Russian parliamentary elections 2 December

Our friend In-Limbo (on another thread) proposed to read this article

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=24&art_id=nw20071129122320971C265454

Growing numbers of Russian voters say they are coming under pressure from authorities and employers to vote for President Vladimir Putin's United Russia party in parliamentary elections this weekend.
I assure you that the majority of the Russians will vote for Putin's party because they support pres.Putin. It is the truth.

Personally I will vote for communist as the only political force that is able to monitor current corrupted regime.

Russian newspapers and blogs have reported accounts from students, teachers and employees of Kremlin-connected businesses who say they have been threatened with reprisals if they stay away from the polls.
Nonsense. It is impossible to know how anybody has voted. There are some opposition parties and unlikely they would receive many votes, because they are not popular.

The independent newspaper Vedomosti reported this week that mobile phone operators MTS and Megafon had received a letter from the local party chapter of United Russia in Siberia asking for contributions.

Vedomosti said United Russia had threatened to complain to the Kremlin if the companies refused, but the party has denied resorting to such blatant coercion.
It is unthinkable to suppose that such giants as MTS or Megafon (I'm a subscriber of both) could be forced to pay even a rouble. Vedomosti? Look who are the sponsors of this 'independent' edition.

http://www.vedomosti.ru/

They are The Wall Street Journal and Financial Times. The technology is well known. Russian so called 'independent newspaper' spreads rumours and then 'serious' Western newspapers reproduce the rumours.

KGB_resident said:
Our friend In-Limbo (on another thread) proposed to read this article

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=24&art_id=nw20071129122320971C265454

Growing numbers of Russian voters say they are coming under pressure from authorities and employers to vote for President Vladimir Putin's United Russia party in parliamentary elections this weekend.
I assure you that the majority of the Russians will vote for Putin's party because they support pres.Putin. It is the truth.

Personally I will vote for communist as the only political force that is able to monitor current corrupted regime.
Russian newspapers and blogs have reported accounts from students, teachers and employees of Kremlin-connected businesses who say they have been threatened with reprisals if they stay away from the polls.
Nonsense. It is impossible to know how anybody has voted. There are some opposition parties and unlikely they would receive many votes, because they are not popular.

The independent newspaper Vedomosti reported this week that mobile phone operators MTS and Megafon had received a letter from the local party chapter of United Russia in Siberia asking for contributions.

Vedomosti said United Russia had threatened to complain to the Kremlin if the companies refused, but the party has denied resorting to such blatant coercion.
It is unthinkable to suppose that such giants as MTS or Megafon (I'm a subscriber of both) could be forced to pay even a rouble. Vedomosti? Look who are the sponsors of this 'independent' edition.

http://www.vedomosti.ru/

They are The Wall Street Journal and Financial Times. The technology is well known. Russian so called 'independent newspaper' spreads rumours and then 'serious' Western newspapers reproduce the rumours.
Ha ha ha! Yes, Tov. Rezidient.

I'm not sure who I'll vote for this time, I like Vlad the Impailer but 3 terms is enough for any people... I think i'll sink a bottle of Vodka on December 2 and decide on the night :)

I completely Concur! Putin gets unbelievably high approval ratings, the Russians love him.

What about calls for a change in the Constitution to allow Putin to serve another term, or do you reckon he will be content as Prime Minister?

Btw, I suspect that many would prefer somebody like mr.Putin as conservative leader instead of Davie-boy.

Putin will win since he has given some of the old glory back to the 'down in the dumps in the international arena' Russia.

Once a power to reckon with and then toothless is a very difficult psychological imbalance to handle. Anyone, who can resurrect the old glory will do well.

His aggressive stand on various issues that the US tried to pooh pooh as a 'has been' and not worth consideration, has given back some prestige to the Russian people.

Any Russian would vote for Putim or his protege without question.

Rayc said:
Putin will win since he has given some of the old glory back to the 'down in the dumps in the international arena' Russia.

Once a power to reckon with and then toothless is a very difficult psychological imbalance to handle. Anyone, who can resurrect the old glory will do well.

His aggressive stand on various issues that the US tried to pooh pooh as a 'has been' and not worth consideration, has given back some prestige to the Russian people.

Any Russian would vote for Putim or his protege without question.
I will not vote and many Russians will not vote too. However, I will not vote for those who are being fed up from American embassy in Moscow.

Today is voting day in Russia. How BBC-Russian does inform its readers?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/russian/russia/newsid_7123000/7123354.stm

During Soviet period the voters were attracted to polling stations by food; now by other means...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/russian/in_depth/2007/rus_elecs/newsid_7109000/7109914.stm

"2 December I will go and vote for Communists!" - my friend said ne recenty, who traditionally voted for the Union of Right Forces [SPS - pro-Western liberal party].

"Why?" - I [BBC correspondent Konstantin Eggert] asked. The man - a vice-president of sizeble investment company explained that he doesn't believe in success of SPS and doesn't wish that his vote would be wasted.

"Communists - are anyway an opposition. So with a disgust, but I will vote for Zyuganov [the leader of Russian communists]" - he summed it up.

16 years after the collapse of the USSR and crash of Soviet communist party unreformed and Stalin-loved Russian communist party with its unclear ideas about "Russian civilisation" appeared the only hope for a man with $250,000 year incom.
Btw, today I will vote for communists too and many will because it is the only viable opposition.

No surprise to see that United Russia has 64% of the vote.

It will be interesting to see how the new 7% threshold effects many of the smaller parties.

KGB_resident said:
Btw, today I will vote for communists too and many will because it is the only viable opposition.
Funny that, it is exactly what happened here in 1997.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7124585.stm

The statement was made by a joint observer team of the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) and the Council of Europe.

With nearly 98% of ballots counted, Mr Putin's United Russia had 64.1% of Sunday's vote.

Mr Putin said the poll was "legitimate" and a vote of public trust in him.

[The elections were] the most unfair and dirtiest in the whole history of modern Russia
Garry Kasparov,
Russian opposition activist

Criticism cannot mask reality
Press sees tainted triumph

The election showed that Russians would not allow their nation to develop along a "destructive path" as had happened in several former Soviet countries, Mr Putin was quoted as saying by Russian news agencies.

Opposition claims of fraud have been rejected by Russia's electoral commission.

'Not a level playing field'

The election "was not fair and failed to meet many OSCE and Council of Europe commitments and standards for democratic elections," the observers from the OSCE's Parliamentary Assembly and the Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly told a news conference in Moscow.

The vote affirmed the main idea - that Vladimir Putin is the national leader
Boris Gryzlov,
United Russia leader

Food, music welcome voters
In pictures: Russia votes

The statement said the polls "took place in an atmosphere which seriously limited political competition" and that "there was not a level political playing field".

"Frequent abuse of administrative resources, media coverage strongly in favour of the ruling party and an election code whose cumulative effect hindered political pluralism" had tainted the polls, the observers said.

The OSCE had abandoned its plans to send a large team of monitors, accusing Moscow of imposing curbs and delaying visas. Russia denied the claims.

Only a much smaller group of members of the OSCE's Parliamentary Assembly had attended the election, leaving some 330 foreign monitors covering nearly 100,000 polling stations.

Several European countries and the US have urged the Russian authorities to investigate reports of fraud.

Nato Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer expressed concern over the conduct of the elections.

'Parallel count'

The opposition Communists and two other parties - A Fair Russia and the right-wing Liberal Democratic Party - were also poised to win seats in the 450-member lower chamber of the parliament, the State Duma.

Pie chart showing election results

The country's liberal opposition parties looked certain to fail to clear the 7% threshold needed to enter parliament. In total, 11 parties were competing for places in the State Duma.

The Communists have said they will mount a legal challenge to the result, and will decide shortly whether to boycott the new parliament.

"We do not trust these figures announced by the central elections commission and we will conduct a parallel count," Communist Party leader Gennady Zyuganov said after the vote.

Guess Putin better put a lot of Polonium 210 orders in. Busy days ahead for him.

I seem to recall they said similar things about certain events in Florida.

ghost_us said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7124585.stm

The statement was made by a joint observer team of the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) and the Council of Europe.

With nearly 98% of ballots counted, Mr Putin's United Russia had 64.1% of Sunday's vote.

Mr Putin said the poll was "legitimate" and a vote of public trust in him.

[The elections were] the most unfair and dirtiest in the whole history of modern Russia
Garry Kasparov,
Russian opposition activist

Criticism cannot mask reality
Press sees tainted triumph

The election showed that Russians would not allow their nation to develop along a "destructive path" as had happened in several former Soviet countries, Mr Putin was quoted as saying by Russian news agencies.

Opposition claims of fraud have been rejected by Russia's electoral commission.

'Not a level playing field'

The election "was not fair and failed to meet many OSCE and Council of Europe commitments and standards for democratic elections," the observers from the OSCE's Parliamentary Assembly and the Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly told a news conference in Moscow.

The vote affirmed the main idea - that Vladimir Putin is the national leader
Boris Gryzlov,
United Russia leader

Food, music welcome voters
In pictures: Russia votes

The statement said the polls "took place in an atmosphere which seriously limited political competition" and that "there was not a level political playing field".

"Frequent abuse of administrative resources, media coverage strongly in favour of the ruling party and an election code whose cumulative effect hindered political pluralism" had tainted the polls, the observers said.

The OSCE had abandoned its plans to send a large team of monitors, accusing Moscow of imposing curbs and delaying visas. Russia denied the claims.

Only a much smaller group of members of the OSCE's Parliamentary Assembly had attended the election, leaving some 330 foreign monitors covering nearly 100,000 polling stations.

Several European countries and the US have urged the Russian authorities to investigate reports of fraud.

Nato Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer expressed concern over the conduct of the elections.

'Parallel count'

The opposition Communists and two other parties - A Fair Russia and the right-wing Liberal Democratic Party - were also poised to win seats in the 450-member lower chamber of the parliament, the State Duma.

Pie chart showing election results

The country's liberal opposition parties looked certain to fail to clear the 7% threshold needed to enter parliament. In total, 11 parties were competing for places in the State Duma.

The Communists have said they will mount a legal challenge to the result, and will decide shortly whether to boycott the new parliament.

"We do not trust these figures announced by the central elections commission and we will conduct a parallel count," Communist Party leader Gennady Zyuganov said after the vote.

Guess Putin better put a lot of Polonium 210 orders in. Busy days ahead for him.
That'll have Vlad quaking - "All against say Noe - the Ayes have it - unanimously!"

Fecking losers. Its obvious Papa Joe ain't in charge :twisted:

too_tall said:
No surprise to see that United Russia has 64% of the vote.

It will be interesting to see how the new 7% threshold effects many of the smaller parties.
Agrarian party (left, Communist rival in country side) got 2.5%

Pro-Western parties

Yabloko (center-left) 1.6%
SPS (right) 1%
Civil platform (centre) 1%

This political vocabulary should be used

Unfair elections - election where pro-American puppets lost.
Free elections - elections where the USA is free to decide who would be elected.

KGB_resident said:

Free elections - elections where the USA is free to decide who would be elected.
:D :D oh how true that is..........

KGB_resident said:

You missed one:

Rigged elections - Elections in Russia where it "looks" like the playing field was level, but really was not.

Sergey, you didn't really read the article. The OSCE and COE are european agencies, not American.

I think most Americans are glad that Russians are voting on their leaders, finally. We just hope it stays that way.

For a nation that has a long history of Coups, dictators, totalitarians, and monarchs it wouldn't be much of a stretch to return to your roots.

Am i the only one to find Russia's current nostalgia for the old days sort of warm and reassuring? Western style democracy just isn't Russian. They don't do fluffy, cuddly, touchy feely and attempts do do so just seem, well, Borat'ish.

No, much better with a Russia we can all identify with. Saber rattling, spies, cloak and dagger stuff mixed in with a good dose of anti-Western rhetoric. Welcome back comrades we've missed you :p

ghost, the elections may not have been fair, but if they were Putin still would have won with a massive majority.

Putin is a highly popular leader, so popular in fact that if he decided to change the consitution to allow him to serve another term he would probably get away with it.

Our politicians would kill for the level of support.

The next President of Russia (if not Putin) will be a puppet for Putin.