• By Christmas

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Some time in 2023

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • Before Hell Freezes Over

Votes: 68 23.9%

• Total voters
Remind me how that works?

You drop them from helicopters don't you? There must be a minimum height I guess.

What could possibly go wrong?
As the article states, these are war criminals trained in chucking bombs out on defenceless areas.
Syria was not awash with MANPADS and the rebels there didn't have any air force.

They are in theatre, but keeping well vanck.

Apologies, off topic, but it seems that large parties for 'flamboyant' types were the source of some of the European cases.

Quite. Initial transmission would more likely be from bush meat than hot monkey lust under the velvety African night.

Thereafter, transfer of fluids among humans by close contact would be more likely than them eating each other (more's the pity).

You asked the same question twice , the answer to both was within @Archimedes post :

hoovered up various interesting electrons and returned with their take to eager J2 types without anyone (NATO, Ukraine and certainly not Russia) being any the wiser..
Still.

Why would you send an F35 into eastern Ukraine?

Why would you risk losing an F35 in western Ukraine?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Usual apologies if posted, but there can’t be very many ‘Let’s go full Nazi’ boxes left for Russia to tick

Unfortunately, there is a large box 'left to tick' :

1653225949399.png

I can't accept that, I have made the point over and over again. That is like the bully blaming the recipient.

But it clearly isn't and probably the reason why nobody buys into your narrative.

Russia is the bully. Ukraine is the recipient. Since we are discussing Germany (and other European countries), your analogy is utterly incoherent.

Russia has caused the aggression no doubt about it. I can see no evidence that the EU ( much as I detest the organisation) has facilitated anything of the sort. Those that want to blame Germany in this context have very short memories. Even in Merkel's tenure the vast majority has been within the realms of the EU Law. It may have been short sighted on the part of the EU but it was initially driven by an attempt to reform Russia. That has evidently failed. No doubt!! It has left the EU in a weaker position. That is true, No doubt!!

Now as to your proposition that each country can make it's own decisions, given the EU's own mantras about things like trade deals-draw your own conclusions. But VDL has determined to make this an EU matter. We at least have gotten rid of this idiocy, at least in principle.

And this seems to be just an opportunity for you to ramble on about your dislike of the EU. It completely avoids discussing the point at hand.

Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014.

Germany chose to continue with the Nordsteam 2 project and continued to buy Russian energy with little or no effort to diversify away. It was a choice that rewarded Russia for its invasion and destabilization of Ukraine at the expense of the later.

Germany's policy - along with other likeminded European states - of doing business with Russia in an attempt to reform it failed. Evidence of that is longstanding and manifest. That some are only willing to acknowledge it now is evidence of their short memory and blinkers. Ukraine is paying for that failure, and for the selfish choices made by Germany and others, with their blood. Zelensky's words which I agree with.

Shame the Ukes didn't keep their gobs shut though - they might have got another one before the Russians tumbled to what they were doing.

I still don't think that it makes much difference as the squadieski’s are not savvy enough to be aware of this stuff. Added to which they have roving propaganda film crews who are taking pics of the speshul operation to show on telly.

Wagner Group and Syrian mercenaries.

They were used in the Sudan as well. TY02 and TY04 were the Antonov delivery vehicles dropping them. Very inaccurate and usually dropped from altitude so little chance of hitting specific targets. Usually a string of 200 litre drums rolled off the ramp then on to the next target. More of a terror weapon, much like their use in Syria.

With Uke access to MANPADS, I think the delivery aircraft will be operating even higher, so the impacts will be even more random. Not good around civilian areas, although the rus and their clients are not really the kind of people who give much of a damn about that.

Remind me how that works?

You drop them from helicopters don't you? There must be a minimum height I guess.

What could possibly go wrong?
Starstreak?

And how many false stories does one have to trudge through before one gets a hit to crow about? That's the key for me. The hit rate from social media is pitifully low.

Not so long ago this thread was awash with positivity regarding a Ukrainian victory. The mood based around an inevitable counter offensive curb stomping orcs back to the 2013 border or further. How much of that wishful thinking was derived from unhelpful and ill-informed speculation on social media when other sources were painting a very different picture?

That mood of positivity has declined dramatically. I haven't been called a pessimist for over a week. :)
We must be reading a different thread and looking at different social media.

SM isn't awash with digestible articles from traditional press; it's awash with recent, direct access combat footage filmed in the first person and drone footage. It's in 4k and it's extraordinary. The footage alone does the speaking. There is also interesting & useful insights from every aspect; from why Russian tyres split in the mud to what it means when Italian politicians start talking about peace deals.

As for this thread, I think people are still giddy at the aftermath of Ru River crossing attempts. People haven't become quiet and pessimistic, they're speechless.

Tankies gonna tankie, here and on social media.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

RUSI's Mr Bronk offers his thoughts on Russia's narrative and direction in the next five years.

I read the article yesterday - he lost his way a bit discussing the ground war.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I still don't think that it makes much difference as the squadieski’s are not savvy enough to be aware of this stuff. Added to which they have roving propaganda film crews who are taking pics of the speshul operation to show on telly.

You're probably right but it's still slack drills. Mind you, what's one more piece of unprofessionalism amid a sea of general ineptitude?

RUSI's Mr Bronk offers his thoughts on Russia's narrative and direction in the next five years.
I'm seriously beginning to wonder if they were ever that good - apart from when they had endless human waves of infantry to sacrifice, as well as disproportionate amounts of artillery.

Last edited:
Which takes us full circle back to my comment about sorting wheat from chaff.
Which is why I'll often prefix a post with "caveat emptor" but it isn't just with social media we need to take care