Russian News Agency Itar-Tass Executive Killed in Moscow

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by NEO_CON, Oct 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Must be close to the Russian elections

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=aGS5MxeCajYs&refer=europe

2. Truly scary.Seems Putin is up to his old KGB tricks again.Wonder what is going to take to stop this man who has ingratiated himself to GW so much the Whitehouse is turning a blind eye to what is obviously a " democracy" slipping into draconian rule. Remember this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1392791.stm

3. Seems like everyone is turning a blind eye to Putin. Russia just bought 5 percent of EADS which owns AirBus and the Russians are partners in Galileo a European GPS system which has military implications, where are the Europeans, maybe they are too busy complaining about Bush.

5. Being a journalist is a pretty hazardous profession in Putin's Russia.

7. You know, if Hitler had any saving graces, it's the fact that he loved Germany greatly (hence his desire to build a Reich that would last a thousand years-proving it wasn't all about him.)

Putin is no different.Mark my words, by the time we are done with this guy, we will all be looking at each other over a ceasefire/armistice or a surrender table.As for who will be dictating the terms,only history will tell and as far as things are going, God help us all.

8. While I don't like Putin, I wouldn't put him in Hitlers or Stalin's category.
    What Putin is trying to do is put together most of the old Soviet Union.
    1-- Strengthening the Russian government , Russian style
    2 --Frustrating and opposing US foreign policy whenever, wherever and however possible.
    3-- Neutralising the European governments through their dependence on Russian energy.
    This gives the Russian Bear the flexibility to operate against the weak states ,on Russia's border ,that broke of during the Soviet Union's colaspe .
    Its old Europe reasserting itself.

9. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

10. I am looking forward to another Clinton running for office.

11. I agree. There are other dangerous places, like Iraq but indeed journalism in Russia is a very dangerous profession.

In this case however, the killed was not strictly speaking a working journalist, rather businessman involved in media-business.

While the killing of mrs.Politkovskaya (btw, it appears that she had also American citizenship) has been made by a proffessional, the killing of mr.Voronin was rather usual murder and its causes maybe were not connected at all to his work.