Russia thinks that it is too early for US to leave Iraq

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080422/105645967.html

There can be no question of foreign troops being withdrawn from Iraq at present, Russia's foreign minister said on Tuesday.

"Iraq's law enforcement structures are not in a position to assume complete responsibility for ensuring security in the country and to effectively counter terrorist groups," Sergei Lavrov told an international conference on Iraq in Kuwait City.

He said that although some successes had been achieved in the security sphere, the situation remained volatile.

"Positive changes are yet to be irreversible. Consider the recent fighting in Basra and Baghdad, the echo of which is still resounding [throughout the country], and the latest bomb attacks in the country's central provinces, which have claimed dozens of lives," he said.

:D :D :D

I can see it: Hmmm... Russians want us to stay in Iraq... wonder, why?.. must be up to something... Sod that, let's pack up and leave!

It's Bin Laden's idea!!! :D

Iraq being in turmoil keeps the oil and gas prices nice and high.

2009 will be the first car in the US made for highway travel that does not run on fossil fuel.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Russia better get it's money while it can cause when the US gets off oil things will be great for China - ie: Cheap Oil. lots and lots of surplus.

ghost_us said:

2009 will be the first car in the US made for highway travel that does not run on fossil fuel.

Russia better get it's money while it can cause when the US gets off oil things will be great for China - ie: Cheap Oil. lots and lots of surplus.
Please! Oil clans would part with their wealth? I can see it happen.

Domovoy said:
ghost_us said:

By oil clans I'm assuming you mean big oil like exxon, BP, etc? They would need to drastically reduce the cost of fuel. Too many people now have incentive to either invent or find alternatives.

Their days are numbered. Consumer demand drives the market, not some oil cartel.

In parts of the US it's literally impossible to stop or reduce driving without very drastic measures like moving or leaving your job. There were no alternatives. Once someone offers one, you will see a huge switch very quickly.

LISpace said:
Will Russia back this statement up with an offer of troops or other assistance? Or is this just (another) lecture on Iraq?
Russian troops? To Iraq? Of course you joke. There is Russian saying - 'keep your pockets wide open'.

By the way, now it is absolutely clear what candidate Russia does prefer - those old idioron (idiot & moron).

ghost_us said:
Domovoy said:
ghost_us said:

By oil clans I'm assuming you mean big oil like exxon, BP, etc? They would need to drastically reduce the cost of fuel. Too many people now have incentive to either invent or find alternatives.

Their days are numbered. Consumer demand drives the market, not some oil cartel.

In parts of the US it's literally impossible to stop or reduce driving without very drastic measures like moving or leaving your job. There were no alternatives. Once someone offers one, you will see a huge switch very quickly.
Do you think oil mafia takes the world into wars over high profits so that it can give these profits away over some "consumer demand" for "alternatives"?

People who come up with brilliant ideas need money to develop them. Any moneyed-up company that view these ideas as possible threat to it's profits can buy the rights to the ideas and kill them with impunity. No ideas -- no alernatives, back to the old ways!

LISpace said:
Sergey - of course I joke.

Your Russian saying: does it refer to the benefit to Russia of others carrying out its wishes?
"If you are so naive as to believe someone'll put money into your pocket, you can keep it wide open..."

LISpace said:
Sergey - of course I joke.

Your Russian saying: does it refer to the benefit to Russia of others carrying out its wishes?
The saying is used as a replay to absurd, unrealistic, stupid claims, demands, expectations, propositions.

Suppose that a trader asks too high price. You go away saying: 'keep your pocket wide open' (it means that the trader could open his 'pocket' but unlikely your money would be in the 'pocket').

Vote Labour! - Keep your (Labour) pocket wide open.
Invest in the Northern Rock! - Keep your pocket wide open.
We demand the Malvines! - Keep your pocket wide open.

LISpace said:
Domovoy and Sergey - thanks for the explanation.

There is a British expression: 'Giggling behind the hands.' Is Russia doing this?
I know Russia is supporting NATO in Afghanistan, but it's not going to repeat a mistake USSR made in going there.

With regard to Iraq, I think Russia is concerned the country might be overrun by Islamic militants that can influence Russia's Wahabists.

LISpace said:
Domovoy and Sergey - thanks for the explanation.

There is a British expression: 'Giggling behind the hands.' Is Russia doing this?
I think that yes.

As for Russian 'help' in Afghanistan then it is also no more than a giggling behind the hands.

KGB_resident, I would be genuinely worried if Russia's government was as silly as you portray it.
Drug tafficking and a spread of Wahhabism is no laughing matter, especially for Russia, considering Wahhabism was the cause of the second Chechen war and a root of terrorist acts.

I do tend to agree, it's far to early to pull US troops out of Iraq.
They have destroyed a stable society and lawlessness runs cuntry wide.
One of the relatively peaceful area's was recently Invaded by Iraqi National Troops, who completely lost control of the situation and then had to call in US and UK assistance.
john

Latest Threads