• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Russian "Justice"

He went up against Vlad Putin, aka the Dark Tsar; he's lucky he's not melting into a glowing puddle inside a lead-lined coffin.
So true. There is a funny series of pictures of the Jedi Knight from Moscow and our Master (you do know He is a Nobel Laureate?) going around here that makes that comparison quite well.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
To be honest coming from a country with a 1000 year old regime (admittedly with numerous changes of BoD within the Firm and a small break for a Lord Protector whose presence remains only via the Lifeguards and Coldstreams I believe?), it makes me wonder what our political twonks think they're up to. Not just the last lot, but I hear it reported that Thatcher wasn't the most respectful either.

If only we lived in a country where the political leader was ex military intelligence and a fully signed up member of the party (our equivalent would be the Firm/firm/office/mob) we'd have a lot less problems. Certainly better that nouveau bourgeois (social, political or fiscal) telling us all what's good for us...

To be honest coming from a country with a 1000 year old regime (admittedly with numerous changes of BoD within the Firm and a small break for a Lord Protector whose presence remains only via the Lifeguards and Coldstreams I believe?), it makes me wonder what our political twonks think they're up to. Not just the last lot, but I hear it reported that Thatcher wasn't the most respectful either.

If only we lived in a country where the political leader was ex military intelligence and a fully signed up member of the party (our equivalent would be the Firm/firm/office/mob) we'd have a lot less problems. Certainly better that nouveau bourgeois (social, political or fiscal) telling us all what's good for us...
I should think there are a few other possibilities that would be better than either of the extremes you suggest.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Good. Perhaps you can play with such possibilities over there in the new world. Perhaps we can export people like Tony and Margaret over to you (as the US seems so fond of them) to sip orange juice in Florida; job done!

Good. Perhaps you can play with such possibilities over there in the new world. Perhaps we can export people like Tony and Margaret over to you (as the US seems so fond of them) to sip orange juice in Florida; job done!
Many thanks for the kind offer. It is the fervent hope of a growing number of us that we can find our own who will begin to return us to a more positive path after the 2012 election. We are skeptical but hopeful.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Many thanks for the kind offer. It is the fervent hope of a growing number of us that we can find our own who will begin to return us to a more positive path after the 2012 election. We are skeptical but hopeful.
Oh I wasn't suggesting they do any politics. Go on, you've got loads of space over there. We could easily get rid of say at least 20 million. We'll only send you the ones with some money who really really love america, you know Bloomingdales, Disney etc; weekend trips to become a way of life! Pledge of allegiance and you're good to go.

Oh I wasn't suggesting they do any politics. Go on, you've got loads of space over there. We could easily get rid of say at least 20 million. We'll only send you the ones with some money who really really love america, you know Bloomingdales, Disney etc; weekend trips to become a way of life! Pledge of allegiance and you're good to go.
If they are white and have any education they will have to form up at tbe end of the queue.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
That's a shame as that was exactly the kind of 'brain' drain we require, we'll throw in a few 'educated' from other ethnicities if you're prepared to deal?

Putin--one devious,hard,cold ,dark, murderous looking bassa.---which as as ex KGB would be expected.--Could be a character from Bond film.
Life imitates art?--Reckon the Bond film senarios will eventually come to fruit.Guaranteed nukes of some sort will bang in western cities in next 10-20 years.(with relevance to Bond senario---not Putin)-and the country /west is full of fifth collumists.

Off topic?(pissed)

Scary bugger

Safer off with Yeltsin(pissed like me)

Putin--one devious,hard,cold ,dark, murderous looking bassa.---which as as ex KGB would be expected.--Could be a character from Bond film.
Life imitates art?--Reckon the Bond film senarios will eventually come to fruit.Guaranteed nukes of some sort will bang in western cities in next 10-20 years.(with relevance to Bond senario---not Putin)-and the country /west is full of fifth collumists.

Off topic?(pissed)

Scary bugger

Safer off with Yeltsin(pissed like me)
You still have pretty good insight in my opinion!

Go and see what Kenneth Dart has to say about Khodorkovsky. He was the biggest crook out - diluting shareholders' stakes in Yukos, and dragging them through the courts to stop them getting their property back. The mayor of Nizhnevartovsk stood up to him and ended up dead. He's an utter scumbag. His final mistake was to tell Putin to go and f*ck off, when Putin gave him the best offer you could ever hope to get - shut up, stay out of politics, pay your taxes and you get to keep the multibillion dollar businesses you stole for got given for free.
Of course, Putin and his boys are just as bad, and the only real reason he's in there is for standing up to Putin, not for his economic crimes. But that doesn't mean he's not a crook - he's just a crook who was stupid enough to forget that he couldn't walk on water, when other people in Russia could see which way the wind was blowing and kept their heads down.
If Russia's opposition has to pin their hopes on people like this, God help them. The man was a reckless, power mad chancer. Best leave him in the slammer.

Maybe the chap IS actually guilty. (Again!)

All Putin said on the news was something along the lines of 'thieves should be in prison' nowt wrong with that - Could do with some big onioned politicians over here.

Go and see what Kenneth Dart has to say about Khodorkovsky. He was the biggest crook out - diluting shareholders' stakes in Yukos, and dragging them through the courts to stop them getting their property back. The mayor of Nizhnevartovsk stood up to him and ended up dead. He's an utter scumbag. His final mistake was to tell Putin to go and f*ck off, when Putin gave him the best offer you could ever hope to get - shut up, stay out of politics, pay your taxes and you get to keep the multibillion dollar businesses you stole for got given for free.
Of course, Putin and his boys are just as bad, and the only real reason he's in there is for standing up to Putin, not for his economic crimes. But that doesn't mean he's not a crook - he's just a crook who was stupid enough to forget that he couldn't walk on water, when other people in Russia could see which way the wind was blowing and kept their heads down.
If Russia's opposition has to pin their hopes on people like this, God help them. The man was a reckless, power mad chancer. Best leave him in the slammer.
I really could care less about the felow if what I have read about him iseven partially true. It is the rigged show trial etc. that reflects the same Politburo/KGB approach that means the Cold War never ended but merely moved to a new phase.

And yet our Masters apparently are willoing to sacrifice our security for some good political propaganda in time for the holidays. They are all cut from the same totalitarian cloth.

Its just their current leader is more muscular than ours at present.

I really could care less about the felow if what I have read about him iseven partially true. It is the rigged show trial etc. that reflects the same Politburo/KGB approach that means the Cold War never ended but merely moved to a new phase.

And yet our Masters apparently are willoing to sacrifice our security for some good political propaganda in time for the holidays. They are all cut from the same totalitarian cloth.

Its just their current leader is more muscular than ours at present.
Having enough nuclear weaponry left to make the whole planet glow a nice light green twice (or thrice) over isn't enough security?

Having enough nuclear weaponry left to make the whole planet glow a nice light green twice (or thrice) over isn't enough security?
You apparently have missed a key issue of the treaty in your no doubt extensive research before your thoughtful post. Specifically, it is the expectation of the Russians that the preambular language is operative to limit the US developing strategic nuclear defense.

As I am sure you are aware, this is of even more concern due to the very probable intermediate range nuclear missile capabilities of NK and Iran within the next few years if not already. Even worse, reports last week indicate transfer of this technology to Chavez's Venezuela that would bring a substantial part of the US in range.

I am confident you can connect these dots to understand that with such nuclear threats ( and the ever present threat of AQ or some other non-state terrorist actor), the traditional "mutual assured destruction" deterrent value of offensive nuclear capability to which your wryly allude is of marginal, if any, real security value.

Thus, an effective defense capability is even more vital. That our current Masters already caved in to sovie...erm, Russian pressure right after coming into power by stabbing Poland and the Czech Republic in the back has already given the Russians every reason the think they can use this treaty to continue their successful effort to prevent our developing a strategic missle defense.

My additional point, since you appear to have missed it also, is the continuing chicanery and manipulation of our Constitutional system to achieve short term political ends. As many pundits and "experts" on our federal government functioning within the Constitutional framework have already noted, this treaty was rushed through the legislative oversight process to give our Master the needed headline of "restored power" before the holiday recess.

The "advise and consent" requirement of the Constitution that was very purposely included by our founders to ensure the nation did not bind itself to a treaty negotiated by the Executive Branch in secret unless it truly benefited the nation. This process has usually involved public hearings of all committees having jurisdiction over the matters covered by the treaty and then full open debate on the Senate floor with time for the people to express their views to their Senators.

Even our Masters have conceded this was not done. As we are coming to see, They will routinely use various "crises" and "emergencies" or other reasons for abrogating the intended deliberative process enshrined in the Constitution.

Latest Threads