Russian Navy to enter Med

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Rumpelstiltskin, Dec 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Syria must be crossing their fingers that they stay there...
  2. Sounds good to me. After their first run ashore half the matelotskis will be AWOL and the other half will be too pi$$ed to find north on a chart. Sorted.
  3. The med???? An ocean??? I think not!!!!
  4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Good of them to parade all their latest (functioning) kit past Gib for us to take a look at...
  5. Wot? Train spotter stylee? Cos that's about all we're gonna manage these days.

I can just see the senior matelots of our emasculated navy perched on the Rock, binos scouring the horizon..."is that a Kirov or Gorky class mate?"

"Dunno mucker - but I haven't got either in this spotter's manual"

"Well they had better not enter our waters or I shall simply scream"
  6. Fortunately the foresight of our current Government has ensured that the Royal Navy has two rowing boats and a Rib stationed in Gibralter to keep the Russian Navy under observation and counter any suspicious moves they may make.
    However due to this heavy use of Royal Navy resources it only leaves three canoes and a pedalo to patrol the coastline of the UK
  7. Don't forget the pedalo has a GPMG mounted up on the bow..

That should frighten them off.......
  8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

It worked with the Iranians...
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Looking is about all we can do - that force exceeds the deployable strength of the RN :cry:
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I hope the Ruskies aren't of the same habit as the Iranians; there can't be that many Ipods left!
  11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

that's why we're in something called NATO I believe..
  12. Where did it all go wrong for the RN and HMF on the whole?

I wonder whether any of our "Pathetic Class" will be sent on exercise to the med?
  13. Your looking at a totally different deployment pattern for the Russan Navy -those 11 ships wll spend 10 months of the year in port and then do a surge deployment into the North Atlantic and maybe the med - looks good on Russian TV (they cover such things a lot), but is no way to run a navy. We currently on the other hand have 3 frigates EoS, and 2 in the Med.

Combined with the fact that all but 2 on the Northern fleets destroyers/frigates/crusers are 20+ years old and the carrier doesn't work properly, and the point that while the Russian Navy is building 5 new corvettes and 5 new diseal subs, it has ONE new destroyer and ONE new SSN on the stocks, and despite the gobbing off of the Def Sec no prospects of new carriers (the new dry dock to replace the old one in the Ukrane has yet to be built, and even then it is planned to use it mostly of LNG tankers), I'm not worried.

And if they stop off in Malta I'll throw rocks at them just to be sure :)
  14. D&IS release latest Royal Navy Ship purchase catalogue