Russian Navy manages to sink the only floating dry dock that can repair their carrier...

jim30

LE
Comrades

IN the glorious battle between good patriotic cathedral spotting Russians and the evil of the western imperialist floating 'dry' dock, I am delighted to report victory. We have managed to sink the evil dry dock by parking our mighty aircraft carrier inside it. I am also delighted to report that trials of our newest aviation capability known as 'cranes' has been succesfully completed. Unlike the foolish West, our carriers clearly have cranes (not planes) on their flight deck. In unrelated news, several unpatriotic clearly non catherdral spotting types are enjoying an all expenses paid holiday to count trees in Siberia for the next 20 years.

Aircraft carrier is damaged as dry dock sinks

https://master.elementdev.io

I always thought that dry docks were supposed to 'sink', allow the ship needing repair to enter, before 'unsinking'. I'm sure I've missed something.

endure

GCM
I always thought that dry docks were supposed to 'sink', allow the ship needing repair to enter, before 'unsinking'. I'm sure I've missed something.

They fill the dry dock with water, run the ship into it so it's sitting on blocks then pump the water out. The drydock doesn't sink.

Russia's only aircraft carrier damaged after floating dock sinks | Reuters
Criminal investigation ongoing. One still reported as missing, four others being treated for hypothermia:
Maria Kovtun, Murmansk’s governor, said in a statement that a rescue operation had been launched and 71 people evacuated after the floating dock holding the ship had begun to sink.

The warship had been successfully extracted from the dock before it completely sank, she said.

Investigators, who said they had opened a criminal investigation into the incident that would look at whether safety rules had been violated, said one person was missing and four others were being treated for hypothermia after being plucked out of the water.
Hull and deck of the Kuznetsov are damaged apparently, although 'vitally important parts had not been harmed':
Alexei Rakhmanov, head of Russia’s United Shipbuilding Corporation, told the TASS news agency that the ship’s hull and deck had been damaged, although what he called the vessel’s vitally important parts had not been harmed.

Yevgeny Gladyshev, a spokesman for the shipbuilding factory which operated the floating dock, told the RIA news agency that unspecified equipment had been damaged but that much of the deck had been spared because it had been removed during repairs.

The floating dock had been hit by a power outage which had caused its water tanks to fill up rapidly, prompting it to sink, the factory said.

Silence!

The dock did not sink!
This is new top secret Russian super submersible undwater wet dock!

They fill the dry dock with water, run the ship into it so it's sitting on blocks then pump the water out. The drydock doesn't sink.

I think you missed the 'floating' in the description of this particular dry dock.

20_big.jpg

I wonder how much vodka/anti-freeze consumption was involved. It's a given that the blokes were pissed to some degree, what with them being Russian, it's just a matter of how exactly how pissed. "Dry-dock sinking pissed" presumably.

Yokel

LE
I wonder why the power failed? ;)
At a guess - NATO stole the electrons. Or perhaps Gays did?

Surely floating dry docks are not normally used for surface ships so why does the Russian carrier need one? Does this tell us anything about the state of Russian ship building and repair?

Last edited:
Reporters who spoke to a bystander dressed in a purple cloak and hood reported a distinct smell of sulphur in the air.

At a guess - NATO stole the electrons. Or perhaps Gays did?

Surely floating fry docks are not normally used for surface ships so why does the Russian carrier need one? Does this tell us anything about the state of Russian ship building and repair?
Obviously foreign gays, what with there being no gays in Russia. Apart from Vlad and his "friend"...

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
It was an evil capitalist plot. We pioneered the method as long ago as 1944.

HMS Valiant (1914) - Wikipedia
On 8 August 1944, she was severely damaged in an accident with the floating drydock at Trincomalee, Ceylon. The drydock was being raised with Valiant in it by pumping water from ballast tanks. The tanks were emptied in the wrong sequence for Valiant's weight distribution, which was exacerbated by her full munitions load. As a result, the drydock was over-stressed at its ends, broke its back and sank. Valiant's two inner screws were jammed as well as one of her rudders. Valiant had remained in steam and was able to avoid worse damage or sinking. After the incident, the responsible Naval Constructor was disciplined.
It is a measure of evil capitalist cunning that we waited this long to exploit this knowledge.

Wordsmith

Latest Threads