Russian amphibious Helicopter accident

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by EX_STAB, Apr 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Maybe they let Flashy have a cabby. :D :D :D

I didn't know there were such things as amphibious helicopters anyway. Are the Ivans the only ones who have them? I remember that vid with the bods in Rigid Raiders driving straight into a Chinook while it was hovering, but that's not really amphibious is it?

2. MI-14 known as HAZE. An amphibious HIP I suppose, but a with boat hull.

It looked like it came down with a real thump, which may have compromised the hull. The other interesting thing to note is that when the a/c turned turtle you can see that the undercarriage had been lowered for some reason whilst in the water. Maybe this was what caused it to loose bouyancy/stability. The sea-state did not look that bad, but I am no helicopter pilot.

Attached Files:

• mi14.jpg
      File size:
      14.1 KB
  3. Sea King is amphibious. I think the Sea Stallion(?) (Jolly Green Giant) is/was too.

Rarely used as such though.

These guys seem to have come in at far too fast a rate resulting in heavy pitching in a sea state that looks to be on the limit for the aircraft. What he was thinking of when he nosed it forward to take off is utterly beyond me, it was clear what was going to happen. Perhaps some pilot can give us a better assessment.

Edit to add:

Ref the the gear being down, this may have caused additional drag on take off causing the hull to pitch forward rather than taxiing along. ?
  4. I've watched the vid a number of times now, EX_STAB and it looks very much to my untrained eye as if the landing gear's already down as he waters, but I could be wrong. However, would that compromise the hull too and maybe upset the balance of the aircraft for takeoff?

Maybe Flashy will rock up with the solution as to what happened.

5. Was the amphibious capability on these helicopters only meant for ditching? Or was there some tactical reason?
  6. NATO use it for ditching and emergency rescue, Sovs used it alot more tho, and train for it regulary.

I'd put that accident down to pilot error, he was transitioning forward before leaving the water., Could be due to drag from the landing gear tho!