Russian Troop Movements Reported Near Ukraine

Peskov says Russia can't de-escalate as Ukrainian forces are near the Russian border:
"Russia cannot take any measures to de-escalate. We have seen the messages that more than 120,000 (Ukrainian) troops have been deployed to the conflict zone.

"This raises our fears that sentiments (in Ukraine) in favour of a military solution to the Donbass problem could prevail,".

"This is very dangerous adventurism. All this causes us deep concern because this is happening in the immediate vicinity of our borders."

Yet only a few days ago he was saying (and echoed by his supporters), that whatever Russia does within its own borders shouldn't be of concern to anybody:
Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov dismissed Western media reports that Moscow has intentions to invade Ukraine as a “hollow and unfounded attempt to incite tensions.”

“Russia doesn't threaten anyone,” Peskov said during a conference call with reporters. “The movement of troops on our territory shouldn't be a cause for anyone's concern.”

'Do as I say not as I do' comes to mind.

Whoops, how did that happen?

But no, it's Moscow doing the usual.

A plot by Ukrainian agents to stage a terrorist attack and strike strategically important military sites has been prevented, Russia’s top security agency has announced after detaining three men allegedly preparing to carry it out.
In a statement issued on Thursday, the FSB announced that it had thwarted “intelligence and sabotage activities on the territory of three Russian regions.”
Two men – named as Zinoviy Koval and his 22-year-old-son, Igor - confessed that they had been recruited by a member of Ukraine’s SBU security service, who had given them the task of gathering information about sensitive sites in Russia in exchange for a $10,000 reward. The FSB says that it had also detained an officer from Ukrainian Military Intelligence “sent to our country with the intent of committing a terrorist act.”

Maybe it's just me, but I can't help thinking of this incident in 1939: Gleiwitz incident - Wikipedia

Nowt wrong with cabbage soup....................parp....................except when in polite company.
Nice bit of kapusnyak with some rye bread and butter, mmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

Completely off topic sort of but, near where I live (S Wales) there is a cemetery with a grave of a Ukrainian chap who died in 1948. He was iirc in his 40s when he passed. His grave is in the shape of, approximately, an Iron Cross though I think it may be a Ukrainian version of the normal Christian symbol. I have wondered who he was and how he came to be where he was, at a time when migration was much less of a thing than today. An exile after the War perhaps?

Completely off topic sort of but, near where I live (S Wales) there is a cemetery with a grave of a Ukrainian chap who died in 1948. He was iirc in his 40s when he passed. His grave is in the shape of, approximately, an Iron Cross though I think it may be a Ukrainian version of the normal Christian symbol. I have wondered who he was and how he came to be where he was, at a time when migration was much less of a thing than today. An exile after the War perhaps?

Is it similar to the cross on the MOD emblem? If so could be variation of a combatants cross:

NATO showing sIgnificant unity on its view of the situation:

Blinken said, Russia has not only massed combat forces, it's also "intensified disinformation to paint Ukraine as the aggressor" -- increasing anti-Ukrainian propaganda by more than tenfold to levels not seen since its 2014 invasion. Russia's "plans include efforts to destabilize Ukraine from within, as well as large-scale military operations," he added.

What has it got to do with NATO?

What has it got to do with NATO?
Ukraine is a partner to the NATO alliance which supports it in its independent statehood.

The statehood that is being threatened by a reactionary imperial power which cannot abide the example being demonstrated to its own peoples that there is an alternative to the "Muscovite Mindset".

But you know all that already. ;)

Oi !
Moscow !
Leave Ukraine alone.

(and Belarus)

:)

Fedaykin

War Hero
Going on the pictures I get from my family member who is in the Ukrainian Min-Def it is pretty much static trench warfare in the East...and if the Ukrainian Government has any sense considering what happened with Georgia that is how they will have to leave it! However galling (for Kiev) it is, what the rebels hold in the Donetsk is a sliver of land.

Russia wants the excuse to intervene as they did in Georgia and certainly the troop movements on the border and the pouring in of equipment and Little Green Men into that sliver of rebel territory is designed to bounce Kiev into ordering an offensive but so far the Ukrainian Gov has resisted the temptation despite the provocation and that is how we in the West need it to continue. Russia would prefer a full scale civil war in Ukraine not unlike Syria as it would give them the excuse to intervene which is why we need to insure that the Ukrainian Government is supported and kept stable. Maintenance of Ukraines defence industry and modernisation of their armed forces will also act as a solid deterrent, that help needs to be couched with a request not to react to the petty provocations on their Eastern border.

Interestingly enough the UK is playing a strong part in that modernisation process especially with their navy which will be a small but credible force when they have received their new vessels. I am fairly certain that a decision on new fighter jets (new or used) is coming pretty soon.

Russia’s economy is the same size as Spain. It could be shut down in a week if the will is there.
If the people wanting to held all the levers, perhaps.

There's always a 'however'.
Indeed.

"Yanukovych left the his post as President, however was not removed by legitimate means."

The democratic process wasn't thrown away.
Just put to one side until the right people needed it again.

Once the wrong result was corrected and the right one guaranteed.

Latest Threads