• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Russian Surveillance Aircraft lost at sea off Syria

The major issue I would see is if the Russians were as a result of this to decide to take more active control of the defence of their personnel and put up air patrols to create a broad exclusion zone to prevent a recurrence.

I suspect however the Russians will not push the issue too hard with the Israelis. Russia and Israel seem to be getting along fairly well in general, Syria aside, and the Russians don't have a lot of friends these days. I also would not be surprised if there were a greater two way flow of intelligence information between the two than is generally reported and it would be very much to Russia's advantage for it to continue.

I suspect what the Russians will do is to arrange for better coordination with Israel to try to ensure this doesn't happen again.

With regards to the Syrians, I do recall the Americans sounding very disappointed when the Syrians wouldn't oblige them by turning on their radars during the past missile strike extravaganza.

This....

The Russians will employ this as an excuse to put an air exclusion zone around Idlib.
The Russians play chess, and Trumps been mated.

This....

The Russians will employ this as an excuse to put an air exclusion zone around Idlib.
The Russians play chess, and Trumps been mated.
It looks as if Russia, Syria, and Turkey are close to agreeing to allow a status quo to pertain in Idlib, perhaps in the hope that kicking the can down the road might permit some sort of compromise solution.
It seems clear that no one really wants to fight for Idlib - it is a potential source of chaos for all involved. A Russian exclusion zone would be a pointless, highly risky, escalation. The shooting down of the Russian aircraft was a cock up and the angry words that initially came from Russia were a 'to be expected' response for domestic consumption.

Two people I'd be very interested to hear from are @Magic_Mushroom and @Archimedes
MM's pretty much covered it - as you'd expect (he's a tad more expert in this sort of thing than I am, anyway...), but I would note that Putin has now spoken to Netanyahu and it's now a tragic set of circumstances...

As MM observed, the chances of the IDF willingly using an Il-20 for cover are rather slight - the IDF has now said that the Russian story has a small flaw in that their aircraft weren't actually where the Russians [I suspect informed by the panicking Syrians...] claimed and the supposed 1 minute notice wasn't therefore true.

It looks as if Russia, Syria, and Turkey are close to agreeing to allow a status quo to pertain in Idlib, perhaps in the hope that kicking the can down the road might permit some sort of compromise solution.
It seems clear that no one really wants to fight for Idlib - it is a potential source of chaos for all involved. A Russian exclusion zone would be a pointless, highly risky, escalation. The shooting down of the Russian aircraft was a cock up and the angry words that initially came from Russia were a 'to be expected' response for domestic consumption.
No one wants to fight street to street, but the Russians have bombed the islamists to de facto defeat. They won’t want Trumpd no bombing zone, they will want the fighters exported to a ,3rd country.

Read what I actually wrote, and the post to which I replied rather than what you (now desperately) hope I'd written.
I have as quoted below. Now please dry your eyes and we can listen to the intelligent grown ups.

The Syrians shot at IDF a/c, which was trying to use a Ru a/c to mask its movement.

If they hadn't, the Syrians wouldn't have fired at it.

Its hardly rocket science, and the blame lies with the IDF.

No one wants to fight street to street, but the Russians have bombed the islamists to de facto defeat. They won’t want Trumpd no bombing zone, they will want the fighters exported to a ,3rd country.
I thought that until very recently but it seems all key players are on board with the idea of a monitored barrier zone around Idlib, free of heavy weapons, separating the Syrian army and the jhadists. On reflection, the idea solves many short term issues for Syria, Russia, Turkey and the rebels (possible Western reaction to an attack on Idlib, a new refugee crisis, negative PR for both Russia and Turkey, the issue of whether Assad can afford to commit forces which are spread very thinly, to a costly battle; from the rebel perspective it postpones their final defeat, etc).

As I have certain trolls on ignore I can relax in the knowledge I won't need to read such epic whoppers as:

Russian subs sinking any RN ships and the S400 system destroying any RAF aircraft on Gibraltar.

Or

Russia supplying fighters fighters and naval support to Argentina so the Argentinians would re take the Falklands.

Both of those come from the thread covering Turkey shooting down a Russian fighter over Turkey.

I have as quoted below. Now please dry your eyes and we can listen to the intelligent grown ups.
Oh, dear.
You gleefully jumped in with both feet to criticise my comment about the IDF using a Ru a/c to mask its movements, but landed head first when you didn't spot I was commenting on somebody else's claim.

Time to stop digging.

I thought that until very recently but it seems all key players are on board with the idea of a monitored barrier zone around Idlib, free of heavy weapons, separating the Syrian army and the jhadists. On reflection, the idea solves many short term issues for Syria, Russia, Turkey and the rebels (possible Western reaction to an attack on Idlib, a new refugee crisis, negative PR for both Russia and Turkey, the issue of whether Assad can afford to commit forces which are spread very thinly, to a costly battle; from the rebel perspective it postpones their final defeat, etc).

Agree, this will buy the Regimes sponsor time to broker an acceptable end game for them and Assad.
Israel seems keen to keep Assad, Arab ‘democracy’ hasn’t been their stuff of dreams. And it suits Israel to stay onside with Russia.

As highly sought as my opinion is, I know no more than most of the other "contributors" to this thread.
Wow!!!! Really???

Tongue hurting? Cheek with stretch marks?

The whiff of purple smoke is strong...
The whiff of hypocrisy even stronger. Quick to attack Greenjacket for his views on the more hirsute, bangy stabby types, your own preferences seem more in line with views held by Corbyn and the crowd he admires... your views on Israel as predictable.

Last edited:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
If some members of this site don't take their trolling and circular tit-for-tattery elsewhere, points are very likely to be forthcoming.

Worth bearing in mind.

Wow!!!! Really???

Tongue hurting? Cheek with stretch marks?

The whiff of hypocrisy even stronger. Quick to attack Greenjacket for his views on the more hirsute, bangy stabby types, your own preferences seem more in line with views held by Corbyn and the crowd he admires... your views on Israel as predictable.
If only you'd understood the original statement was made by RoyalGreenJacket, you wouldn't be making yourself look quite so triggered .
The comment about the IDF was made by him, not me.
And your white knighting of a racist is slightly interesting.

Aaaah didums.

So your interest awarded has now given way to a whinge??

Russian aircraft shot down with Russian missile by Russian allies. Admitted by Russia. Unfortunate for the aircraft crew, commiserations to the families. Possibly some tightlipped interviews with Syrian AD crews no biccies, and Russia will blame everyone else in the area. Case closed.
post 158 refers.

MM's pretty much covered it - as you'd expect (he's a tad more expert in this sort of thing than I am, anyway...), but I would note that Putin has now spoken to Netanyahu and it's now a tragic set of circumstances...

As MM observed, the chances of the IDF willingly using an Il-20 for cover are rather slight - the IDF has now said that the Russian story has a small flaw in that their aircraft weren't actually where the Russians [I suspect informed by the panicking Syrians...] claimed and the supposed 1 minute notice wasn't therefore true.
You mean the Russians were telling porkies? How very unusual.