'Russian-made' missile explodes into fireball in Cyprus near capital city

Slightly comedic as if it had tw@tted some poor bugger odds are high it would have landed on a Russian on holiday . Last time I was there a couple of years back I heard more Russian that anything else added up, including Greek.
Quite popular base for Russian companies too.
Quite a few Eastern Europeans working over there as well as holidaying. Surprisingly quite a few Israelies too.

You insinuated it was one sided.

S-200 has a self destruct, may be better training on the part of the Syrians would stop any possible accidents from out of control missiles.

If the command vans a smoking hole in the ground.....

I never said they didn't, but no rational person can think the Syrians don't have the right to poop off a few missiles and the IAF need to consider the reactions to avoid any tragedies.
The Israeli’s are attacking Iranian supplies to Hz. Nobody says Syria can’t defend itself (albeit the Israeli’s wouldn’t be in Syria if they stopped Iranian supplies to Hezbollah), but what they do is fling loads of SAMs into the air in the hope of hitting something.

It has hit something twice. Once an Israeli F16 which crashed in Israel. Once a Russian Il-20, which Russia blamed on Israel rather than Syria: Russia blames Israel after plane shot down

The Israeli’s are attacking Iranian supplies to Hz. Nobody says Syria can’t defend itself (albeit the Israeli’s wouldn’t be in Syria if they stopped Iranian supplies to Hezbollah), but what they do is fling loads of SAMs into the air in the hope of hitting something.

It has hit something twice. Once an Israeli F16 which crashed in Israel. Once a Russian Il-20, which Russia blamed on Israel rather than Syria: Russia blames Israel after plane shot down
Would you prefer our enemies to shoot them off one at a time and keep their AWR/Tracking radars switched on throughout an engagement ? Alternatively, the IAF ECCM/Jamming might also have had an involvement.

None of which matters, my entire point was presumably the IAF flew into or very close to Cypriot Air Space then swung east to Turkey/Syria and that approach should be reconsidered if our opponents are barrage firing missiles and act with a measure of caution.

S-200 has a self destruct, may be better training on the part of the Syrians would stop any possible accidents from out of control missiles.
Agreed, even the K115 (Milan AT Missile) had a Kill-Switch (I know because I had to use it once).

None of which matters, my entire point was presumably the IAF flew into or very close to Cypriot Air Space then swung east to Turkey/Syria and that approach should be reconsidered if our opponents are barrage firing missiles and act with a measure of caution.
I bet the RAF wallers on stag in Troodos slept through the whole event...

Would you prefer our enemies to shoot them off one at a time and keep their AWR/Tracking radars switched on throughout an engagement ? Alternatively, the IAF ECCM/Jamming might also have had an involvement.
I'd prefer it if the Syrians actually used kit the way it is meant to be used and properly target stuff rather than flinging it into the air in the vain hope of hitting something.
None of which matters,
It does, flinging kit willy nilly means accidents like the Il-20 happen
.... my entire point was presumably the IAF flew into or very close to Cypriot Air Space then swung east to Turkey/Syria and that approach should be reconsidered if our opponents are barrage firing missiles and act with a measure of caution.
You'd rather they presented a better target picture then? Okay ..... None of this would be happening if Assad's govt stopped letting Iran supply Hezbollah

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
presumably the IAF flew into or very close to Cypriot Air Space
Or crossed a vector between launch site and Cyprus very close to the launch site. After missing, the SAM had a long flight in a straight line.

Or crossed a vector between launch site and Cyprus very close to the launch site. After missing, the SAM had a long flight in a straight line.
Exactly.. Also the vector is a known one and presumably any radar picture is affected by having a dirty great island towering out of the water. Its interesting no self destruct feature was exercised and makes one wonder if something jammed the missile making it entirely rogue.

FYI Scalie: I don't live in a perfect world and if you want utopia, then best not discuss the quality of mortar/artillery ammunition, or pretty much any ordnance going awry for tediously boring technical reasons.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Its interesting no self destruct feature was exercised and makes one wonder if something jammed the missile making it entirely rogue.
Or the second rate missile's self destruct failed

Exactly.. Also the vector is a known one and presumably any radar picture is affected by having a dirty great island towering out of the water. Its interesting no self destruct feature was exercised and makes one wonder if something jammed the missile making it entirely rogue.
Planes transiting international airspace. Well I never :rolleyes:
FYI Scalie: I don't live in a perfect world and if you want utopia, then best not discuss the quality of mortar/artillery ammunition, or pretty much any ordnance going awry for tediously boring technical reasons.
Ordnance goes awry all of the time. The more you fling into the air, the more chance there is of the ordnance not doing what’s on the tin. Failure rates etc.

I’ve no idea if the ‘self destruct’ was jammed or whether the control unit was destroyed or any other number of factors such as new guidance on the old missiles is affecting them etc.

The point is, if they fling enough in the air, mistakes will happen such as shooting down Russian aircraft or in this case ordnance landing in N Cyprus. Luckily in this case nobody was killed unlike the Il-20.

Planes transiting international airspace. Well I never :rolleyes:

Ordnance goes awry all of the time. The more you fling into the air, the more chance there is of the ordnance not doing what’s on the tin. Failure rates etc.

I’ve no idea if the ‘self destruct’ was jammed or whether the control unit was destroyed or any other number of factors such as new guidance on the old missiles is affecting them etc.

The point is, if they fling enough in the air, mistakes will happen such as shooting down Russian aircraft or in this case ordnance landing in N Cyprus. Luckily in this case nobody was killed unlike the Il-20.
What you are doing is arguing as usual, on simple minded good/evil points of order and its all very noble.

I am discussing a less sophisticated opponent who are firing off old missiles from a system out of warranty and like a AAA Gun from GW1 or whatever, they are designed around the concept of throwing more into the air, for the very reason that it increases a kill %.

We were always told 1/3rd of all ordnance does not function either by a fault (dodgy fusing, faulty electronics) or design (long delay, anti-disturbance)

Latest Threads