Russian battlefield archeology photos

Fascinating glimpse into time stood still. Recent excavation photos from the eastern front.

Photos suggest a 2004 dig- some of the bones appear to have been still exposed.

It just goes to show that the players may change but the game remains the same.

Its not really battlefield archaeology - more like a strip-mining operation designed to turn up German relics for the international militaria market. Frequently the bones are just dumped back in the holes or abandoned, after anything saleable has been looted. Whilst this business started out by a few enthusiast "digger" groups, its become yet another earner for organised crime....

Its not really battlefield archaeology - more like a strip-mining operation designed to turn up German relics for the international militaria market. Frequently the bones are just dumped back in the holes or abandoned, after anything saleable has been looted. Whilst this business started out by a few enthusiast "digger" groups, its become yet another earner for organised crime....

Any links/further information on this? I had never heard about it, although it would explain the great swathes of WWII relics turning up in Bulgaria in 2003-2006. I always wondered how, considering that there was very little fighting there, so many relics appeared. Bulgaria being one of the best trafficking points for artefact smuggling, I can see how it would all add together.

Of course you could argue that any preservation of history is better than letting it disintegrate in the ground, whoever digs it up.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Makes you wander how many more millions of bodies are lying around out there undiscovered and long forgetten
at least twenty million in the former SU, if the figures from Stalin's reign are at all accurate...

Makes you wander how many more millions of bodies are lying around out there undiscovered and long forgetten
A few years ago, a body was found in Arnhem, underneath the body was found a local supermarket carrier bag, Some twattt had cleaned the body of everything collectable or a means of identifying (though i think he as by dental records)

Which is why its now jailable to be found with a metal detector, cnuts just loot the dead, and leave them.

Pictures on arrse somehwere i think of the skeletons of Germans lying about, outside of Stalingrad, no attempt to rebury,just left.

Pictures on arrse somehwere i think of the skeletons of Germans lying about, outside of Stalingrad, no attempt to rebury,just left.
anyone have that link?

Researching the web I have also found out that it is not that uncommon for various war debris to still be laying about in russia. For instance this is supposed to be a WWI crash site (anyone identify the plane?);

source: English Russia » Old Crash Site

Bit ghoulish looking at exposed bones of the fallen, irrespective of who they fought for.

The Stalingrad battlefield, is not in a deep and forbidding woods, miles from the nearest city. That battlefield is in and
around a major city. It is the Stalingrad, aka Volgagrad, battlefield stretches for tens of miles along the Volga and Don
Rivers.
In the early 1990s, Walter Seledec of the Austrian Television Network visited Volgagrad/Stalingrad to see where the fifty
thousand Austrian members of the destroyed German 6th Army had died and were buried. It is a place where the grass
didn't grow for a year after the battle; where run-offs after the winter thaw, for over a year after the battle, were still pink
with the blood of the dead.
Until 1989, the Stalingrad battlefield and hundreds more World War II battlefields within the Soviet Union had been
deemed "sensitive areas," closed to foreign visitors. Sedelec was there visiting In 190-81. He stood where the, "...contours
of former trenches and dirt bunkers (are) still recognizable."
Seledec drove an hour across the battlefield to a site near the town of Peschanka. In shock he stopped his car and got
out. There he was astounded to see that, "...the balki, the gullies and slopes of the steppes, were littered with sun-
bleached bones."
Walter Seledec described the horror: "There you are, standing beside an open field, and you are confronted with things
you cannot believe, things you have never seen in your life, things you would not think possible in this day and age.
There in the open fields, all the way to the horizon, are the skeletons of human beings, just lying there in the open fields.
I dont mean a few. There are hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands...Human remains lying in the fields. Human
skeletons as far as the eye can see."
The many photographs that Seledec took have preserved the horror for all time. In those photographs, "...(to) the distant
horizon...(the) surface is littered with the remains of human skeletons--arms, legs, pelvic bones, skulls, an occasional rib...
large piles of bones...fragments, shell cases, and an undetonated projectile; a rusted machine gun; a battered metal
container...Skulls...hundreds of them, thousands of them, Just lying around out there in the open fields...Skulls lie in
helmets, decayed bones still stand in boots, on the spines hang the identity tags...No cross. No wreath. This unknown
soldier never made it into a mass grave. Today, he lies on the steppe outside Volgograd exactly as he fell fifty years ago.
His shirt and uniform buttons still lie between his ribs." Such scenes and media coverage caused a furor in Europe.
Documentatries were made of the bone fields and articles were written in every major European magazine and newspaper.

In the United States and Germany, however, a news black out has been maintained regarding the unburied Red Army
dead. The controlled media in those two leftist media states instituted that news blackout for political reasons. They didn't
want to sully the Russians with the truth, as has been their policy for fifty years! America's governing media elite remains
loyal to the Soviet's reputation!
But many questions were asked. First and foremost: Who were those thousands of corpses? They were Soviets, Red
Army men, Russians, the countrymen of the nation who ignored their remains.
Millions of Red Army bones bleached in the sun...but where were the German corpses? Ironically, most of the German
dead have been buried in mass graves and military cemeteries, ("...carefully tended cemeteries with individual plots in
orderly rows, each marked with an iron grave post, a wooden cross..."). Except for the fact that the Red Army has
bulldozed most German graveyards.”
German WWII soldiers get proper burial after 60 years - World - theage.com.au

Grave Robbing Bastards, even stealing from thier own dead not just the Germans.

The link that I have just sent might suggest that the soldiers might have been Russians as there were Russian books found with them.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
........ Almost all the territory of Western Russia was a battlefield so if you ever go to Russia you don’t need to pay a visit to an antique store, you can start digging at any place and get your part of loot.
Seems they don't make any secret of it
Given the way Stalin treated his troops I should imagine Russians were left were they fell also or just bull dozed into mass graves with the Germans
In some of the places there is proboably no love lost for the soldiers of either side

Perhaps one day a robbing ****** will jump to hard on a spade and set something off