Votes: 9 3.2%
  • By Christmas

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Some time in 2023

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Before Hell Freezes Over

Votes: 67 24.0%

• Total voters
The Auxiliaries were trained to carry out acts of sabotage, kill enemy forces (particularly officers) and create mayhem.

They were not trained to "report on troop movements (and) identify depots (so that)... independent companies could be air dropped tp assist in attacks for strategic attack" (sic).

Your grasp of UK history is as tenuous as your grip on reality.
He missed that module at школа

Two things:-
1. Your confusing the operational patrols with the SIS controlled elements and I don't doubt the OPs would have also dealt with local collaborators as well.
2. Guerilla war has at its core the execution of collaborator's and terror is at the heart of guerilla war.

Your grasp of the Military is as tenuous as your grip on the nature of conflict and how it changes when your losing.
F%ck me you write some utter tripe.

Biden... and, his handling of this situation.
The man and his admin are a dumpster fire, whom invite aggression. Europe doesn't take him seriously and his efforts have been a failure. So the approach to foreign relations will change with the next admin. No more asking nicely in the hearts and minds campaign. Trump had it right though, if you grab them by the balls they will follow. But NATO is in jeopardy if this is the current trajectory of the alliance.

Would not like to be a Ukrainian conscript or front line trooper right now. Hope they are getting all they need .
I bet it's a bit whiffy in that dugout with all those pickled gherkins.

On a separate note, I saw an article (Guardian?) on British ex-Forces personnel (well, they said they were) who have volunteered to fight for Ukraine. Can't help but think they are:
  1. Walts.
  2. Liabilities.
  3. Collateral losses.

Slime

LE
Would not like to be a Ukrainian conscript or front line trooper right now. Hope they are getting all they need .

I wouldn’t want to be on either side of the border right now, from whichever country, and am glad there are people there with cool heads at the moment.

If the likes of a poster in this thread were in charge we might have seen the Russians found in Ukraine (military types with no right to be there) killed as collaborators or traitors.

It wants to return to being a central player as opposed to a peripheral one (in both the political and geographic senses), although as Condo notes, on its own terms and with Western European standards as an a la carte menu.
Thank you.

I am convinced that - especially now, after the last few months - Russia is now rightly, destined to remain "peripheral . . . in both the political and geographic senses", with regard to all the countries that that are in the EU and/or NATO.

I fail to understand why Russia/Moscow/Putin, consider that there is any basis at all, on which they could expect, to interfere with the internal economies, politics, societies, and defence, of EU and/or NATO members.

I asked the question, as I was uncertain, if you were suggesting Russia sought to have some influence over those countries. That ship has sailed. That train has left the station. Any attempt to now interfere with EU/NATO member states, will result in Russia receiving a "bloody nose" . . . literally from NATO . . . diplomatic and economic sanctions etc, from the EU.

I am also pretty certain - especially now, after the last few months - that Sweden and Finland, will both be submitting their application forms to NATO, sooner rather than later.

Whatever role Russia sees for itself - and, how The WEST will react - with regard to the rest of Europe, will of course depends on how Russia behaves after this present hiatus..

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

For my own confirmation . . . other than Sweden and Finland now waiting at-the-door of NATO . . . the only "European" countries that might/could, be the subject of discussions, are . . .

(Outside the EU) Ukraine, Moldova, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania, Kosovo.
If some argue Turkey is European, that even Georgia and the other Caucasus might be included?

(Outside of NATO) Ukraine, Moldova, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania, Kosovo.
If some argue Turkey is European, that even Georgia and the other Caucasus might be included?

Last edited:
I fail to understand why Russia/Moscow/Putin, consider that there is any basis at all, on which they could expect, to interfere with the internal economies, politics, societies, and defence, of EU and/or NATO members.
Presumably, "Sauce for the goose..."

You are right, it doesn't matter what guarantees are in place, as long as Ukraine remains hostile to Russia, Moscow won't trust them. But invading the rest of Ukraine is an extreme solution.

I'm starting to think that what Putin really wants is for the leading Continental powers, France and Germany, to take over the role of mentors for Ukraine, rather than the US and UK. He knows that for at least a generation, the Kremlin will cut no ice in Kiev; the wounds now run too deep. But better it being guided by those with whom he is on speaking terms than those with whom he is not.

In the meantime, 100k poised troops and a hotline to the Pentagon will be a guard against the hawks...
I agree that invasion will be difficult and costly (unless it is made easier in Eastern Ukraine by there being somewhat divided loyalties among the population).
I'm less sure, fwiw, about the idea of Fr/German guardianship over Ukraine. Despite Fr/Germany being less confrontational to Russia, the Western model of civic life would still prevail in Ukraine. Security concerns aside, Putin is saying (I guess) 'I can't have a large, slavic nation with much in common with Russia, being a modern Western state, and my neighbour'. He'd want Fr/Germany to retard Ukrainian progress towards Westernisation, which likely can't be done because the people would drive that move, not the government.
Ukraine is a cultural / societal risk to Russia.
With that said, the risks for Russia are huge. Who's in control once the first shot is fired?
I wonder whether Putin is hoping that a Russian version of 'shock and awe' - a short, deep penetration into Ukraine - can bring Ukraine to the negotiating table very quickly, and allow Russia to impose terms?

Last edited:

Slime

LE
Imho there has just been an excellent interview on this thread topic on TalkRadio.

It was on the drive time show with Robert Rinder as presenter and started at around 4.25pm u.k. time.

The show should be available on Youtube later today.
I’d suggest it’s well worth a listen, and contained some very informed views.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Don’t get your panties in a twist.
The word you are groping for ( and I use the word advisedly) is << knickers >>

Meanwhile, back in Internetshire:

LINKY

Every day brings ominous new signs of an imminent Russian invasion of Ukraine. Moscow has amassed over 100,000 troops on the Ukrainian border, withdrawn the families of diplomats from the Russian embassy in Kyiv, and deployed troops to neighboring Belarus for unplanned joint military exercises with the Belarusian military, suggesting that it could attack Ukraine on multiple fronts.

Eight years after Russia annexed Crimea and supported a secessionist movement in eastern Ukraine, Russian President Vladimir Putin looks poised for yet another incursion into Russia’s western neighbor. In response to sustained Russian aggression, Kyiv has grown increasingly close to NATO, which has supplied the Ukrainian military with weapons, tactical support, and military advisers.

Putin now seeks to halt the alliance’s eastward expansion and to secure Russia’s near abroad, re-creating the sphere of influence once enjoyed by the Soviet Union. Washington’s efforts to broker a peaceful resolution to the standoff have so far failed—and Moscow has continued its apparent march toward war.

Any Russian attempt to take over Ukraine is unlikely to be confined to traditional military domains, however.

It will probably also play out in cyberspace, where Moscow has been waging a relentless campaign against Ukraine for nearly a decade already. Since 2014, hackers affiliated with the Russian government have interfered in Ukraine’s elections, targeted Ukrainian government agencies and private-sector companies with destructive malware, and carried out cyberattacks against electric utilities that caused widespread power outages.

In recent weeks, the Ukrainian government has been hit by a series of cyberattacks—possibly conducted with the support of the Kremlin—that defaced government websites and wiped out data on some government computers.

Hackers took over the websites of numerous departments and agencies, including that of the Foreign Ministry, leaving a threat to leak private data and an ominous warning to the Ukrainian public: “Be afraid and expect the worst.”

----------------- ends ........................

Step 1: Demoralise your enemy to the point where he lacks the will to fight.

Sensible piece from grizzled Middle Eastern Kremlin- observer Patrick Cockburn in the Indy yesterday:

I fail to understand why Russia/Moscow/Putin, consider that there is any basis at all, on which they could expect, to interfere with the internal economies, politics, societies, and defence, of EU and/or NATO members . .
Presumably, "Sauce for the goose..."
Your response to that specific paragraph, implies that Putin considers The WEST/EU/NATO, "expect, to interfere with the internal economies, politics, societies, and defence" of/within, Russia ?!

Other than Putin's own personal paranoia, what would the anyone else claim substantiates your claim?!

Last edited:
You are right, it doesn't matter what guarantees are in place, as long as Ukraine remains hostile to Russia, Moscow won't trust them. But invading the rest of Ukraine is an extreme solution . . .
"as long as Ukraine remains hostile to Russia" . . . did Ukraine threaten to invade Russia? I missed that !!

"as long as Ukraine remains hostile to Russia" . . . did Ukraine threaten to invade Russia? I missed that !!
Moscow will always consider an independent sovereign Ukraine as inherently hostile.

Latest Threads