• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Russian maps

Soviet-era mapping of the UK was very detailed. I remember seeing a map of the area where I grew up - they had even noted down the local names of places alongside their official ones so they'd done a lot of research!

Met a Soviet Naval Infantry officer in Bosnia who rattled off the names of every major power station in Scotland during a discussion on "Isn't it wierd that we're working together..." He'd done his recce as a "truck driver" in the 1980s.

Met a Soviet Naval Infantry officer in Bosnia who rattled off the names of every major power station in Scotland during a discussion on "Isn't it wierd that we're working together..." He'd done his recce as a "truck driver" in the 1980s.
Every truck west of the IGB with a 'CZ' on it was driven by some officer/tank cmdr on a recce!

As well as on the ground recces, you can be sure that every single map and atlas available on the market was bought and sent back to the Motherland. I wouldn't mind betting that many, many commie party members helpfully answered specific questions too. Maybe even lefty councils obliged with useful info, which on it's own could have been harmless enough. But helped to construct the bigger picture when collated.

When you consider that the Soviet Embassy in London,could get virtually any map of the UK,just by 'going shopping',it's not surprising.

Also the openess of the British Media,makes it even easier to get this kind of detail about Military targets in the UK.

It's telling that,the East German forces had better mapping of the DDR,than the Sovs did,and we had more detailed maps than either of them! ;P

Remember "our"maps of Germany in the 80ies with all the RAF bases "missing" from them .:)

Like the Russians had no idea what those flying things were?

Just checked a small section of the Manchester map,,it's full of mistakes,,,,Why not do what the Germans did in 37 and buy guide books and AtoZ's????,,,The map on the left is a section of the Russian map,the one on the right is the 1960 AtoZ of the same area,,Spot the errors......

Attachments

There's little point in quibbling over minor details. It was a huge project they did and done well enough to be more than adequate for it's job. Credit to them for an intell coup. I would like to hope that we had something similar by way of intell about the soviets.

Cheers. Wasn't sure in case it was for similar reasons about taking cores on the Normandy beaches. As a side note I remember seeing large scale air maps of certain eastern euro countries in a large map store in the late 90's

Latest Threads