Russian Sporting Corruption

I’m surprised this hasn’t been raised, but I’ll start the ball rolling.

As most of you will know the World Anti-Doping Authority (WADA) published a report that proved the Russian government had pursued a policy of suppressing the results when Russian athletes at the 214 Winter Olympics failed drugs tests. They also did this for many other sports.

This was a state-sponsored programme, with the Russian Minister of Sport and the Russian Secret Service all involved. One assumes this, ultimately, went all the way to Putin.

What is the most disturbing part of this however is that in 2014, whilst this state-sponsored drugs cheating was in full swing, the Russian government bid for, and won, the 2018 World Cup Finals!

The implication of course is that they would use the state approved apparatus of cheating to ensure Russia won the 2018 World Cup.

Now the IoC must ban Russia from all Olympics for at least the next round of games. In my opinion they should be banned indefinitely until they prove they are clean and their drugs testing is transparent. However that doesn’t go far enough for me. As they put this programme into operation at the same time as bribing their way to winning the world cup bid, they should be stripped of the 2018 World Cup Finals and banned from playing in all FIFA/UEFA competitions, again until they prove to the satisfaction of the international community that they are clean.

The UEFA aspect will also prevent Russian clubs playing in the Champions League and Europa League competitions.

Individuals and even the odd team who cheat is one thing. To use the apparatus of state, the Minister of Sport and the Secret Service to cheat is quite different and Russia needs punishing to the point where no countries will risk doing this sort of thing again.

Well, given that both IoC and FIFA/UEFA have probably not only known or suspected Russian misdeeds in sport for about 50+ years, and are themselves widely assumed to be riddled with corruption, I think it would be a bit naive to expect any major corrective actions to be taken....

The Olympics is not just sport. It is 'Russia is Strong!"-A symbol of the mightiness of Russia under Vlad the Small.

State sponsored cheating, lying and corruption to present that false impression of strength is also just so very...Russian.

Russian doping: Moscow press furious at allegations - BBC News

Writing in liberal business daily RBC, Andrei Kolesnikov of the Moscow Carnegie Centre believes that Russia was being deliberately targeted.

"It is important for us to take part in the Olympics, it is a quasi-war, a demonstration of soft and hard power."

I note that @KGB_resident is very quiet about this subject.

His handlers are probably waiting for the Kremlin to tell them how to spin it.

I note that @KGB_resident is very quiet about this subject.

His handlers are probably waiting for the Kremlin to tell them how to spin it.
Many times I wrote and repeat it now. Russia is governed by thieving gang of corrupted officials with their head mr.Putin. What one could expect from such a moron as mr.Mutko as a minister of sport?

So, personally, I'm not surprised by this scandal. As for my handlers, then I have only one handler - my wife. Her point of view is exactly the same.

As for fair decision then first of all international organizations should punish Russian officials (mr.Mutko and others). As for Russian sports(wo)men that never were spotted for wrongdoings then it is not right to punish them for mistakes and crimes of others. It would be acceptable to impose 100% tests for all Russian sportsmen on Olympic games but complete ban looks unfair.
To this moment only one - Darya Klishina is personally allowed to take part in the Olympic games.

Many times I wrote and repeat it now. Russia is governed by thieving gang of corrupted officials with their head mr.Putin. What one could expect from such a moron as mr.Mutko as a minister of sport?

So, personally, I'm not surprised by this scandal. As for my handlers, then I have only one handler - my wife. Her point of view is exactly the same.

As for fair decision then first of all international organizations should punish Russian officials (mr.Mutko and others). As for Russian sports(wo)men that never were spotted for wrongdoings then it is not right to punish them for mistakes and crimes of others. It would be acceptable to impose 100% tests for all Russian sportsmen on Olympic games but complete ban looks unfair.
To this moment only one - Darya Klishina is personally allowed to take part in the Olympic games.

Didn't Darya start his career as an Igor, but had to change after the steroids kicked in?

As for my handlers, then I have only one handler - my wife. Her point of view is exactly the same.
I seem to recall Sergy that she was actually former KGB? ;), hence your user name.

I seem to recall Sergy that she was actually former KGB? ;), hence your user name.
Yes, she is a former KGB lieutenant and my late Father was KGB colonel (military counter intelligence).

And your son, the weightlifter is still in the forces?

Ms.Klishina (long jumper) is talented but not an outstanding sportswoman. On the last Championship (2015) she was only 10th.
But only she (among Russian sportsmen) was allowed to participate in Olympic games.

At the same time such an outstanding sportwoman as Yelena Isinbayeva was not allowed to participate
Yelena Isinbayeva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yelena Gadzhievna Isinbayeva born 3 June 1982 is a Russianpole vaulter. She is a two-time Olympicgold medalist (2004 and 2008 ), a three-time World Champion (2005, 2007 and 2013), the current world record holder in the event, who is widely considered the greatest female pole-vaulter of all time

Isinbayeva was named Female Athlete of the Year by the IAAF in 2004, 2005 and 2008, and World Sportswoman of the Year by Laureus in 2007 and 2009. She was given the Prince of Asturias Award for Sports in 2009. She is one of only nine athletes (along with Valerie Adams, Usain Bolt, Veronica Campbell-Brown, Jacques Freitag, Kirani James, Jana Pittman, Dani Samuels, and David Storl) to win world championships at the youth, junior, and senior level of an athletic event.
She was never spotted on doping or any wrondoings and such a sportwoman is barred from Olympic games? It is not fair.

It isn't fair for the clean athletes to compete against those who are cheating either.

And your son, the weightlifter is still in the forces?
He is a lieutenant in reserve, served as a policeman. Now sport is his the only profession (he is a trainer) and hobby.

It is he carring heavy bags (each 100kg).

Last edited:
How shit do you have to be to cheat, but still win **** all?

At least Ben Johnson crossed the finish line first.

It isn't fair for the clean athletes to compete against those who are cheating either.
Absolutely agree.
But it is not fair to call all Russian sportsmen (with one exception) as cheating without any direct evidence.
Suppose that there are some criminals in a town. So what? Is it right to jail all inhabitants in the town?

Ms.Klishina (long jumper) is talented but not an outstanding sportswoman.

It is not fair.
Easy enough, the Blonde is prettier and lives in the US, the brunette is not as pretty, lives in Russia and has dared question 'Homosexual propaganda' - which means in the West she is a very bad sports woman and fundamentally evil!

Really Sergy don't you know how modern International sports work?

Last edited:
Absolutely agree.
But it is not fair to call all Russian sportsmen (with one exception) as cheating without any direct evidence.
Suppose that there are some criminals in a town. So what? Is it right to jail all inhabitants in the town?
No one is being punished, the Russian system simply fails to met the requirements for international competition, clean up the system and they will be able to compete again.

If the sportsmen and women were being punished they would receive lengthy bans.

Easy enough, the Blonde is prettier and lives in the US, the brunette is not as pretty, lives in Russia and has dared question 'Homosexual propaganda' - which means in the West she is a very bad sports woman and fundamentally evil!

Really Sergy don't you know how modern International sports work?
Yes, Putin's agitprop points out that ms.Klishina now lives in the USA and it probably matters for absolutely unbiased IAAF.
IAAF even doesn't care to explain why ms.Klishina is allowed to participate in Olympic games but mrs.Isinbayeva not.
Apparently IAAF prefers blondes. because Mariya Kuchina - Worl champion in high jump is not allowed to participate in Olympic games. Btw, she is a lieutenant in Russian armed forces.

Last edited:
Another Russian sportwoman is not blonde and thus barred by IAAF to participate in Olympic games.
Anna Vladimirovna Chicherova (Russian: Анна Владимировна Чичерова; born 22 July 1982) is a Russian high jumper. She was the gold medalist at the2012 London Olympics

Though she is 3/4 ethnically Armenian and could join Armenian team.