• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Russia successfully tests new S-400 air defense system

#1
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070713/68912072.html

Russia has successfully conducted the first live firing tests of its new S-400 Triumf air defense complex at a testing ground in southern Russia, the Air Force said Friday.
...
The S-400 (NATO codename SA-21 Growler) is a new air defense missile system developed by the Almaz Central Design Bureau as an upgrade of the S-300 family.

It has been designed to intercept and destroy airborne targets at a distance of up to 400 kilometers (250 miles), or twice the range of the U.S. MIM-104 Patriot, and 2.5 times that of the S-300PMU-2.
...
The system is reportedly highly capable of destroying stealth aircraft, cruise missiles, and ballistic missiles with an effective range of up to 3,500 kilometers (2,200 miles) and a speed of up to 4.8 kilometers (3 miles) per second.


Likely now S-300PMU-2 would be proposed to any country with money.
 
#3
The_Goon said:
At least you're honest, Sergey...

Our Russian Friend said:
Likely now S-300PMU-2 would be proposed to any country with money.
:D :D :D :D :D
Btw, there is a lot of lovely Pounds in the UK.
 
#4
KGB_resident said:
The_Goon said:
At least you're honest, Sergey...

Our Russian Friend said:
Likely now S-300PMU-2 would be proposed to any country with money.
:D :D :D :D :D
Btw, there is a lot of lovely Pounds in the UK.

What denomination does Iran use again Sergey?
 
#6
ghost_us said:
What denomination does Iran use again Sergey?
Sells oil in Euros these days - just to wind-up the US. :D
 
#8
whitecity - so does france, and holland, and germany, and russia....
Surprising how many do, when you look into it.
 
#9
Not a bad system: certainly better than anything the UK has. We have to trust anything above 4,000m to the RAF fighters. Or as part of NATO we can ask the Dutch to put us under their HAWK medium level AD assets or ask the Americans to put us under a Patriot shield (even if they will shoot down more crabs than the enemy as a result).

It is time the MoD admitted that BAe(wasteofspace) is ripping of the army by charging 30million pounds for each FSC Rapier launcher that can only reach to 10km on a good day.
 
#10
Dread - wot u complaining about? not heard about the new system called 'The Pebble'?

Basically you wait till they are flying reaaally low, then you throw stones at em.
 
#13
Dread said:
It is time the MoD admitted that BAe(wasteofspace) is ripping of the army by charging 30million pounds for each FSC Rapier launcher that can only reach to 10km on a good day.
So not even really effective in knocking down a AQ controlled airliner......

So then Sergy just to compare prices what's the estimated price tag on the Russian system?
 
#14
armchair_jihad said:
Dread said:
It is time the MoD admitted that BAe(wasteofspace) is ripping of the army by charging 30million pounds for each FSC Rapier launcher that can only reach to 10km on a good day.
So not even really effective in knocking down a AQ controlled airliner......

So then Sergy just to compare prices what's the estimated price tag on the Russian system?
Haven't any info about prices. Though Greece has only Soviet (Russian)-made anti-aircraft systems. Cyprus baught S-300. Though after Turkish pressure the compex was deployed in Crete.

It shows that the prices are affordable.
 
#15
KGB_resident said:
armchair_jihad said:
Dread said:
It is time the MoD admitted that BAe(wasteofspace) is ripping of the army by charging 30million pounds for each FSC Rapier launcher that can only reach to 10km on a good day.
So not even really effective in knocking down a AQ controlled airliner......

So then Sergy just to compare prices what's the estimated price tag on the Russian system?
Haven't any info about prices. Though Greece has only Soviet (Russian)-made anti-aircraft systems. Cyprus baught S-300. Though after Turkish pressure the compex was deployed in Crete.

It shows that the prices are affordable.
Not true - Greece has some western systems
 
#16
combatintman said:
Ironic that the electronic warfare version of the F-18 is called the Growler. Growler vs Growler - reminds me of JHQ in late 80s.
There were a few growlers in JHQ in those days - on the plus side their were also some lookers :D :D
 
#18
Rapier is a hittile rather than a missile remember it only has a 1lb of HE in the war head but when it hits you at mach 2 who needs alot of HE.
In saying that its still sh ite
 
#19
Unlike their aircraft, which I generally feel are greatly over rated, Russia produces some of the world's best AD systems. S300 is the latest variant of the very capable SA-10/12/20 and is a very, very capable system which is better in many respects to even the latest iterations of Patriot.

Those who question the need for aircraft such as F-22, F-35 and Typhoon need to consider these weapons. Stealth and/or an ability to manoeuvre supersonically at high altitude are the only way we could maintain air superiority and stop the bad guys' CAS, AH and arty having freedom of manouvre within the MEZ of an S300 or the like.

I suspect that this will be a major sales success for the Russians.

Regards,
MM
 
#20
Good thing the taliban are in no postion to field such a system not that I think the russians would sell them a system that actually worked .
Sergi what is the Russian view of the wests adventure in Afganistian anyway.Doomed to fail but glad to see muhjadeen getting killed like old times ?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top