Russia sinks Chinese Ship

CarpeDiem said:
The seas look a trifle heavy. My immediate reaction is that the Russian shots possibly penetrated through the hull and into one of the cargo holds, allowing the rice to get wet. Once wet, the rice would expand and could conceivably have either caused further damage inside the NEW STAR or significantly altered the weight and balance of the vessel.

the Russian Navy isn't having much luck at the moment, what with the ADMIRAL KUZNETSOV leaking a rather significant quantity of oil into the Atlantic that is currently making its way towards the west coasts of Britain and Ireland.

This sinking is most interesting for me in terms of the on-going security situation in the Gulf of Aden where the Chinese have two destroyers on their first overseas operational deployment since Job suck Moby's Dick and the Russians have the Kirov-class battlecruiser, PYOTR VELIKIY. Possible tension?!
The point is C-D is that is NOT the Flot - it is the KGB Border Guards.

rickshaw-major said:
the KGB?

didnt know they were back. i must have missed that.

DrStealth said:
rickshaw-major said:
the KGB?

didnt know they were back. i must have missed that.
Well FSB but its the same thing when it comes to Border Protection. And espionage. And Internal Security and.............

armchair_jihad said:
Flight said:
I'm rather suprised that 500 rounds of 30mm actually sank the vessel. It would make a right mess of the superstructure but hull and engineering were likely untouched. Unless of course they came alongside and fired to below the waterline...
perhaps the crew opened the sea cocks, rather than be caught 'red handed'.
I was thinking along those lines myself. It just doesn't ring true that an innocent vessel would keep running if there was nothing to hide. Any honest Master would know wait out while diplomats did their thing.