Russian Navy - no longer Blue Water?

Seems a bit ironic that when we were cruising around the Ionian sea earlier this year many of the super yachts were Russian owned and considerably bigger than most of the Russian Navy vessels still in service .

Seems a bit ironic that when we were cruising around the Ionian sea earlier this year many of the super yachts were Russian owned and considerably bigger than most of the Russian Navy vessels still in service .
The same admiral Nakhimov who commanded the Russian fleet at the Battle of Sinop mentioned in my previous post was involved as a more junior officer in the Battle of Navarino in the Ionian Sea. This battle was part of the Greek War of Independence; the Greeks were fighting to separate from the Ottoman Empire. The Russians fought in alliance with the British and French, and according to a number of sources Nakhimov received honours and decorations from allies (including the Order of the Bath) for his outstanding performance in that battle.

Nakhimov died in the Crimean War at the Siege of Sevastopol where he was in charge of the defences.

I can answer that one: the papers crawled all over the BStU archive of Stasi documents back in 2016 and the archivists found precisely nothing.
They did indeed. They have yet to crawl around the KGB and GRU's archives. Both of those agencies were at full power in the DDR during those years.
(Not really on-subject, but certainly related.)

Yokel

LE
This is from The National Interest and probably needs a large pinch of salt but I cannot see how this could have been misinterpreted:

Why Can't Russia Replace Its Old Submarines Fast Enough?

In March 2017, Russia’s new Yasen-class nuclear attack submarine Kazan launched at the northern port city of Severodvinsk. Perhaps the quietest Russian submarine ever, the event was further evidence the Kremlin can still build capable and lethal subs capable of a variety of missions, including cruise-missile attack.

But it won’t be enough. The Russian navy — already badly depleted since the collapse of the Soviet Union — can’t quickly replace most of its existing nuclear submarine fleet, which is approaching the end of its collective lifespan. The outcome will likely mean a shrinking of the Russian nuclear submarine force in the years ahead.

philc

LE
Looking like Russia will have one less Blue Water asset, this looks a big fire. Been looking at this for an hour and it seems not the old fire of Turkey but a new fire.

Russian aircraft carrier "Admiral Kuznetsov" caught fire during repair works at Zvezdochka plant. 8 workers rescued, 1 unaccounted. Fire at least at 120m2 in engine room

Yokel

LE
Is there a deliberate policy of acting dangerously at sea as well as in the air?

Russian and US warships almost collide in Arabian Sea

The US Navy said a Russian navy ship "aggressively approached" its destroyer in the Arabian Sea on Thursday while it was conducting routine operations.

The USS Farragut gave five warning blasts on its horn before the Russian warship changed course, avoiding collision.

The Russian Defence ministry has denied any wrongdoing, stating it was the US Navy that was "grossly in violation of international rules".

"The crew of the Russian warship acted professionally, performing a manoeuvre that prevented a collision with the intruder ship," the ministry's statement said.

Is there a deliberate policy of acting dangerously at sea as well as in the air?
It would be interesting to know the truth of this. Obviously, we've been brought up for many decades to believe US good, Russia bad but the US Navy hasn't exactly excelled in seamanship of late.

Did the Russian move too close or did the US ship impede the Russian?

Yokel

LE
I just wondered if the Russians are acting the same as they do in UK/European airspace...... Anyway what does the phrase 'shore up' suggest to you?

Russia to shore up its Navy

In particular, Putin got himself acquainted with the development of the ships for the Arctic, green- and blue-water corvettes, littoral ships, and minesweepers, a logistic support system, and hybrid engine-powered vertical take-off and landing piloted shipborne aircraft.

What - no helicopters?

Yokel

LE
More on the new Russian helicopter carriers

The vessels are to be 25,000 tons and have a length of about 220 meters, Izvestia reported. They should be able to carry over 20 helicopters.

Is this the largest ship that a Russian yard can construct? Also is Moscow hoping to put some sort of 'VTOL fighter' (shades of Yak 38 Forger) aboard - see my tongue in check comment above.

More on the new Russian helicopter carriers

The vessels are to be 25,000 tons and have a length of about 220 meters, Izvestia reported. They should be able to carry over 20 helicopters.

Is this the largest ship that a Russian yard can construct? Also is Moscow hoping to put some sort of 'VTOL fighter' (shades of Yak 38 Forger) aboard - see my tongue in check comment above.
They (Russians) certainly messed up when the French cancelled the delivery of brand new Mistral class ships (~22t) because of the Russian actions in Ukraine. Would've been a big improvement.

Yokel

LE
I did wonder why Russia was ordering warships from France anyway - given they are meant to be an industrial superpower? I know that some of the largest shipyards in the USSR days where Ukrainian ones, and their custom is no longer welcome, but there must be some big yards in Russia?

Would they be capable of the project management and integration expertise need to integrate sections of ship built at different yards?

I did wonder why Russia was ordering warships from France anyway - given they are meant to be an industrial superpower? I know that some of the largest shipyards in the USSR days where Ukrainian ones, and their custom is no longer welcome, but there must be some big yards in Russia?

Would they be capable of the project management and integration expertise need to integrate sections of ship built at different yards?
The French contract was intended to modernise the shipbuilding industry in Russia and introduce newer and more efficient methods.

from the French ??
The French, believe or not, are surprisingly good at that stuff these days...they supply CAD/ Design/ Project management tools to pretty much most Auto/ Aircraft manufacturers around the world. I have no clue about the naval side of things.

Yokel

LE
The French, believe or not, are surprisingly good at that stuff these days...they supply CAD/ Design/ Project management tools to pretty much most Auto/ Aircraft manufacturers around the world. I have no clue about the naval side of things.
Surely they are export controls for that sort of thing?

Anyway - French partnership does not seem to be working so well in Australia.

Auditors also revealed the government's handpicked shipbuilding advisory board had urged the Defence Department to consider jettisoning its deal with the submarine's French designer, Naval Group, and find a new builder because negotiations had turned so toxic.

But despite the problems, Defence said construction of the submarines was still on track to begin in Adelaide in 2023, as well as meeting the delivery date.

The Australian National Audit Office report, tabled in Parliament on Tuesday, confirms recent media reports of tensions between Naval Group and the Commonwealth. Delays and skipped deadlines have bedevilled the $50 billion project.

I did wonder why Russia was ordering warships from France anyway - given they are meant to be an industrial superpower
Russia’s economy is about the size of Spain’s, but far less efficient, if you can imagine that.

Yokel

LE
Russia’s economy is about the size of Spain’s, but far less efficient, if you can imagine that.
How much larger is the Russian population than Spain's? Not so many years are the Russians seemed to be rolling in oil and gas money.

Geography is also not on the side of Russian shipbuilding, as most of their border is land, and many coastal areas of the USSR not only split off from Moscow, but are less than friendly towards them. Russia does not have much of a European coast.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Why do Russian naval deployments routinely include tugs? This one did as the RN shadowed it.

Three Navy ships and two helicopters were involved in keeping a close watch four Russian vessels as they made their way up the Channel and into the North Sea.

Plymouth-based frigate HMS Sutherland led the Royal Navy effort to monitor the force – RFS Marshall Ustinov, a Slava-class cruiser, RFS Admiral Kulakov a Udaloy-class destroyer and their support vessels Sliva, an ocean-going tug and tanker Vyazma – as the group sailed up from the Bay of Biscay having completed a deployment to the eastern Mediterranean.

As well as Sutherland and her Merlin helicopter from 814 Naval Air Squadron at Culdrose in Cornwall, patrol vessel HMS Mersey, tanker RFA Tideforce, and a Wildcat helicopter from 815 Naval Air Squadron at Yeovilton ensured the Russian force was continuously observed as it sailed through UK waters.

Latest Threads