Russian Troop Movements Reported Near Ukraine

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Published by: Steven Swinford, Political Editor, The TIMES, on Tuesday 30 November 2021.

Liz Truss takes after Margaret Thatcher in a tank as she criticises Russia.

Liz Truss channelled Margaret Thatcher today amid further speculation about her leadership ambitions as she was pictured in a tank during a visit to Estoni
a.

The foreign secretary warned Russia against making a “strategic mistake” by invading Ukraine, accusing it of “malign activity”.

She was speaking as Nato foreign ministers gathered in Latvia to consider how to respond to Russia’s military build-up near the Ukrainian border and tensions on the frontier between Belarus and Poland . . .

[Damn PAYWALL].

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fa79294f4-5233-11ec-8d72-b8ab431649b1.jpg
Photo: Liz Truss warned Russia against making a “strategic mistake” by invading Ukraine, accusing it of “malign activity”.

Posted on this "russian-troop-movements-reported-near-ukraine" thread, and on the Poland/Belarus" thread.

TBH the other Liz looked a lot better

Liz Tank.jpg

We are in business! shall we start a crowd fund to support them as they could be high maintenance other than cabbage soup meals?
That's the wrong attitude. Get them to support you!
Pirizhki and Borsht - I'll come to dinner.

They can certainly cripple small, dispensible countries with no friends important enough to matter.

A large, resource-rich country with a proud population, more land than it can use and numerous allies who won't toe the western line and can't be forced to? Probably a horse of a different colour.

Russia’s economy is the same size as Spain. It could be shut down in a week if the will is there.

It made me laugh this morning reading that Russia is "alarmed" about a build up of Ukrainian forces near the border, do they not think that it's in response to them building up their own forces in a way that looks like an imminent invasion? Or do they expect Ukraine to pull all its forces back so Vlad can just roll in unopposed?

It made me laugh this morning reading that Russia is "alarmed" about a build up of Ukrainian forces near the border, do they not think that it's in response to them building up their own forces in a way that looks like an imminent invasion? Or do they expect Ukraine to pull all its forces back so Vlad can just roll in unopposed?

I was mulling on this yesterday as to whether as part of their strategy Russia was gaming it so that they could claim that any mobilisation/readiness moves on the Ukrainian side was a threat and then move in.

I was mulling on this yesterday as to whether as part of their strategy Russia was gaming it so that they could claim that any mobilisation/readiness moves on the Ukrainian side was a threat and then move in.

The way they always do this type of thing would be comical if it wasn't so serious, same with "looking at cathedrals" in Salisbury, it's the worst blag ever, do they think people can't see straight through it?

The way they always do this type of thing would be comical if it wasn't so serious, same with "looking at cathedrals" in Salisbury, it's the worst blag ever, do they think people can't see straight through it?
Lining up their excuses in advance. The usual Moscow rhetoric about Russia being a victim. Mainly for internal consumption and of course to be parroted by their usual "useful idiot" supporters internationally.

Peskov says Russia can't de-escalate as Ukrainian forces are near the Russian border:
"Russia cannot take any measures to de-escalate. We have seen the messages that more than 120,000 (Ukrainian) troops have been deployed to the conflict zone.

"This raises our fears that sentiments (in Ukraine) in favour of a military solution to the Donbass problem could prevail,".

"This is very dangerous adventurism. All this causes us deep concern because this is happening in the immediate vicinity of our borders."

Yet only a few days ago he was saying (and echoed by his supporters), that whatever Russia does within its own borders shouldn't be of concern to anybody:
Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov dismissed Western media reports that Moscow has intentions to invade Ukraine as a “hollow and unfounded attempt to incite tensions.”

“Russia doesn't threaten anyone,” Peskov said during a conference call with reporters. “The movement of troops on our territory shouldn't be a cause for anyone's concern.”

Here we go, Moscow's dirty propaganda trying to vilify and blame Ukraine is going into overdrive.
The usual suspects are involved in spreading it.

The indicators keep coming.

Peskov says Russia can't de-escalate as Ukrainian forces are near the Russian border:
"Russia cannot take any measures to de-escalate. We have seen the messages that more than 120,000 (Ukrainian) troops have been deployed to the conflict zone.

"This raises our fears that sentiments (in Ukraine) in favour of a military solution to the Donbass problem could prevail,".

"This is very dangerous adventurism. All this causes us deep concern because this is happening in the immediate vicinity of our borders."

Yet only a few days ago he was saying (and echoed by his supporters), that whatever Russia does within its own borders shouldn't be of concern to anybody:
Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov dismissed Western media reports that Moscow has intentions to invade Ukraine as a “hollow and unfounded attempt to incite tensions.”

“Russia doesn't threaten anyone,” Peskov said during a conference call with reporters. “The movement of troops on our territory shouldn't be a cause for anyone's concern.”

No matter that the suggestion is ludicrous. The whole rhetoric shows up the Kremlin's skewed world-view.

Moscow is painting the picture that a legitimate attempt by Ukrainian Forces to regain internationally recognised Ukrainian sovereign territory which was usurped by a small minority of opportunist thugs supported by the Kremlin and backed up by Russian military force would be an attack against Russia itself.

NATO showing sIgnificant unity on its view of the situation:

Blinken said, Russia has not only massed combat forces, it's also "intensified disinformation to paint Ukraine as the aggressor" -- increasing anti-Ukrainian propaganda by more than tenfold to levels not seen since its 2014 invasion. Russia's "plans include efforts to destabilize Ukraine from within, as well as large-scale military operations," he added.

The populace presumably being different from the electorate who voted the government into power;

Possibly, though you're of course guessing.

Whilst I'm guessing that many who voted for Yanukovych possibly also formed part of the crowd that lost faith in him and also protested, or at least supported the protestors. Yanukovych's win in 2010 was a close run thing only just pipping Tymoshenko to the post. (who for some strange reason had criminal charges started against her and was imprisoned after Yanukovych got into power, imagine that). To win, IIRC, Yanukovych buffed up his image to appeal not just to his east Ukrainian power base by, gosh, speaking Ukrainian from time to time in public, and trying to tone down his boorish image and keeping having an association agreement with the EU as part of his campaign.

I've just checked some sources for the 2nd round results and Yanukovych got about 48% of the vote and Tymoshenko 45%.

and the democratic laws presumably being distinct from the ones which say an elected government can legitimately rule until the next election?

No, all part of the same body of laws which I'm sure you know.

Yeah, I can see how democracy can entirely thrive once we throw the democratic process away...

The democratic process wasn't thrown away. There was an interim government after he left followed by an election which of course Poroshenko won, and there's been another one since won by yet another. Which is of course more than can be said for Russia and Belarus.

Democracy was indeed thriving.

Latest Threads