Russian Atomic Powered Intercontinental Nuclear Torpedo

Here's something I hadn't heard of until recently - the Russians are fielding an intercontinental Nuclear-Powered Nuclear-Armed Autonomous Torpedo. It's second strike weapon aimed at coastal cities such as New York.

1643386908014.png

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
Yes, it’s been known for awhile (except for by me). I just found it interesting because is diverges so strongly from Western approaches to submarines and strategic weapons.

I first read about it in about 2017 and I truly hope it is never used. It sounds terrifying.

Yokel

LE
Where are all the anti nuclear protesters that should be demonstrating outside Russian embassies at the development of such a nightmarish device?

Silly me!

Vlad just loves threatening the world with his doomsday weapons. Thirty times larger than a heavyweight torpedo and moving at speed - it should be possible to detect, track, and destroy.

It throws a spanner in the negotiated settlement idea.

"Da, we will be ready to negotiate in three days or so. Anything that happens before that wasn't us."

Where are all the anti nuclear protesters that should be demonstrating outside Russian embassies at the development of such a nightmarish device?

Silly me!

Vlad just loves threatening the world with his doomsday weapons. Thirty times larger than a heavyweight torpedo and moving at speed - it should be possible to detect, track, and destroy.
Apparently it is so quiet and runs at such a depth that it is very difficult to counter with current ASW systems.

Yes, it’s been known for awhile (except for by me). I just found it interesting because it diverges so strongly from Western approaches to submarines and strategic weapons.
Without being glib, that’s because Russia isn’t the West with a silly Sean Connery accent…

Yokel

LE
Apparently it is so quiet and runs at such a depth that it is very difficult to counter with current ASW systems.

The thing is that the Russians have so much form for coming out with complete cobblers it is hard to take any of their claims too seriously. What does this say about Moscow's worldview? Why do they think they need another nuclear delivery system to go with their ICBMs and SLBMs?

Last edited:
I do find myself wondering if they have concluded that "induced bankruptcy by unrequired wonder waepon countermeasure development" is in fact a legitimate strategy.

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer
I must admit I saw the title and looked to see if it was a Maalox thread. However it does look to be a weapon that could be a game changer.
Missiles are seeable and detectable, this beast appears to be almost invisible. It could eneutralise the carrier-groups very easily.
At best it will stimulate ASW detection.
At worst Putin has an ace in the hole.

Informative, thank you.

This is where our decedent West ocean torpedo net made of plastic bags and turtles with straws up their noses comes into play.

Why have all the bad guys, got all the best stuff ?:rolleyes:
Lack of focus groups, peer reviews, lack of MOD procurement processes, not trying to make stuff to sell or partner with all the other soft countries that have the same constraints.

They’re currently away with the feminists in Kabul...

Last edited:
Lack of focus groups, peer reviews, lack of MOD procurement processes, not trying to make stuff to sell or partner with all the other soft countries that have the same constraints.
Lack of caring if they kill their own people with some fairly dodgy kit…

Imagine the ARRSE uproar if the kind of accident that result in the KURSK happened to UK forces.

Lack of caring if they kill their own people with some fairly dodgy kit…

Imagine the ARRSE uproar if the kind of accident that result in the KURSK happened to UK forces.

Bad as it would be, it would be as nothing compared with the teeth-gnashing in the Guardian et al, questioning the entire raison d’être of the RN’s submarine fleet.

I have been aboard a Sov Russian sub and a US sub of similar vintage. The Rooski one looked like a rusty metal tube, filled with rusty Steampunk technology waiting to be taken to the dump, the US one was shiny, well made and looked like it could put to sea at a moments notice - even though de-commissioned.

I'm not saying that they are not scary, and that they will not pass all the countermeasures. I would think though that if these are long term deployed on the seabed awaiting launch instruction that a few of them will do not much more than sputter a short distance - stealthily.

Latest Threads