Russian Surveillance Aircraft lost at sea off Syria

One guess is that if they did fire on IDF it might turn out badly for those firing, as it has done before.

Another observation, the threats of retaliation that were made by Putin prior to the declared strike by NATO allies on Syrian chemical facilities never in fact transpired. The strikes took place as promised and the facilities were reduced to rubble. So much for those warnings, and statements that all incoming missiles would be shot down.
What responsible and decisive Russia leader could do? (I don't mean Putin of course).
To use a very simple principle - you bomb my ally - I bomb your allies - Israel, KSA, Gulfies.
But Putin sent our boys to die in Syria for ... for what exactly? For nothing.
As for Israelis then they need a good lesson. But Putin being their puppet and utter C and T hides his tail between legs.

Upgrading the Syrian ADS? Would Russia really want one of their latest systems in use by the Syrians? It is unlikely that the Israeli’s will cease to strike at any provocation, and given the Syrians latest demonstration of expertise the results may well affect Russian arm’s sales.

Given the Syrians inability to pay Russia would also have to fund those systems and since money is tight in the Russian defence budget it seems unlikely that this will happen.

Remedial training with the Syrians, or a change of ROE to stop them shooting down Russian aircraft is undoubtedly on the to do list. It is likely, if not already the case, that any Syrian activity with Iran and Hezbollah is now kept as far away as possible from Russian forces as the Israeli’s have a reputation for aggressively going after any perceived threats.
Hint. Key positions in Syrian (imaginary) S-300 AD systems would be occupied by ... by whom do you think? Right, hardly by Syrians.

Hint. Key positions in Syrian (imaginary) S-300 AD systems would be occupied by ... by whom do you think? Right, hardly by Syrians.
Hopefully not members of the 53rd AA Bde. Their target identification is pretty poor

RoyalGreenJacket stated what the Russians had claimed.
You then jumped in feet first taking your usual opportunity to have a pop at the IDF by stating it as gospel.
"It's hardly rocket science and the blame lies with the IDF".
I took him at face value, and commented accordingly. The claim had also been repeated on Radio 4.

You might want to have a look at @Sixty's post 158.

Given the Syrians inability to pay Russia would also have to fund those systems and since money is tight in the Russian defence budget it seems unlikely that this will happen.
If Russian can keep Assad in power, they'll have access to a nice port in a strategically important area. Plus the operators will be getting some very good experience and the West will know it.

Smart move, really.

Crack on, the IDF don't seem terribly upset at the thought. Its not as if the system is a mystery to them.
Its not as if the Greeks don't obligingly provide training against the system for the Israelis.

What responsible and decisive Russia leader could do? (I don't mean Putin of course).
To use a very simple principle - you bomb my ally - I bomb your allies - Israel, KSA, Gulfies.
But Putin sent our boys to die in Syria for ... for what exactly? For nothing.
As for Israelis then they need a good lesson. But Putin being their puppet and utter C and T hides his tail between legs.
One would almost think you* weren't a regime mouthpiece.

Almost.

*Your shift at the disinformation centre.

How many of these planes do the Russians have and does this loss represent a serious reduction in capability?

Also, will the Syrians amend their AD course from being a 1 day familiarisation, including course photo, long lunch and early finish?

Last edited:
How many of these planes do the Russians have and does this loss represent a serious reduction in capability?
All depends on which variant of the Il-20 it turns out to be. The airframes are old, but they are some fairly gucci new ELINT fits that have recently come into service. Given Russia's current propensity for deploying new kit into Syria to get some operational experience with it, I wouldn't be surprised if this loss doesn't hurt them significantly.

Also, will the Syrians amend their AD course from being a 1 day familiarisation, including course photo, long lunch and earl finish?
For a small fee I can run a postal correspondence course........
Picture2.jpg

"caeci sunt duces caecorum" or "non tamen ventilabis magnus rufus button?"

Last edited:
1536080976178.jpg

If the Syrian Engagement Controller couldn't tell the difference between low-level fast movers working a target zone and a slow moving high-level sigint aircraft that according to the rules should have been using IFF (actually SSR) they really shouldn't be in the job - but as the IDF had already fucked-off before the Coot pitched-up I suppose the point is moot. Don't the height-finding bits of Soviet radars work FFS? We cracked that tec in 1940

Thinking about it the Russians should also have informed the Syrian AD people of the aircraft's flightplan - so either the Russians fucked-up the co-ord or the Syrian AD Notification Center fucked-up passing on the message, or the Engagement Controller fucked-up the routing and recognition thing. Whatever, unprofessional clowns.
Maybe he has ADHD - Air Defense Hyperactivity Disorder.

Also, will the Syrians amend their AD course from being a 1 day familiarisation, including course photo, long lunch and early finish?
The plane itself doesn't matter. But 15 servicemen died - it is a tragedy.
They have wives, children, parents...
Putin personally is guilty. He in fact allowed Israeli air-raids and such a catastrophe is something that could happen later or sooner.

Last edited: