Russian News Agency Itar-Tass Executive Killed in Moscow

The business chief of Russian news agency Itar-Tass, Anatoly Voronin, was killed last night in his apartment in central Moscow, the agency reported.

Death was the result of multiple knife wounds, according to police, Itar-Tass reported. Several theories are being investigated, the agency said.

The body of 55-year-old Voronin was found at his home by his driver, the news agency said. He had worked at the agency for 23 years. His death is the latest in a spate of high-profile killings in Russia in little over a month
Must be close to the Russian elections

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=aGS5MxeCajYs&refer=europe

Truly scary.Seems Putin is up to his old KGB tricks again.Wonder what is going to take to stop this man who has ingratiated himself to GW so much the Whitehouse is turning a blind eye to what is obviously a " democracy" slipping into draconian rule. Remember this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1392791.stm

Truly scary.Seems Putin is up to his old KGB tricks again.Wonder what is going to take to stop this man who has ingratiated himself to GW so much the Whitehouse is turning a blind eye to what is obviously a " democracy" slipping into draconian rule. Remember this?
Seems like everyone is turning a blind eye to Putin. Russia just bought 5 percent of EADS which owns AirBus and the Russians are partners in Galileo a European GPS system which has military implications, where are the Europeans, maybe they are too busy complaining about Bush.

NEO_CON said:
...maybe they are too busy complaining about Bush.
I honestly don't think so.

The Bush presidency has IMHO already been thrown into the confines of history (unless he tops himself by starting another war he can't finish.)

The world is at the moment very leaderless-a role the US has traditionally filled- so Putin has all the manouvring space he needs to act with impunity.The closest thing to fill this vacuum left by the US is China and they seem incapable of stepping up to the plate.

Nobody expects anything from Bush anymore.If you ask me, the world is moving ahead hoping nothing really fecked up happens before Bush gets out of office.The English can't help too much because they are connected dick-in-arrse to the US.The French-well,they are the French....

I'm willing to bet, although I can't prove it, that the next two years will not go fast enough for the rest of the world who are desparately in need of some real leadership for a change.

I bet that the Bush presidency was so geared to pleasing the domestic audience that they failed to realise that the president of the US sets the agenda for most international matters. So when the president is missing in action vis-a-vis Russia,it means Putin can walk into a nursery full of kids and start swinging wildly and walk out knowing nothing will ever come of his actions.

Devil_Dog said:
NEO_CON said:
...maybe they are too busy complaining about Bush.
No Europe is not yet a cohesive whole when it comes to foriegn Policy (thank God) and the majority of Europes Gas comes from Russia - so don't expect any principled stands from Brussels about Moscow until we crack Nuclear Fusion or Hydrogen Cells.

Devil_Dog said:
The Bush presidency has IMHO already been thrown into the confines of history (unless he tops himself by starting another war he can't finish.)
Many think that is what Cheny and Bush will do as a lasting legacy setting the US's course for the next Administration - airstrikes on Iran.

Devil_Dog said:
The world is at the moment very leaderless-a role the US has traditionally filled- so Putin has all the manouvring space he needs to act with impunity.The closest thing to fill this vacuum left by the US is China and they seem incapable of stepping up to the plate.
Agreed that the World is all over the road at present, in defence of China though the Country is beset with internal problems (including dependance on Russian Oil) and is still feeling out its International role - not something that China has any real experience of, so understandable they are taking it gently.

Devil_Dog said:
Nobody expects anything from Bush anymore.If you ask me, the world is moving ahead hoping nothing really fecked up happens before Bush gets out of office.The English can't help too much because they are connected dick-in-arrse to the US.The French-well,they are the French....
Yep Tony the poodle in desperately wanting a post retirement US job has screwed the UK's International credibility.

Devil_Dog said:
I'm willing to bet, although I can't prove it, that the next two years will not go fast enough for the rest of the world who are desparately in need of some real leadership for a change.
agreed

Devil_Dog said:
I bet that the Bush presidency was so geared to pleasing the domestic audience that they failed to realise that the president of the US sets the agenda for most international matters. So when the president is missing in action vis-a-vis Russia,it means Putin can walk into a nursery full of kids and start swinging wildly and walk out knowing nothing will ever come of his actions.
Well Putin has the measure of the what the world will or will not put up with, like Bush and Bliar he is building a lasting legacy, his however is one that for better or worse will strenghen Russia.

Well Putin has the measure of the what the world will or will not put up with, like Bush and Bliar he is building a lasting legacy, his however is one that for better or worse will strenghen Russia.
You know, if Hitler had any saving graces, it's the fact that he loved Germany greatly (hence his desire to build a Reich that would last a thousand years-proving it wasn't all about him.)

Putin is no different.Mark my words, by the time we are done with this guy, we will all be looking at each other over a ceasefire/armistice or a surrender table.As for who will be dictating the terms,only history will tell and as far as things are going, God help us all.

Putin is no different.Mark my words, by the time we are done with this guy, we will all be looking at each other over a ceasefire/armistice or a surrender table.As for who will be dictating the terms,only history will tell and as far as things are going, God help us all.
While I don't like Putin, I wouldn't put him in Hitlers or Stalin's category.
What Putin is trying to do is put together most of the old Soviet Union.
1-- Strengthening the Russian government , Russian style
2 --Frustrating and opposing US foreign policy whenever, wherever and however possible.
3-- Neutralising the European governments through their dependence on Russian energy.
This gives the Russian Bear the flexibility to operate against the weak states ,on Russia's border ,that broke of during the Soviet Union's colaspe .
Its old Europe reasserting itself.

Devil_Dog said:
NEO_CON said:

Funnily enough you can buy a Bush count down calender from Borders bookshop

tomahawk6 said:
Being a journalist is a pretty hazardous profession in Putin's Russia.
I agree. There are other dangerous places, like Iraq but indeed journalism in Russia is a very dangerous profession.

In this case however, the killed was not strictly speaking a working journalist, rather businessman involved in media-business.

While the killing of mrs.Politkovskaya (btw, it appears that she had also American citizenship) has been made by a proffessional, the killing of mr.Voronin was rather usual murder and its causes maybe were not connected at all to his work.