Russia to build 2 Kalashnikov factories in Venezuela by 2010

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by KGB_resident, Aug 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070806/70445720.html

2. Great - more cheap and cheerful firearms for the US and UK's troops to get shot with. Thanks.

3. Btw, the UK could buy Venezuelan made Kalashnikovs. And our American friends could do it as well.

4. i know its Fair Trade but this takes the p***!!!!!

5. Nothing like promoting peace on the planet....

6. Fuck shooting that thing from the prone position on an APWT!

Did you see the other stuff they were selling them? Hind E's and SU-30's? Chavez is majorly refitting the Veneuzualan Armed Forces.

7. Gotta do something with all that oil money, Guess it's burning a hole in his pockets.

8. Politics aside,

We'd have a much better service rifle if we did. I never was a fan of the SA80.

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy).

9. No doubt that you have it in for the SA80, SLR... Name gives you away! I think you'll find that the AK-47 is not actually a very good weapon. Inaccurate, and as Praetorian has pointed out, rather a nuisance to shoot with in the prone position.

In reality, you want the SLR back, because you think that the SA80 is a bad rifle.

10. 8) 8) 8) You can buy petrol in Venezuela for 6 cents a litre so i am told. As the President of Venezuela hates the U.S.A. then the Russians have it all their way. What is the future in South America lots of cheaper weapons? More trouble and giving weapons to Africa? Just hope it wont happen, thank Christ they are Catholics in Venezuela not Muslims. 8) 8) 8)

11. Node wrote:thank Christ they are Catholics in Venezuela not Muslims.

But at least the South american commie terrorists and gangsters will be even more well armed now.

12. 8) Yes you are bang on hope they dont get R.P.G. 29.

13. Perhaps the Americans can buy some of them to give away in Iraq. Sorry that's already been done!

14. Ok, I've been rumbled here. HOWEVER... I do have (a little) 1st hand experience with the AK. Sure, it is not particularly accurate, but it's good to 250/300yards, which is well within the range of the average contact. As I recall, firing it prone didn't actually seem to be a problem. Btw, I have done the same with SLR plus LMG mag on field firing ranges without any dramas.

AK scores maximum points for robustness (much better than SA80) and simplicity (bolt, carrier/gas piston, return spring gas cylinder/handguard plus top cover... er and that's it!) It is also reasonably short, which makes it good for FIBUA.

Best of all, it is very, very reliable.

You are quite right: if I was still serving, I would like my SLR back though and the SA80 is not the best rifle in the workd :D

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy)

15. Fair one. That massive thread on the SLR in the Infantry forum is worth a gander. Made me draw the conclusion that, for most, it's a case of what they were weaned on. In your case, you learnt with an SLR and became (I imagine) proficient in its use, so that's your favoured weapon.