Russian Navy to enter Med

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSL0518563620071205?sp=true

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia said on Wednesday it would start the first major navy sortie into the Mediterranean since Soviet times, the latest move by an increasingly assertive Moscow to demonstrate its military might.

"The aim of the sorties is to ensure a naval presence in tactically important regions of the world ocean," Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov told President Vladimir Putin, who wished the sailors well. The rest of the meeting was closed.

Serdyukov said 11 ships, including an aircraft carrier, would take part in the sortie and be backed up by 47 aircraft -- including strategic bombers
Syria must be crossing their fingers that they stay there...

Sounds good to me. After their first run ashore half the matelotskis will be AWOL and the other half will be too pi$$ed to find north on a chart. Sorted.

Rumpelstiltskin said:
http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSL0518563620071205?sp=true

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia said on Wednesday it would start the first major navy sortie into the Mediterranean since Soviet times, the latest move by an increasingly assertive Moscow to demonstrate its military might.

"The aim of the sorties is to ensure a naval presence in tactically important regions of the world ocean," Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov told President Vladimir Putin, who wished the sailors well. The rest of the meeting was closed.

Serdyukov said 11 ships, including an aircraft carrier, would take part in the sortie and be backed up by 47 aircraft -- including strategic bombers
Syria must be crossing their fingers that they stay there...
The med???? An ocean??? I think not!!!!

Mr Happy said:
Good of them to parade all their latest (functioning) kit past Gib for us to take a look at...
Wot? Train spotter stylee? Cos that's about all we're gonna manage these days.

I can just see the senior matelots of our emasculated navy perched on the Rock, binos scouring the horizon..."is that a Kirov or Gorky class mate?"

"Dunno mucker - but I haven't got either in this spotter's manual"

"Well they had better not enter our waters or I shall simply scream"

Fortunately the foresight of our current Government has ensured that the Royal Navy has two rowing boats and a Rib stationed in Gibralter to keep the Russian Navy under observation and counter any suspicious moves they may make.
However due to this heavy use of Royal Navy resources it only leaves three canoes and a pedalo to patrol the coastline of the UK

jagman said:
Fortunately the foresight of our current Government has ensured that the Royal Navy has two rowing boats and a Rib stationed in Gibralter to keep the Russian Navy under observation and counter any suspicious moves they may make.
However due to this heavy use of Royal Navy resources it only leaves three canoes and a pedalo to patrol the coastline of the UK
Don't forget the pedalo has a GPMG mounted up on the bow..

That should frighten them off.......

Alsacien

LE
Mr Happy said:
Good of them to parade all their latest (functioning) kit past Gib for us to take a look at...
Looking is about all we can do - that force exceeds the deployable strength of the RN :cry:

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I hope the Ruskies aren't of the same habit as the Iranians; there can't be that many Ipods left!

Mr Happy

LE
Alsacien said:
Mr Happy said:
Looking is about all we can do - that force exceeds the deployable strength of the RN :cry:
that's why we're in something called NATO I believe..

Alsacien said:
Mr Happy said:
Where did it all go wrong for the RN and HMF on the whole?

I wonder whether any of our "Pathetic Class" will be sent on exercise to the med?

Your looking at a totally different deployment pattern for the Russan Navy -those 11 ships wll spend 10 months of the year in port and then do a surge deployment into the North Atlantic and maybe the med - looks good on Russian TV (they cover such things a lot), but is no way to run a navy. We currently on the other hand have 3 frigates EoS, and 2 in the Med.

Combined with the fact that all but 2 on the Northern fleets destroyers/frigates/crusers are 20+ years old and the carrier doesn't work properly, and the point that while the Russian Navy is building 5 new corvettes and 5 new diseal subs, it has ONE new destroyer and ONE new SSN on the stocks, and despite the gobbing off of the Def Sec no prospects of new carriers (the new dry dock to replace the old one in the Ukrane has yet to be built, and even then it is planned to use it mostly of LNG tankers), I'm not worried.

And if they stop off in Malta I'll throw rocks at them just to be sure :)

D&IS release latest Royal Navy Ship purchase catalogue

Click

Mr Happy said:
Bad_Crow said:
Where did it all go wrong for the RN and HMF on the whole?
I believe it was some time around 1997

And since 1997 when the two jokers above arrived on the scene....Churchill famously said referring to the RAF seeing off the hun in the Battle of Britain.

'Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few'

A direct correlation cannot of course be made to those gallant events of 1940 but it seems today the Government want deployments in ever far flung sandpits around the world whilst at the same time starving HM Forces of the kit and resources needed to make these operations a success.

Lives have already been lost due to the 'funding priorities' of this Government, sadly I suspect there will be more.

jagman said:
Ah, but Swiss Des has assured everyone that the recce will be comprehensive as the Andrew have recently replaced their stolen iPods with the iPhone during their last millionaire's weekend. Photos can be taken with its camera and uploaded in near real time to the RN's new, top secret, state of the art, image storage facility- known to insiders as "My Space".