Russia suspends arms control pact

#1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6898690.stm

Now I realise that this is probably Putin doing a bit of posturing because he's miffed about the Czech/Pole situation; but didn't it occur to a single politician that the "Cold War" could conceivably be reignited by just such policies?

We won the Cold War, it ended. We don't need anti-submarine frigates, we don't need to keep Armour and men in Germany, we don't need an airforce to protect against a non-existant aerial assault from the East. Lets do everything military on a shoe-string from Wales and sell off all the Estate in the south-east, because there's no longer a threat.

What chance the MOD will scrap BARONA or even give it a minor rethink? Not a bleedin hope. Sell, sell, sell, we have no current need and therefore no future need for such an expensive insurance policy. Show a little weakness and look see what happens.

I doubt Putin has the cash to fund a massive expansion at the moment but why sell everything off all our assets on the off-chance that the threat has gone for good?
 
M

Mr_Logic

Guest
#2
CFE suspended! Bugger, we've only just put the stickers up.

Should I start packing my ACTIVE EDGE bergen and recceing the Sqn ZULU MUSTER?

Remind me, what does it signify when you spot a Recce Troop accompanied by a BRDM-2RKH?
 
#4
Seriously tho, they'll have Recy Mech doing sandy stuff only on a deserted beach in Ccccladewi brevi given half the chance. Bordon must be worth a fortune to Gordon with all his affordable housing targets.
 

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
#5
Mr_Logic said:
CFE suspended! Bugger, we've only just put the stickers up.

Should I start packing my ACTIVE EDGE bergen and recceing the Sqn ZULU MUSTER?

Remind me, what does it signify when you spot a Recce Troop accompanied by a BRDM-2RKH?
Time to pack your bags and run away?
 
M

Mr_Logic

Guest
#6
Can I be the first to volunteer for the new BRIXMIS that we will undoubtedly be setting up.

Can anyone suggest some useful Russian phrases like dusfedanya tovaritsch.
 
C

cloudbuster

Guest
#7
Remind me, what does it signify when you spot a Recce Troop accompanied by a BRDM-2RKH?
That, voluntarily or otherwise, the brown and smelly stuff is about to run down your legs.
 
#8
cloudbuster said:
Remind me, what does it signify when you spot a Recce Troop accompanied by a BRDM-2RKH?
That, voluntarily or otherwise, the brown and smelly stuff is about to run down your legs.
With our depleted Recce Troops practicing drill in Horse Guards or polishing kit in Carmarthen, Vlad would probably just roll through in a fleet of armoured Zil escorted by some refurbed T-34s for show.
 
#9
Is anyone going to recce Germany for all the new branches of Lidl that have the potential for siting some TFC's within them?

Of course the current Harrier force is a little bit busy at the mo to go playing silly buggers in German fields, although I believe the pie-eating GR9 is too heavy for all that landing on temporary runway matting nonsense.
 
#11
Pres.Putin has made something that anyway would happen later or sooner.

The treaty was signed, but not has been ratified by NATO contries and they don't follow the treaty.

Now Russia has abilty to deploy its troops anywhere it wishes - in Kaliningrad enclave, near Baltic states. No doubt that the troops would be used in the case of ethnical cleasing, mass killings of ethnical Russians. Full scale war between NATO and Russia is impossible anyway but NATO planners could fancy about bombings of Misk (a capital of Belarus). Why not? Btw, Belgrade was bombed.
 
#12
Mr_Logic said:
Can I be the first to volunteer for the new BRIXMIS that we will undoubtedly be setting up.

Can anyone suggest some useful Russian phrases like dusfedanya tovaritsch.
Try this link (dunno what they say though it's all in Russian)

http://ets6.freetranslation.com/
 
C

cloudbuster

Guest
#14
Time, perhaps to dig out the Sven Hassel collection, and Gen Sir John Hackett's work on WW3.

Wonder if Amazon have them?
 
#15
Mr_Logic said:
Can I be the first to volunteer for the new BRIXMIS that we will undoubtedly be setting up.

Can anyone suggest some useful Russian phrases like dusfedanya tovaritsch.
Likely you mean dosvidanya tovarishch literally it means - see you later comrade.
 
#16
The_Goon said:
When did your lot bomb Belgrade, Sergey?
I mean that NATO warplanes bombed Belgrade (a capital of Yugoslavia) 8 years ago. There is a significant Polish minority in Belarus. Mainly in North-Western part of the country. So Kosovo-type scenario can't be excluded.
 
#17
Sorry, Sergey, my brains in slow slow monday morning gear, but what exactly are you proposing?

That Russia could use its troops to aid Russians around the wrold or what?
 
#18
The_Goon said:
Sorry, Sergey, my brains in slow slow monday morning gear, but what exactly are you proposing?

That Russia could use its troops to aid Russians around the wrold or what?
No of course. There are 2 millions of Russians and Russian speakers in California only.

However, there is a lot of Russians in Baltic states. Moreover many of them are Russian citizens. In the case of mass killings, mass deportation it would be a duty of Russian state to protect own subjects.

Let's recall event in Grenada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenada

A power struggle developed between Bishop and a majority of the ruling People's Revolutionary Government (PRG), including the co-founder of the NJM, Bernard Coard. This led to Bishop's house arrest; he and many others were eventually executed at Fort George on October 19, 1983 during a hardline PRA coup which brought a new pro-Soviet/Cuban government under General Hudson Austin to power. At the time of the coup there were about 50 Cuban military advisors and 700 armed construction workers on the island.

Six days later, the island was invaded by forces from the United States purportedly at the behest of Dame Eugenia Charles, of Dominica. Five other Caribbean nations participated with Dominica and the USA in the campaign, called Operation Urgent Fury. Although the Governor-General, Sir Paul Scoon later stated that he had requested the invasion, the governments of the United Kingdom and Trinidad and Tobago expressed anger at not having been consulted.

Grenada is more than 1,000 miles further away from the US mainland compared to Cuba, but was felt to be a substantial threat to the US. A publicised tactical concern of the United States was the safe recovery of U.S. nationals enrolled at St. George's University, although no official has ever been able to provide any evidence that any U.S. citizens were being mistreated or were unable to leave the country if they wanted. In fact, upon finding out that U.S. ships were headed for the island, Cuban and Grenadian officials sent urgent messages to Washington ensuring the safety of all U.S. citizens in the country. The U.S. government actually acknowledged that Grenada had offered it "an opportunity to evacuate American citizens," and that "U.S. students in Grenada were, for the most part, unwilling to leave or be evacuated
And Russia has a natural right to occupy any Baltic state in the case of serious threat to the lives of Russian citizens.
 
B

benjaminw1

Guest
#19
KGB_resident said:
The_Goon said:
Sorry, Sergey, my brains in slow slow monday morning gear, but what exactly are you proposing?

That Russia could use its troops to aid Russians around the wrold or what?
No of course. There are 2 millions of Russians and Russian speakers in California only.

However, there is a lot of Russians in Baltic states. Moreover many of them are Russian citizens. In the case of mass killings, mass deportation it would be a duty of Russian state to protect own subjects.

Let's recall event in Grenada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenada

A power struggle developed between Bishop and a majority of the ruling People's Revolutionary Government (PRG), including the co-founder of the NJM, Bernard Coard. This led to Bishop's house arrest; he and many others were eventually executed at Fort George on October 19, 1983 during a hardline PRA coup which brought a new pro-Soviet/Cuban government under General Hudson Austin to power. At the time of the coup there were about 50 Cuban military advisors and 700 armed construction workers on the island.

Six days later, the island was invaded by forces from the United States purportedly at the behest of Dame Eugenia Charles, of Dominica. Five other Caribbean nations participated with Dominica and the USA in the campaign, called Operation Urgent Fury. Although the Governor-General, Sir Paul Scoon later stated that he had requested the invasion, the governments of the United Kingdom and Trinidad and Tobago expressed anger at not having been consulted.

Grenada is more than 1,000 miles further away from the US mainland compared to Cuba, but was felt to be a substantial threat to the US. A publicised tactical concern of the United States was the safe recovery of U.S. nationals enrolled at St. George's University, although no official has ever been able to provide any evidence that any U.S. citizens were being mistreated or were unable to leave the country if they wanted. In fact, upon finding out that U.S. ships were headed for the island, Cuban and Grenadian officials sent urgent messages to Washington ensuring the safety of all U.S. citizens in the country. The U.S. government actually acknowledged that Grenada had offered it "an opportunity to evacuate American citizens," and that "U.S. students in Grenada were, for the most part, unwilling to leave or be evacuated
And Russia has a natural right to occupy any Baltic state in the case of serious threat to the lives of Russian citizens.
That would be fun to see....
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top