Russian Linguist Help.

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Boumer, May 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Er, rummaging about in the cupboard I found an old poster I had bought.

I bought it when I was with a girl who was a Russian speaker, but I cannot remember what the translation was. When we went our seperate ways, this went into the TARDIS that is my cupboard.

Sadly, I cannot call upon my ex-girlfriend's assistance to translate.

I wonder if any members of this august forum could help with the translation, before I put it up and find it is either subversive or obscene!

Attached Files:

2. your ex had a sense of humour, the poster says boumer had a little willy.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Glory to the defenders of the Soviet homeland. (It actually says defender in the singular, so it may be a reference to, eg, the Army.)

Edit. I started off well, then fluffed it (not for the first time). Better linguists have put me right.

4. It was cold where we lived.

She said it was a good size too.

Anyway, after learning Arabic I divorced her traditional style by stoning her.

Thanks Brotherton Lad, I like a little bit of colour to the office.

As long as it's red...

5. My one word of Russian: Spasiba (afraid I cannot do anything with Cyrillic).

Much appreciated.

6. Brotherton Lad

Nichts zu danken. It is the badge of the Soviet Army in front of the badge of the Soviet Union.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Truly every day is a school day!

8. A bit quiet in here, No wi fi in the Cigar Lounge Gladys?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. He will be along soon I am sure. Even in Business class, in flight communications can be limited at times.

10. Sounds good but if we let Gladys translate he feels indebted to us for making him feel he still has something to offer. He is deluded of course but, hey, one has to help where one can.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Lost. Who the **** is Gladys? I know I live in the Czech Republic but have I lost touch that much?

12. 'Who the **** is Gladys?'. I think you will find the lyric is 'Who the **** is Alice'. Derived from the song, Living next door to Alice, released in the 1970's.

13. <arriving, out of breath, hot from a long and fascinating conversation about high-endurance UAVs> - "Glory to the Defenders of the Soviet Motherland". It is actually plural, as I'm sure folk remember - dative plural is -am/-yam.

Next John Barry Lounge deployment is likely to be around 25/26 May - any little subs likely to be running around at the time?

14. Brotherton Lad

Yes, you're right. I'm more than a little rusty. Motherland is also a better translation than homeland.

• Like Like x 1