Russian BEAR overflies the channel

Ritch

LE
Yes, I've searched.

The Russian Ambassador has been summoned to explain why they did it.

A one-off or will there be more similar? Is it Putin's idea of a Show of Force overflight during the Litvinenko enquiry?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...th-RAF-jets-scramble-intercept-intruders.html

It won't be a one off. Bear's and Blackjacks are being intercepted all over the place, especially near the Baltic states for obvious reasons. Just a desperate show of 'force'.

A Russian bear? Was he off to spend a night with Putin?

It would appear that the bomber belongs to the BBC. Typical waste of licence fee.

And if that is an RAF fighter then I am a Dutchman Swede, Norwegian or something (other Scandiwegians are available).

Edited to add: I suppose it probably is Crab Air.

Last edited:

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
The typhoons came from Scotland and Norfolk, not far for a fast jet, but are there not any airfields closer?

D

Deleted 60082

It won't be a one off. Bear's and Blackjacks are being intercepted all over the place, especially near the Baltic states for obvious reasons. Just a desperate show of 'force'.
The Bear belonging to whom? Apostrophe Police are about!

T

Tinman74

English Channel you say? I hazard a guess that it could have been intercepted much earlier, was tracked much earlier. Many possible allies could and would have
Should have shot it down and blamed the French.

As if they could shoot anything down. now if your speaking about the Luftwaffe that would be credible.

Is this an appropriate time for someone to start telling us why the RAF is no longer required, after all, it's not as though there are any Russian aircraft to go and intercept anymore are there? Oh, hang on, perhaps the 100 year experiment isn't over after all!

Conningsby in Lincolnshire would be the furthest south for the mighty 'phoons these days I'm afraid. Not sure why someone mentioned Norfolk. Marham has Tonka GR4's these days.

Is this an appropriate time for someone to start telling us why the RAF is no longer required, after all, it's not as though there are any Russian aircraft to go and intercept anymore are there? Oh, hang on, perhaps the 100 year experiment isn't over after all!
We need the RAF to wave at Russian pilots. The loss of the RAF would damage the vital role the armed forces play in waving at Russian pilots, and represents a significant threat to the success of future operations.

.... Somebody's got to ask and I suppose it must be about my turn by now.

Why does it say BBC on the tail of that bear?

D

Deleted 60082

Военно-воздушные cилы России, translated as:Voyenno-Vozdushnye Sily Rossii

Beat me to it. Or should that Veet me to it?

Latest Threads