Russian Troop Movements Reported Near Ukraine

The problem is that the Russians have already got a plan for those rural areas.
As part of Russia.
The people walking around on top of it will either have to get used to that, or be buried under it.
They'll apply that plan to the rest of Ukraine (and Belarus and many other places) if they reckon they can get away with it.

Russia has a diminishing population, vast amounts of land and natural resources, so why, as some claim, does it need more territory, other than as a buffer against a hostile west?
And if they take-it-over, if Russia absorbs it . . . it is no longer a "buffer", but is part of your own country, directly and uncomfortably "butting-up" against, the horrible "West".

Which is why - I contine to suggest - Russia is content to "simply" compromise the integrity of Ukraine (and Georgia), so that neither can officially join NATO, or the EU . . . and in a state of limbo - with Belarus - will continue to provide that "buffer".

Russia has a diminishing population, vast amounts of land and natural resources, so why, as some claim, does it need more territory, other than as a buffer against a hostile west.
For the regime and its "Muscovite Mindset" to survive. Russia is not threatened, but its way of leadership is. Those that lead it are unable to see an alternate path to maintain themselves and Russia in the way they see it and understand it. Until that mentality is changed, Muscovite aggression against its neighbours will not cease.

Last edited:
For the regime and its "Muscovite Mindset" to survive. Russia is not threatened, but its way of leadership is. Those that lead it are unabel to see an alternate path to maintain themselves and Russia in the way they see it and understand it. Until that mentality is changed, Muscovite aggression against its neighbours will not cease.
That's because it's ran by a regime of gangsters, Putin being the kingpin.

That's because it's ran by a regime of gangsters, Putin being the kingpin.
He is a product of the system that has ruled Muscovy and then Muscovite Russia since the Mongols. There is a direct line of thought and practice going back through Stalin and the Red Tsars, Catherine the Great, Peter the Great, to before Ivan the Terrible.

He is a product of the system that has ruled Muscovy and then Muscovite Russia since the Mongols. There is a direct line of thought and practice going back through Stalin and the Red Tsars, Catherine the Great, Peter the Great, to before Ivan the Terrible.
Moving through warlordism, to feudalism, to autocracy, to dictatorship, to fascism, with a side order of organised crime.

Would the Poland-Belarus migrant influx issue be a distraction tactic for the possible forthcoming Ukraine - Russian invasion?

Ukraine military openly declaring imminent invasion.
Who knows? This is a hybrid war masterclass. Expect the unexpected.

People in the West misunderstand the Russians completely. They look at them and see distant Europeans with a different alphabet and some cultural peculiarities.

The Russians aren't European and never have been. I'm not an expert on Russians, although I deal with them regularly - and rather like them. For my money, their (unique) mindset is closer to Asian than European.

Putin hasn't quite made his mind up about Biden yet. He won't commit himself until he's sure, or until Biden is incapacitated. He may be hoping for Harris to step up, or for a transitional vacuum, before he moves on the Ukraine.

If you're in Russia's geographical orbit, you're either a vassal, or a chink in Russia's armour. A free Ukraine is a provocation and proof of Russian vulnerability. It has to be reabsorbed into a Greater Russia. It's not a question of 'if' but of when and how. 2022, 2032, 2042... Mother Russia endures, and takes an Asian view of time.

Including on this site...useful idiots citing RT as a credible news source on anything.
Fixed FOC.

RT is just a Kremlin propaganda and disinformation tool.

People in the West misunderstand the Russians completely. They look at them and see distant Europeans with a different alphabet and some cultural peculiarities.

The Russians aren't European and never have been. I'm not an expert on Russians, although I deal with them regularly - and rather like them. For my money, their (unique) mindset is closer to Asian than European.

Putin hasn't quite made his mind up about Biden yet. He won't commit himself until he's sure, or until Biden is incapacitated. He may be hoping for Harris to step up, or for a transitional vacuum, before he moves on the Ukraine.

If you're in Russia's geographical orbit, you're either a vassal, or a chink in Russia's armour. A free Ukraine is a provocation and proof of Russian vulnerability. It has to be reabsorbed into a Greater Russia. It's not a question of 'if' but of when and how. 2022, 2032, 2042... Mother Russia endures, and takes an Asian view of time.
I would agree to a certain extent. Where I disagree is that I would include the vast majority of people who consider themselves ethnic Russians as European. However they have been conditioned by centuries of Muscovite overlordship and both the leaders and many of the the led definitely have various degrees of a specific authoritarian "Muscovite Mindset" which originated under the Mongol yoke and was further developed over the centuries. Its most recent apogee was under the rule of the Red Tsar, Josef Stalin.

This mindset is slowly being eroded by modern communications. One of the reasons for this is that culturally, the vast majority of ethnic Russians are most definitely European and becoming more so. This is evident in the thrust of the great scientific and artistic works produced by Russian people despite the burdens of the political system that they laboured under. The other great cultural influence that identifies Russians as Europeans is Christianity. Before Europe was recognised as a geopolitical entity, it was known as Christendom. Sadly since its inception as an imperial power, Muscovy has sought to control the Russian Church and has largely succeeded. But it cannot control the consciences of individuals.

Last edited:
I would agree to a certain extent. Where I disagree is that I would include the vast majority of people who consider themselves ethnic Russians as European. However they have been conditioned by centuries of Muscovite overlordship and both the leaders and many of the the led definitely have various degrees of a specific authoritarian "Muscovite Mindset" which originated under the Mongol yoke and was further developed over the centuries. Its most recent apogee was under the rule of the Red Tsar, Josef Stalin.

This mindset is slowly being eroded by modern communications. One of the reasons for this is that culturally, the vast majority of ethnic Russians are most definitely European and becoming more so. This is evident in the thrust of the great scientific and artistic works produced by Russian people despite the burdens of the political system that they laboured under. The other great cultural influence that identifies Russians as Europeans is Christianity. Before Europe was recognised as a geopolitical entity, it was known as Christendom. Sadly since its inception as an imperial power, Muscovy has sought to control the Russian Church and has largely succeeded. But it cannot control the consciences of individuals.

I don't pretend to really understand Russia - a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Certainly their educated, aristocratic elite spoke French and cultivated Germany. They also produced art, literature and architecture that stands shoulder to shoulder with Europe's best. Russia's a big place though, and the western fringe is only the gateway. Much of it was a frontier society until quite recently.

I'm going purely on personal experience here, but Russians are different on several levels; some obvious, some subtle. Scratch the surface and there is more than a trace of an Asian mindset (or a steppe mindset). Add to that centuries of serfdom, subservience to authorities, fear of secret police, the duality of an external persona that conforms to state ideology and the more guarded private persona. Then temper the mix under repeated hammer blows of foreign invasion...

Most of my Russian friends grew up under communism. I'm sure the cosmopolitan and globally connected Generation Z kids in Moscow and St Petersburg are very different - and far more European.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Deborah Haynes at Sky - UK signs deal to help boost Ukraine's navy in the face of increased threat from Russia

Britain and Ukraine have finalised a treaty that will enable Kiev to seek loans from London to buy British warships and missiles at a time of heightened tensions with Russia.

On Ukraine's £1.7billion shopping list are two minehunters, the joint production of eight missile ships and a frigate as well as the purchase of weapons for existing vessels.

Link to deal here

Latest Threads