Russia to go back to Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by British_And_Proud, Oct 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just seen it on BBC News and it seems on the front page of a paper, that Russia has agreed to go back to Afghanistan to aid NATO.

Surely that would be terrible for Hearts and Minds straight off considering how they treated
    the Afghans in the 80's.

Maybe its just media speculation, but anyway im off to work.
  2. Don't expect much. Arms supplies including helicopters, training of Afghan pilots in Russia. Why not? But any military involvement on the ground is highly unprobable.

But what is the cause of these rumours? I think that Washington tries to urge its allies to be more active in Afghanistan.

NATO's agitprop: "Look even the Russians seriously mull the possibility of military involvement. So you the Europeans must send more and more troops and receive more and more coffins."

Russian military could be drawn back into Afghanistan | World news | The Guardian

Training Afghan national security forces (=training of Russian agents). It is possible, but likely not in Afghanistan.

Co-operation on counter-narcotics. It is possible in the form of information exchange.

Border security. It is possible but rather on Tajic side of the border.

The next parliamentary elections in 2011 will not be easy for Putin & Co. So as any military involvement in Afghanistan would be highly unpopular, such a step will not be done.
  3. Could they really afford it (financially)?
  4. Indeed the Afghans are unable to pay for Russian made helicopters but our American friend paid and will pay.
  5. Perhaps it might be a veiled threat to Mr Khazi (sic) that unless he rethinks the private security issue, the wrath of Ivan will be unleashed......
  6. Mr.Khazi I believe has some bank accounts in different countries and in this case would settle somewhere in... Geneva for example.
  7. Mr Khazi? I assume Mr Karzai is meant. I know that he is a dodgy character, but I didn't think that he is a sh1thouse.

Sergei, oh ye of little faith. Everything will work out just fine in Afghanistan, so why should Karzai do a runner?
  8. Mikhail Gorbachev has just said the wisest thing on the subject of Afghanistan: GET OUT OF THE PLACE.
  9. Also saw this report this morning on the Beeb,

even with half a million troops still won't make a difference (Gorbachev's Quote)

"Victory is impossible in Afghanistan. Obama is right to pull the troops out. No matter how difficult it will be," Mr Gorbachev said in an interview with the BBC's Moscow correspondent Steve Rosenberg.

BBC News - Gorbachev: Nato victory in Afghanistan impossible
  10. No doubt, convoy routes will stream through Russia, if attacked in Russia, I dare say that they would respond efectively.

I wonder what their troop numbers would be? also imagine our guys being ferried around in Hips in joint ops?

perhaps this is Russia showing it wants to integrate more with european partners, and try to 'remove' American influence?
  11. A bit of a 'The King isn't wearing any clothes' moment?
  12. When men speak of the future, the Gods laugh.
  13. Great Ivan In.
    Tom Out.

Thank you Sergey.
  14. Interesting development.........
  15. Smells like a return to "The Great Game", Russia wants into India and fears China moving ever Westwards is causing them some ring twitching, so, Russia wants it,s toehold in Afghanistan to tell China to ease up or back off....................but hey, what do I know about history or the inscrutable Oriental.