• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Russian tank recovered from Gulf of Finland

Quite a find from the group below. According to one the guys involved, the crew were still in the vehicle. Check out the rest of 'Battlefield Relics' forum that this post is in, as there's enough there to give any EOD team the shivers.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=294103.0

Command tank T-26 since the end of Russian-Finnish War, was found at the bottom of the Gulf of Finland. Historical building located at a depth of 15 meters at a distance of over a kilometer from shore. At the bottom of the bay is a group of tanks - this modification, consisting of 5.6 units. As suggested, the tank with a crew consisting of 3 persons, sank in the Gulf of Finland in March 1940. In recent days, Russian-Finnish war.

Reminds me of when "Kipper" B sqn MT troop,left his 4 ton Bedford RL with a smashed suspension, in Kufra in 69. The "Pink Pillock" went potty, just needs somone to go there now and recover it, if theres anything left

Sunderland flying boat T9044 has been left untouched at the bottom of Milford Haven since 1943 and now the Sunderland trust has been formed to recover it, so you dont have to go far to find WW2 stuff left about

tropper66 said:
Sunderland flying boat T9044 has been left untouched at the bottom of Milford Haven since 1943 and now the Sunderland trust has been formed to recover it, so you dont have to go far to find WW2 stuff left about

Attachments

Talking Sunderlands, this is a screenshot, from the sidescan sonar on my boat, of the wreck of a motor cruiser 'Merlin' which mounted a Bren as part of the AA defence for the Sunderland factory in White Cross Bay on Windermere. It lies in just under 100' of water. (I've removed the Lat/Long coordinates so as not to publicise the location)

Several WW2 era tanks have been recovered complete over the last few years in that part of the world. As far as I am aware:

- T-26 and KV1 dredged from the River Neva about two years ago
- T-34 in German markings recovered in perfect condition from a bog in Estonia in 2008
- An equally intact Sturmgeschutz III recovered 2005 in the Ukraine, but now beginning to deteriorate
- A Sturmgeschutz IV recovered in Poland 2008/9 in such good condition it is now a runner - a unique vehicle
- Several German assault guns from a sunken ship, the Santa Fe, in the Black Sea

Stories persist of others, so more remain to be recovered. Many tanks were simply tipped into bogs and rivers to avoid their falling into enemy hands.

Attachments

Mediaeval said:
Several WW2 era tanks have been recovered complete over the last few years in that part of the world. As far as I am aware:

- T-34 in German markings recovered in perfect condition from a bog in Estonia in 2008
- An equally intact Sturmgeschutz III recovered 2005 in the Ukraine, but now beginning to deteriorate
- A Sturmgeschutz IV recovered in Poland 2008/9 in such good condition it is now a runner - a unique vehicle
- Several German assault guns from a sunken ship, the Santa Fe, in the Black Sea
Some Photos from The recovery of The T34, and a clip from You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtJkyd3JJWE&feature=player_embedded

Edited to add the link about the T34

http://englishrussia.com/?p=299

Just toadd - there were two Germans and a Romanian arrested last year by Romanian police for stealing two Pzkpfw IV H! The Panzers in question had been dug in as border defences... :)

Goldbricker said:
The Article suggest the Crews remains were still inside>

How is this not Grave robbing?
In and around Germany quite a few bodies are recovered during searches for militaria around old battlefields. Where possible the remains are identified and any living relatives notified, the remains are then formally buried. All perfectly legal.

Drlligaf said:
Goldbricker said:

In and around Germany quite a few bodies are recovered during searches for militaria around old battlefields. Where possible the remains are identified and any living relatives notified, the remains are then formally buried. All perfectly legal.
I gather that's what's being done now with a couple of hundred diggers recently found in a WW1 mass grave. I think some remains are still being ID'd through DNA in a few cases, but I could be wrong.

hairyarse2 said:
Mediaeval said:

Some Photos from The recovery of The T34, and a clip from You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtJkyd3JJWE&feature=player_embedded

Edited to add the link about the T34

http://englishrussia.com/?p=299
That's awesome. I bet they couldn't believe their luck when they saw its German markings and condition.

Goldbricker said:

In 1970 I was involved in recovering the Barracuda torpedo bomber that is now in FAA museum, it was in a bog at Maydown near Londonderry, and so were the three crew, but the families had been given coffins in 1943

Signalman said:
That Sunderland lies about 100 yards from where I'm sitting! :D

One of my former instructors is the head honcho of the Sunderland Trust.
If you live in West Wales you should read "Rocks in the Clouds" by Edward Doylerush gives crash locations in your area

'In 1970 I was involved in recovering the Barracuda torpedo bomber that is now in FAA museum, it was in a bog at Maydown near Londonderry, and so were the three crew, but the families had been given coffins in 1943'

See below from http://www.redkitebooks.co.uk/AA/missingpilots.html:

'Sergeant Dennis Noble
Hurricane P3179, 43 Squadron

This Hurricane was shot down during the Battle of Britain on 30 August 1940 and crashed in a street in Hove, Sussex. As essential services were severed at the time great importance was placed on repairing the road so a very perfunctory recovery of the body was made and sadly little of *Dennis Noble's body was buried in the coffin. In a radio interview a relative said that the coffin was rumoured to be full of bricks to make up the weight. Local legend also had it that the majority of the body remained under the pavement. Perhaps this was one reason that the wreck had not been recovered earlier as it would cause much embarrassment and distress if further remains of an already buried airman were to be recovered. Eventually, however, one of the new enthusiasts gained permission from the local for the excavation and, amongst much publicity, attempted the excavation. A short while into the dig the pilot’s parachute was unearthed followed by what the coroner described as ‘a substantial portion’ of the body. An inquest concluded that the further remains were of those of Sergeant D. Noble His relatives are now demanding that his original grave be exhumed and its contents be examined.'

As a footnote to this story, when the slum in Hove otherwise known as Portland Gate (formerly owned by a certain N. Hoogstratten) was pulled down, one of the apartment blocks that replaced it was named Noble Court in honour of the pilot.

Latest Threads