target? Given the history of attacks on the logistics train (no pun intended) I can see them getting whacked along with road convoys by any Ukrainian stay-behinds or rolled-over units that find themselves switching to guerilla ops in the Soviet rear, though. I mean; why not...?!

Donbas is the price for peace in Ukraine, says Church of England​

"The Bishop of Leeds, the Rt Revd Nick Baines, accused Western policy makers of underestimating Russia as “the defeated Cold War power” and suggested that Ukrainian soldiers lay down their weapons and consider the annexation of their land in order to achieve peace.”
The Bishop of Leeds is not the Church of England. Despite his heroic efforts to get his name into the broadsheets, most people will be saying Nick who? His comments as reported do not merit attention.

Ukraines Navy is about to double in size :boogie:
Good news for the salty ol sea dogs in Ukraine , lets hope they can cause some real mayhem.
I just so want the spare parts and other equipment to mean a MOAB for Snake Island :-D They must have a spare IL-76 kicking about to deliver it ?

Last edited:

NSP

LE
rr0ckcpkid791.jpg
Now that starkly shows just how little the Russians have actually taken. Given that they originally expected to have the whole country in the bag in three days...

Who’s been encircled? They’ve withdrawn.

Ukrainian Territorial Defence and some Army personnel are still holding and defending Zolote, Hirske and Novoivanivka. They have been encircled by a pincer movement of the 90th Gds Tank Div - part of their drive to the SW of Lysychansk and into the southern suburbs of the town/city.

Ukrainian Territorial Defence and some Army personnel are still holding and defending Zolote, Hirske and Novoivanivka. They have been encircled by a pincer movement of the 90th Gds Tank Div - part of their drive to the SW of Lysychansk and into the southern suburbs of the town/city.
Apparently the UA are out of Zolote and Hirske.

NSP

LE
Have they wilfully stayed behind to tie up Soviet units, though? Are they buying time for the main withdrawal to get established in the new line of resistance? Are they planning to disappear into the countryside when it gets too heavy, with a shedload of ATGM and radios with which to terrorise armoured and supply columns with turret-tossers and artillery strikes?

The longer this goes on the more it seems that the Uke's aren't throwing themselves into situations on a whim. Someone somewhere seems to have a plan each time.

Exactly. How charitable to side with the land-grabbing murdering, raping, torturing, looting aggressor rather than the put-upon and downtrodden defending their homes and sovereignty.

Edited to add: thank God that I'm an atheist!
I'm a fundamental atheist! I believe in beheadings and torture to remove the corrupting influences of all religions.

Have they wilfully stayed behind to tie up Soviet units, though? Are they buying time for the main withdrawal to get established in the new line of resistance? Are they planning to disappear into the countryside when it gets too heavy, with a shedload of ATGM and radios with which to terrorise armoured and supply columns with turret-tossers and artillery strikes?

The longer this goes on the more it seems that the Uke's aren't throwing themselves into situations on a whim. Someone somewhere seems to have a plan each time.

My understanding is that those remaining in the pocket are Territorial Defence locals defending their own homes and volunteers who stayed behind to help them and buy time for others to get out before the ring was completed.

I suspect the idea, apart from defending their homes themselves, is indeed a deliberate attempt to tie down Russian troops and be a nuisance. Just like the Mariupol defenders.

They all had time to evacuate the pocket, but chose to stay and fight on. It is the only encirclement by choice I can think of.

And if you're wondering why I mention the encirclement by choice part, you need to read back the origins of the discussion you have joined.

NSP

LE
My understanding is that those remaining in the pocket are Territorial Defence locals defending their own homes and volunteers who stayed behind to help them and buy time for others to get out before the ring was completed.

I suspect the idea, apart from defending their homes themselves, is indeed a deliberate attempt to tie down Russian troops and be a nuisance. Just like the Mariupol defenders.

They all had time to evacuate the pocket, but chose to stay and fight on. It is the only encirclement by choice I can think of.

And if you're wondering why I mention the encirclement by choice part, you need to read back the origins of the discussion you have joined.
The region has form for using the terrain to advantage when rolled over and finding themselves in the rear to wreak havoc on the rear echelon and supply train - just ask the Wehrmacht. I don't imagine that the modern Uke's are oblivious to the lessons in tactical exploitation of their homeland afforded by history.