Russia simulates nuke attack on Poland.

vvaannmmaann said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/poland/6480227/Russia-simulates-nuclear-attack-on-Poland.html
Sergey stirring the pot again.
Bit stupid as it will strengthen the Polish position on a strengthened and renewed Art.5 commitment in the upcoming SC.

para_medic said:
vvaannmmaann said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/poland/6480227/Russia-simulates-nuclear-attack-on-Poland.html
Sergey stirring the pot again.
I disagree. What's the point in doing Military exercises if they're not realistic, with a potential real-life application?

Realistic exercises are far more fun, and at least feel as though they have a purpose, and therfore more is put in my the troops involved, and therby more can be taken away from the training.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Obama's appeasement - backing down over the missile shield - has given Ivan ideas. Or rather encouraged Ivan to get some old ones out and dust them.

smudge67 said:
I disagree. What's the point in doing Military exercises if they're not realistic, with a potential real-life application?

Realistic exercises are far more fun, and at least feel as though they have a purpose, and therfore more is put in my the troops involved, and therby more can be taken away from the training.
The documents state the exercises, code-named "West", were officially classified as "defensive" but many of the operations appeared to have an offensive nature.

The Russian air force practised using weapons from its nuclear arsenal, while in the Russian enclave of Kaliningrad, which neighbours Poland, Red Army forces stormed a "Polish" beach and attacked a gas pipeline.

The operation also involved the simulated suppression of an uprising by a national minority in Belarus – the country has a significant Polish population which has a strained relationship with authoritarian government of Belarus.
Yup, realistic allright - unfortunately not very comforting.

biffins-bridge said:
Its a while since I've shouted this.......

ACTIVE EDGE!
Did you really shout it? Or just type it with your caps-lock on? :roll:

Vlad Putin is back in 2012 and can run as President until 2024…

Gonna be an interesting couple of decades methinks.

The Poles will be safe - they are all over here

Trotsky said:
Looks abit like Zapad 81 to me (or was it Zapad 80, I can't remember now)
Indeed, the hint was in the name 'West'

Could be interesting, given what's being reported about the future Russian army ROE.

http://www.russiatoday.com/Top_News/2008-08-01/A_glimpse_of_Russias_army_in_2030.html

According to the project, in conflict situations the Russian army’s actions would consist of four steps. At first, it’ll lead the information war. Then offer the enemy a peace treaty at the early stage of conflict. If these measures won’t help the third step, which is a full scale use of force, will be inevitable. And step four would be reestablishment of relation with the enemy after the conflict.
So the first stage will be to cut-off their internet and lauch a few denial of service attacks (ulp! given the amount of spam I get from .ru, I think Stage 1 is underway).

If that doesn't work, 'full scale' use of force - no more of this pissing around with a couple of divisions - and then 're-establish relations' afterwards (sounds like Ivan wants his WP back as much as we want our SLRs :) )

I,ve dug out my Survive To Fight, kids have had a right giggle at the How To Defecate page - right 3rd Shock Army - Bring it on. :threaten: