Russian Troop Movements Reported Near Ukraine

I seem to recall it was around then, they wore green back then too but under their grayish greatcoats … ; )

As they have since the days of Peter the Great, at the time when green clothing dyes were stabilised enough to not turn them back to natural state after the first rain shower.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
In 2014 we had a weakling as POTUS.
Whilst i don't like Sleepy Joe I think he would react correctly as he has already pointed up Putin as a major problem.
And your base this on what exactly, this is the man who pulled out of Afghan all military, before he had secured all his civilian assets, and left Billions in military hardware for the Taliban, sorry, but you are talking arse mate, complete and utter arse.

And your base this on what exactly, this is the man who pulled out of Afghan all military, before he had secured all his civilian assets, and left Billions in military hardware for the Taliban, sorry, but you are talking arse mate, complete and utter arse.
Add to that, Europe is now playing second fiddle to the Far East, as far as the US is concerned. It is very much not in the US interest for events in Europe to unexpectedly distract US resources from reorientating towards China. The US is trying to deter Russia, not end up war fighting.

Add to that, Europe is now playing second fiddle to the Far East, as far as the US is concerned. It is very much not in the US interest for events in Europe to unexpectedly distract US resources from reorientating towards China. The US is trying to deter Russia, not end up war fighting.

It all depends on where you sit. As I was told many years ago in a discussion about world political focus between the UK and Australia, 'Your Far East is our near north'.

I went looking for confirmation of this article, because on one of this evening’s (Friday 19 November 2021) late night news programmes, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, was filmed as he went “off script”. It might have been during a “Question & Answers” session, after the speech.

Apparently speaking hypothetically, he speculated that if (for whatever reason) Berlin decided it did not want host nuclear weapons . . . NATO would simply move the nuclear weapons eastward, to Poland !!

Expect the MSM to report the repercussions over the weekend !!

Last edited:
Sadly, I think the idea of self determination is a tool to try and prevent people killing each other. The philosopher Karl Popper denied its existence on the basis that all populations are intermixed and have territorial claims on each others property if you go back far enough.

I have not got his brains and for what it is worth, don't agree with him but he is well worth a read for those interested. You have summed up his argument by that sentence alone.

I think the Russians are being very naughty at the moment. I think I understand the reasons why. In any event, I am obliged to give my loyalty to the UK. Right or wrong.

Yes, there are many competing and overlapping claims for bits of land based on history and circumstances amongst others.

The idea of agreed borders and treaties was meant to address this, but when you get leaders who are looking for tools and tricks to stay in power, promising to bring ‘ancient lands’ back in to the fold is a good diversion.

As for village statelets, I recall reading about the Russian and Austro Hungarian Empires collapsed, individual and groups of neighbouring villages in west Ukraine had split loyalties as to which country to join. There was for a short time The West Ukrainian Republic which some villages supported, others thought that they should be part of Russia, whilst some just wanted to be left alone.

In parts of Ukraine you still get one village of Russian speakers descended from incomers whilst the neighbouring villages are Ukrainian whilst others Bulgarian.

Just ripe for declaring independence from the surrounding state.

Yes, there are many competing and overlapping claims for bits of land based on history and circumstances amongst others.

The idea of agreed borders and treaties was meant to address this, but when you get leaders who are looking for tools and tricks to stay in power, promising to bring ‘ancient lands’ back in to the fold is a good diversion.

As for village statelets, I recall reading about the Russian and Austro Hungarian Empires collapsed, individual and groups of neighbouring villages in west Ukraine had split loyalties as to which country to join. There was for a short time The West Ukrainian Republic which some villages supported, others thought that they should be part of Russia, whilst some just wanted to be left alone.

In parts of Ukraine you still get one village of Russian speakers descended from incomers whilst the neighbouring villages are Ukrainian whilst others Bulgarian.

Just ripe for declaring independence from the surrounding state.
The Poles were once relatively quite numerous in western Ukraine. The sad events of WW2 and its immediate aftermath cleared out most of that community. Many of the surviving Polish inhabitants of the former Lwów (now L'viv) were resettled by the Soviets in Wrocław (formerly German Breslau).

What has your post got to do with seeing Putin as a major danger?
Obama was given the Nobel Peace prize almost before he took office having done nothing.
I assumed this meant they thought he was going to pull out. The US wasted another 12 years there.
We achieved nothing but a waste of blood and gold in Afghanistan.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
What has your post got to do with seeing Putin as a major danger?
Obama was given the Nobel Peace prize almost before he took office having done nothing.
I assumed this meant they thought he was going to pull out. The US wasted another 12 years there.
We achieved nothing but a waste of blood and gold in Afghanistan.
Really, we all know Afghan was a waste, spent to much of my time there as well, how ever, the nature of the rout under Biden was despicable and cowardly, it betrayed every thing that may of been salvaged and every person who served and fought out there completely & totally betrayed every life lost out there. Putin is slowly but surely reaping the rewards of a much weakened west, that is undeniable and if you can not see that, that is your problem. He has been slowly but surely rebuilding the Russian armed forces and has already shown he is not scared to flex his muscles. NATO on the other hand only offers up weak sabre rattling and a token show in places like the Baltic states.

I hope you are right, and we have nothing to fear from uncle Vlad, I really do, but just look at how he has acted over the past decade+ me thinks this shit ain’t over & Biden legacy will be a fcuked up Afghan withdrawal if you can grace it with that title, a Taliban armed by Biden & an even more empowered & Brazen Putin. You may or may not agree with what I have put, but all that has come to pass, what’s in the future? You want to hope me and those like me are wrong and Vlad is just misunderstood.

Bellingcat’s piece on Ukrainian intelligence’s sting operation to capture mercenaries and former fighters for the Russian backed insurgents by setting up a fake operation and asking for CVS and details of experience. Seems it turned up info on Russian backing and military involvement in aiding the Donbassians. Ooerrr. What a surprise.

In preceding posts in this and other threads, we tend to lump all of one side or another as having the same views in one homogenous mass. It’s not quite the case. The rural area of Donbas is still mostly ethnically Ukrainian. The ethnic Russians are mostly within the industrialised cities and of those some maybe most would have pro Russian views.

A study has found the on balance a majority favour staying with Ukraine.

In preceding posts in this and other threads, we tend to lump all of one side or another as having the same views in one homogenous mass. It’s not quite the case. The rural area of Donbas is still mostly ethnically Ukrainian. The ethnic Russians are mostly within the industrialised cities and of those some maybe most would have pro Russian views.

A study has found the on balance a majority favour staying with Ukraine.

The problem is that the Russians have already got a plan for those rural areas.
As part of Russia.
The people walking around on top of it will either have to get used to that, or be buried under it.

Latest Threads