Votes: 9 3.1%
  • By Christmas

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Some time in 2023

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Before Hell Freezes Over

Votes: 68 23.5%

• Total voters
And that's exactly what a good leader does, listen to his experts and advisors, formulate/sign off on a plan and have it carried out.

Or are you saying that his advisors and civil servants are responsible for the mistakes his government has made or is that on his head alone?
I'm saying that he's failing to give credit where it's due, and (actually) he wasn't so much leading the COVID response, as hogging the limelight.

But I'm not gonna pursue this conversation on this thread.

Feel free to take it up elsewhere, without me.

I do not know for sure and someone hopefully on here will know but would not the preponderance of Russian supporters in Crimea simply be down to the Russian military having had such a large presence in the area, troops, marines sailors and dependents etc and the displacement of the Ukrainian supporting population by oppression and bigotry?

No. Crimea has been part of Russia proper for centuries, and a selection of tsars up to Stalin had Russification programmes that essentially cleansed the native Tartar Turk population.

Crimea was Russian until Kruschev gave it to Ukraine only in the 50s, and has always hosted the Russian fleet and significant ground military forces. Even before 2014 there was a massive independence/pro Russian movement there. As much as I hate to see Russia gain something from its aggression, Crimea isn’t going back. The people genuinely feel Russian. And the few that don’t have already left.

Interesting thought.

It was working alright as a population control mechanism until St. Bob of the Bog's stuck his oar in and started insisting we feed them. Arid desert cannot ordinarily support lots of life, h messed with the balance and now they all apparently want to come to the UK to say "thanks" to him.

Surely you are not saying that a goal of Russian disinformation is to cause panic buying and resultant shortages?

Oddly the US authorities have just agreed to allow baby formula to be imported from the UK, Australia and Germany

Which would be advantageous to Putin and his cronies. As ex KGB making trouble would have been something of which he has experience.
As well.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
No. Crimea has been part of Russia proper for centuries, and a selection of tsars up to Stalin had Russification programmes that essentially cleansed the native Tartar Turk population.

Crimea was Russian until Kruschev gave it to Ukraine only in the 50s, and has always hosted the Russian fleet and significant ground military forces. Even before 2014 there was a massive independence/pro Russian movement there. As much as I hate to see Russia gain something from its aggression, Crimea isn’t going back. The people genuinely feel Russian. And the few that don’t have already left.
I think you are broadly correct which is one of the reasons that the civilised world let the war criminal Putin get away with it.

Things have changed. It should be objective of the civilised world to strip Russia of all of its colonial possessions. Crimea, Konigsburg, Sakhalin. The population can then decide if they wish to stay and be part of normal decent society or go to Russia.

Helping Africa to feed itself Filling African dictator's Swiss bank accounts - has cost the west £billions over several decades already.
Corrected FOC

I think you are broadly correct which is one of the reasons that the civilised world let the war criminal Putin get away with it.

Things have changed. It should be objective of the civilised world to strip Russia of all of its colonial possessions. Crimea, Konigsburg, Sakhalin. The population can then decide if they wish to stay and be part of normal decent society or go to Russia.
I don’t think the history of Crimea factored into western thinking at all. I think it was pure moral cowardice and greed that meant we were passive in 2014. If we had stood up then, none of this would have happened.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
No, it will give you average groundspeed which might be close for a TAS but you really need windspeed and direction.

At release height stop over a fixed and allow wind drift for 4 seconds. Estimate direction and distance. Move over target similar direction and distance.
Easier option is to purchase smaller cheaper drones, equip them with explosive charges and fly them direct into the target
Imagine the Russian troops seeing a small drone coming towards them, then exploding on contact, even a relatively small charge would cause injury, and unnerved the troops

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I doubt it, just following Goering's model and nicking as much artwork as they can. Thieving Russian pikey wannabee's.
Zhukov was pretty good at that too. Art, statues, jewellery, furs, you name it. So much in fact that even Stalin had to deal with it. The book I reviewed about post-war Berlin was very illuminating.

Latest Threads