Russian Security at "Mass Events"?

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Jul 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

I wonder what the last phrase in the 3rd paragraph means? I also wonder if their " experts" will include those "experts" who planned the nuclear accident response plan at Chernobyl and the take-down of the Chechens (and hostages) in the Moscow theater incident.

And all this after Putin embarrasses Him over the screw up with the Marathon bombers and the NSA leaker seeking asylum in Russia.

The mind boggles.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  2. I initially has some sympathy for Snowden - sometimes people and governments need whistle blowers - but he's lost all credibility by running off to Moscow.
  3. JJH-

I have a lot of respect for some of the leadership of FEMA. This puzzles me a bit. I do know FEMA likes to put effort into "lessons learned" and reviewing past events were to look at mistakes made and how to prevent future problems. I cannot imagine that the US could utilize Russian security techniques at US events.

I do note that this is supposed to be a mutual learning process and emergency response people do like to share ideas. I would guess that the Russians might like to take a good look at the FEMA USAR teams as it uses procedures and technology that they could replicate.

Not sure why this is occurring as Putin spends his time showing Obama his middle finger
  4. I think this is a follow up to the Boston Marathon bombing. It's probably just window dressing to provide an excuse for better intelligence cooperation (i.e. paying closer attention to the Russians when they say someone is dodgy). This can go two ways, as Russia has an Olympics coming up and the US may be able to feed the occasional bit of useful information the other way.

The negotiations for cooperation would have taken time, while the PRISM leaks have appeared suddenly and unexpectedly. There is no national interest in letting the latter affect the former.

At the moment, Vladimir is having a good laugh at Obama's expense and reaping the diplomatic PR benefits. The leaks themselves are of no consequence to US - Russia relations. Indeed Russia may provide the US a very convenient exit from the Snowden hunt. If Snowden settles down in Moscow the issue will disappear from the news much more quickly than if he came back to the US and became a martyr via a lengthy and uncertain trial. Putin has already said that Snowden can only stay in Russia if he shuts up. The Snowden problem is mainly one of global PR so the sooner this disappears off the front pages the better it is for the US.

If you're concerned that he might tell the Russians everything he knows, I wouldn't worry about it. So many people had access to the same information as he did that I imagine the Russians, Chinese, Iranians, Germans, Japanese, Indians, Uruguayans, and anyone else who may have been even vaguely interested already had copies of everything that Snowden had, and then some, from their own moles. The only people who were in the dark about this were the American public. The shock and outrage from Europe are just posturing for the public. They knew about the spying because they have their own spies who find out about these things, but they can't exactly say that, can they?

Most of what Snowden has revealed so far had already leaked out piecemeal via other routes. What he did was put it all together in context in a manner that the public could relate to and from a credible source.

Weren't you the one who was always telling us that the US government was using the US constitution and laws as bumwad? Why are you so shocked that you were right?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I think with the recent spate of home grown bombmakers you should be glad to share experiences with any party, they may have that one good idea your own people have overlooked.

The problem of terrorism is global, the Russians have had a lot of experience and you can't write them all off as toothless alky piss stained ex bolsheviks, they have some very very clever cookies indeed.

They also take security very seriously, the last time I flew to Kamchatka (for an interview with a big brown bear) all the passengers, every single one, was strip searched before each internal flight.. Often, in the regional airports, that involves undressing in a big drafty shed in full view of all the other passengers and being checked out by male and female security staff. The fact that I and my German hunter muckers were all bombed up to **** and a possible source of bribes, made us more interesting to the Russkies.

What I like most about the Russians is they don't **** about. If they think you are gobby they will deck you, if they think you are a threat, they will kill you. They read the "rules of engagement" card later, if it exists.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I have a picture of them training...

Attached Files:

• tg.jpg
      File size:
      51.3 KB
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Good points but my main focus was the cryptic (hopefully a function of translation grammatical imprecision) phrase about providing security-call me old fashioned but I will trust but verify.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ".......provision of security at mass events."

Dunno, but suspect someone senior at a US agency said something along the lines of ;
    "Boston marathon, Chechen terrorists. Who do we know with experience of Chechen terrorists?"
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The "experts" who master minded Chernobyl were in fact Ukranians. Sounds a bit like nit picking, but confusing Russians with Ukrainians or vice versa is a bit like calling a Jock and Englishman. Furthermore it was in house emergency exersise that went ever so slightly wrong.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. It was part of the USSR at the time, so let's just call them all Soviets for the sake of clarity/pedantry.
  11. If it's still treason for a Russian to speak to a foreigner, then they won't be issuing any verbal warnings before opening fire in the United States!

On the serious side, glad to see a chance for Russia and America to work together, but this move does not fit with recent history. I thought the Cold War was back, so will be pleased if the wall between east and west has a crack in it.

Yours truly,
    Confused of Arrse
  12. Yes, I am he and continue to sound a clarion call in that regard. I suppose my shock is the result of my eternal optimism about our bloated "Jaba the Hut" known as our federal government. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. And you are seriously contending that there is a substantive political difference between the foreign policy of its predecessor the USSR and that of "Russia" vis a vis the US with Putin back in the saddle?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. No. You appear to have read far, far too much into my single sentence.
  15. I take your (rather fine) point. I do however stand by my point in that the USSR was the model of centralized governmental control out of Moscow (at least until it began unraveling in the last half of the 1980s and an event like Chernobyl clearly would have been "handled" from Moscow. As one author who has focused on the disaster has noted: