Russian battlefield archeology photos

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by rogue_trader, Dec 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fascinating glimpse into time stood still. Recent excavation photos from the eastern front.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Photos suggest a 2004 dig- some of the bones appear to have been still exposed.

It just goes to show that the players may change but the game remains the same.

2. Its not really battlefield archaeology - more like a strip-mining operation designed to turn up German relics for the international militaria market. Frequently the bones are just dumped back in the holes or abandoned, after anything saleable has been looted. Whilst this business started out by a few enthusiast "digger" groups, its become yet another earner for organised crime....

3. What would the item be in the photo second from last, the one shaped like a hip flask?

4. Any links/further information on this? I had never heard about it, although it would explain the great swathes of WWII relics turning up in Bulgaria in 2003-2006. I always wondered how, considering that there was very little fighting there, so many relics appeared. Bulgaria being one of the best trafficking points for artefact smuggling, I can see how it would all add together.

Of course you could argue that any preservation of history is better than letting it disintegrate in the ground, whoever digs it up.

5. A torch....

6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

And you wonder why an awful lot of country's make it difficult or near impossible to legally use a metal detector!

7. Makes you wander how many more millions of bodies are lying around out there undiscovered and long forgetten

8. Long may they rest in peace without some grave robber disturbing them..

9. Agreed; it's just a shame that many of the countries in Eastern Europe don't have the cash, resources or inclination to go after grave-robbers.

10. Ta, much.....

11. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

at least twenty million in the former SU, if the figures from Stalin's reign are at all accurate...

12. A few years ago, a body was found in Arnhem, underneath the body was found a local supermarket carrier bag, Some twattt had cleaned the body of everything collectable or a means of identifying (though i think he as by dental records)

Which is why its now jailable to be found with a metal detector, cnuts just loot the dead, and leave them.

Pictures on arrse somehwere i think of the skeletons of Germans lying about, outside of Stalingrad, no attempt to rebury,just left.

13. anyone have that link?

Researching the web I have also found out that it is not that uncommon for various war debris to still be laying about in russia. For instance this is supposed to be a WWI crash site (anyone identify the plane?);

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

source: English Russia » Old Crash Site

14. Bit ghoulish looking at exposed bones of the fallen, irrespective of who they fought for.

German WWII soldiers get proper burial after 60 years - World - theage.com.au

15. Grave Robbing Bastards, even stealing from thier own dead not just the Germans.