Russian professor predicts the end of the US

The Wall Street Journal has an article on ex-KGB analyst, Igor Panarin, who predicts US a civil war which will lead to the collapse of the dollar and the eventual break up of the USA.

A polite and cheerful man with a buzz cut, Mr. Panarin insists he does not dislike Americans. But he warns that the outlook for them is dire.

"There's a 55-45% chance right now that disintegration will occur," he says. "One could rejoice in that process," he adds, poker-faced. "But if we're talking reasonably, it's not the best scenario -- for Russia." Though Russia would become more powerful on the global stage, he says, its economy would suffer because it currently depends heavily on the dollar and on trade with the U.S.

Mr. Panarin posits, in brief, that mass immigration, economic decline, and moral degradation will trigger a civil war next fall and the collapse of the dollar. Around the end of June 2010, or early July, he says, the U.S. will break into six pieces -- with Alaska reverting to Russian control.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123051100709638419.html

Is Rome burning or is it Russian wishful thinking?

Russian wishful thinking. He is fantasising about Alaska, that is a classic dreamy eyed vision for the odd Russian or three, 'what might have been, if only' etc. Still it'd make for a good techno thriller.

Tazzers said:
Russian wishful thinking. He is fantasising about Alaska, that is a classic dreamy eyed vision for the odd Russian or three, 'what might have been, if only' etc. Still it'd make for a good techno thriller.
Yeah, but who would play Bush, Brown, Obama, and Putin in the thriller?

My choices:

Bush -- Chevy Chase

Brown -- Gregor Fisher

Putin -- Christopher Walken or Sean Bean

Obama -- Craig Charles

Contrarian said:
The Wall Street Journal has an article on ex-KGB analyst, Igor Panarin, who predicts US a civil war which will lead to the collapse of the dollar and the eventual break up of the USA.
I think that widespread civil unrest may happen after a couple of years of Obama & Co raping the USA.

T

trowel

I wouldn't dismiss the theory so lightly, the possibility of this has been under discussion within the US itself for thirty years to my knowledge.

trowel said:
I wouldn't dismiss the theory so lightly, the possibility of this has been under discussion within the US itself for thirty years to my knowledge.
California will form the nucleus of what he calls "The Californian Republic," and will be part of China or under Chinese influence.
No I think I will dismiss it actually.

Perhaps we could get the thirteen colonies back. And even persuade them to pay their back taxes.

T

trowel

Everything is cyclical is it not? The break up of the USSR removes the need for the rest of the "West" to hide behind the skirts of the US. The USSR is not going to return, the Chinese are to diverse to achieve world dominance. There is only Europe and the rest of planet depends on us, as it did a century ago. As I said Cyclical.

Even the USA the current Superpower will fall like every other Superpower before it

The question who will take over in it place! India, Brazil, just 2 of a few in the running

T

trowel

Dave. Get a grip. Without Europe, India and South America will go straight down the tube. Oh look, isn't Africa doing well.

trowel said:
Everything is cyclical is it not? The break up of the USSR removes the need for the rest of the "West" to hide behind the skirts of the US. The USSR is not going to return, the Chinese are to diverse to achieve world dominance. There is only Europe and the rest of planet depends on us, as it did a century ago. As I said Cyclical.
If you're really arguing cyclical, why discount the Chinese? They were, after all, the dominant world power for a fair few centuries under the Ming. In a cyclical arrangement, they'd be due a turn as top dog before us Europeans got our shot.

Of course, history might not be cyclical... :wink:

Contrarian said:

A polite and cheerful man with a buzz cut, Mr. Panarin insists he does not dislike Americans. But he warns that the outlook for them is dire.

"There's a 55-45% chance right now that disintegration will occur," he says. "One could rejoice in that process," he adds, poker-faced. "But if we're talking reasonably, it's not the best scenario -- for Russia." Though Russia would become more powerful on the global stage, he says, its economy would suffer because it currently depends heavily on the dollar and on trade with the U.S.

Mr. Panarin posits, in brief, that mass immigration, economic decline, and moral degradation will trigger a civil war next fall and the collapse of the dollar. Around the end of June 2010, or early July, he says, the U.S. will break into six pieces -- with Alaska reverting to Russian control.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123051100709638419.html

Is Rome burning or is it Russian wishful thinking?
Absolute nonsense, for all its current problems the US is not going to fall apart in2010; thisman is an idiot

T

trowel

A new world order built upon footballers, coffee, parrots, and dossing. Yeah I think I'm almost convinced.

T

trowel

Apart from Chicken Chow Mein, what have the Chinese ever done for us. It is now believed that Chinese culture was kick started by European migration there, albeit millenia ago.

Temple said:
Absolute nonsense, for all its current problems the US is not going to fall apart in2010; thisman is an idiot
What makes you so certain that the US is immune from drowning in a sea of debt that it's unable to service, or that it is immune from societal collapse due to entrenched divisions and tensions (that will come to the surface as people endure endemic poverty) throughout American society? Or that an impending bankruptcy of the US won't turn it into the world's first 'undeveloped' country?

Not that I'm arguing the end of the US will happen in 2010. Things are looking very bleak, however.

And a happy New Year to you all! :p

trowel said:
It is now believed that Chinese culture was kick started by European migration there, albeit millenia ago.
It's also now believed that Space Lizards fiddle the Oscars.

Where's the evidence that stacks up against the Yellow River archaeological finds indicating continuous intrinsic development since about the 7th millenium BC?

European migration to China? How'd they get there and why wasn't the route better established than it was, if they'd gone in sufficient numbers to influence an entire culture? Where are the ethnic-Europeans in China now?

trowel said:
Apart from Chicken Chow Mein, what have the Chinese ever done for us. It is now believed that Chinese culture was kick started by European migration there, albeit millenia ago.
Printing
Paper
Gunpowder
Compasses
Ice Cream