Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Some time in 2023

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Before Hell Freezes Over

Votes: 68 23.5%

• Total voters

Londo

LE

PEPSICO has decided not to ship 2000 tonnes of Scottish seed potatoes for planting in Russia.
The potatoes were due to be shipped from Aberdeenshire company Saltire Seed to Russia in the next few days. However following criticisms of the trade in light of sanctions against Russia as a result of its invasion of Ukraine, PepsiCo has now said that it will find another use for the potatoes outside Russia.
A ScotGov spokesperson stressed that it was not responsible for approving export deals – that was reserved to Westminster – but Scottish officials were required to carry out various activities in relation to approved deals, including the inspection and certification of goods. "The Scottish Government and its economic agencies will use all available powers not to support trade and investment activity with Russia,” said the spokesperson.
I thank you . I remembered the headline of the potatoes being shipped to Russia , I believe by Walkers (for crisp making?) but had read nothing since .
Hopefully if they are still knocking about they can be shipped to Ukraine which will be in need of food .

I posted this previously but perhaps some have missed it so I will post it again.

All of that may have been true until a very few weeks ago, but I doubt that the Rus army's arty people are incapable of learning from their mistakes. I know nothing of this arm, but I expect its' commanders do, and have adapted; nobody makes general rank without being capable of adapting to a changed situation - effectively or, if the indoctrination is so deep, not. A few directions and dark hints from Moscow will have ensured that they make the best possible use of their assets. I'm not optimistic. Unless the Ukrainians produce a magic destroyer of Rus arty quickly, they're in trouble.

Snake island would be a big russkie fly in that ointment. If it's garrison wasn't totally destroyed you would have to go out wide towards Sevastopol to save getting smacked about trying to sneak along the coast.

Just threaten a blockade of Kalingrad if any shipping gets attacked

All of that may have been true until a very few weeks ago, but I doubt that the Rus army's arty people are incapable of learning from their mistakes. I know nothing of this arm, but I expect its' commanders do, and have adapted; nobody makes general rank without being capable of adapting to a changed situation - effectively or, if the indoctrination is so deep, not. A few directions and dark hints from Moscow will have ensured that they make the best possible use of their assets. I'm not optimistic. Unless the Ukrainians produce a magic destroyer of Rus arty quickly, they're in trouble.
It might go either way. A commander who ignores doctrine and has spectacular success might be lauded as a genius, but is still implicitly criticising the system. A commander who ignores doctrine and fails to show success might be shown the door. Or top-floor window, depending on how badly his superiors take it.

There is also the issue of high-ranking commanders becoming a little thin on the ground. A newly promoted artillery commander might want to show off his initiative,* but I suspect that he is more likely to follow the standard doctrine until he becomes more established in post. After all, if he fails then he has followed the approved course of action and is therefore not to blame... much.

*As I imagine a Western commander would do in that situation.

All of that may have been true until a very few weeks ago, but I doubt that the Rus army's arty people are incapable of learning from their mistakes.
Someone posted up thread about a choke point the Ukrainians had mined, a few days ago Rus lost a BTR there. Now they've lost a tracked vehicle going through the same choke point sometime after. They don't seem to do learning from their mistakes and long may it continue.

Just threaten a blockade of Kalingrad if any shipping gets attacked
Blockade = act of war.

A best bet would be rope the eastern plague monkeys in and let them know how it would help the way they are viewed in the world....once they have said no the next best option would be say humanitarian mission coming through, the bits you can see on the surface are the nice bits, the stuff you can't see will be covering them and will neutralise anyone taking action against the humanitarian effort.

Realistically what the west should be doing is running all over the third world shouting that what is to come is 100% down to russia and try to get the russian client states to start moaning at moscow to isolate them as much as possible, but we won't and they wouldn't.

Someone posted up thread about a choke point the Ukrainians had mined, a few days ago Rus lost a BTR there. Now they've lost a tracked vehicle going through the same choke point sometime after. They don't seem to do learning from their mistakes and long may it continue.
More an indication that their combat int people aren't doing a good job. Do they have any 'combat int' people?

Londo

LE
Still looks cleaner than Glasgow these days though
The nearest I've seen similar to that video was an article of somewhere in East Europe or possibly Russia where they moved large amounts of Roma into the blocks of flats .
One block featured had piles of rubbish 30ft high where everything is just disposed out the windows .
So the place in this vid. still has a bit to go .

Londo

LE
Seed taters? Probably animal fodder...
and yet a desperate need for seed spuds in Ukraine . so that villagers and smallholders can grow their own . There is an ongoing project distributing 25KG sacks to those that can use them .

Another retired general who feels that this should be an all out effort by all the allies, and that more capable weapons could and should be provided to Ukraine.

For too long people have been afraid of 'provoking' Russia.

Russia does not need provocation, its unprovoked aggression has been going on for far too long.

Some of the more timid in the EU, who are continuing to hold back with joining in this effort to stop this behaviour, are doing Ukraine, the free world, NATO, and the West no favours at all.

I thank you . I remembered the headline of the potatoes being shipped to Russia , I believe by Walkers (for crisp making?) but had read nothing since .
Hopefully if they are still knocking about they can be shipped to Ukraine which will be in need of food .

Q-ship? Couple of false containers with drop down sides, Harpoon in there and make a run for Odesa.

The nearest I've seen similar to that video was an article of somewhere in East Europe or possibly Russia where they moved large amounts of Roma into the blocks of flats .
One block featured had piles of rubbish 30ft high where everything is just disposed out the windows .
So the place in this vid. still has a bit to go .
I've seen middens in many places, from Londonderry to Luanda, but have always wondered why people believe that living in that way is the best way of living, for the circumstance. It demonstrates a distinct lack of self-respect. The patrol locations of both Rus and Ukr in this war seem to demonstrate this behaviour (from all the videos), not to mention the foul behaviour of Rus people everywhere in their unconquered territory. A good Sergeant Major with a big stick's what they need.

Wader 2

War Hero
...... I doubt that the Rus army's arty people are incapable of learning from their mistakes. ......
Nobody makes general rank without being capable of adapting to a changed situation - effectively or, if the indoctrination is so deep, not. A few directions and dark hints from Moscow will have ensured that they make the best possible use of their assets.
They may learn but I suspect initiative is not encouraged and its display can be seen as a threat by their seniors.

Wader 2

War Hero
I've seen middens in many places, from Londonderry to Luanda, but have always wondered why people believe that living in that way is the best way of living, for the circumstance. It demonstrates a distinct lack of self-respect. The patrol locations of both Rus and Ukr in this war seem to demonstrate this behaviour (from all the videos), not to mention the foul behaviour of Rus people everywhere in their unconquered territory. A good Sergeant Major with a big stick's what they need.
We did a survival exercise once, in short order, shelter erected, fire place created, wood store sorted, pitch swept and cleaned, fence erected....

As someone said, any fool can be uncomfortable.

And the Army too, somewhere on exercise in Germany, marquee, dining tables, Mess silver.....

Could such ships be impounded if they are found to be breaking sanctions against Russia if the sanction conditions were to be amended to include such a thing?
Seen a report earlier today that the Russian flagged ships are switching off their AIS trackers and going dark to blockage run or do ship to ship transfers or possibly drop anchor and act as storage China and India are the main culprats for buying it.

The key will be whether the French & Germans keep betraying them with empty promises and lukewarm words, while handing vast amounts of hard cash to the Russians.
Well...
1653498971226.png

As previously posted way back, this thread explains all

PS I see that this content has been nicked and turned into a you tube vid

Reminds me of British WW2 artillery fire control - any observer can talk to any battery in range in a big flat network, so anything from one gun to a "Yoke Target" concentration of every piece in the AGRA is possible.

There might be the makings of a plan of Baldrickian cunning here. A total lack of knowledge of how these things work combined with the ability to use google is a dangerous thing, never a meercat around when you need one....

Hong Kong is a big player in the flag of convenience game and Hong Kong registered ships fly the Chinese national flag above the Hong Kong flag. That could be an interesting game of chicken for the russian navy.

Flag of convenience - Wikipedia

Ship registration in Hong Kong - Wikipedia

Latest Threads