Russia seeks permanent navy presence in Mediterranean

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by KGB_resident, Aug 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Why do you need one Sergei?

It was the same after Yalta I believe, Stalin demanding a base that he had no justification to have!
  3. Sergei - what precisely was the point of your post?
  4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

If you lot are going for the Arctic and the Med, why not just have the bit in between? We'd turn a blind eye. Straights we would.
  5. Isn't the russain navy rotting away in Murmansk and vladvyvostockskistalin?
  6. Ridiculous.
  7. Old news anyway - they've been trying it for years. I just find it comical that the Russian Navy - according to this article is going to resource the commitment from the Northern and Baltic fleets - Tsushima anyone? Btw - if you're a Hull-based trawlerman (if the EU hasn't wiped you out) I'd be a bit worried now.

Final point is that the Med is a lost cause - the Germans have got the towels on the sun loungers already.
  8. It's a good question. Frankly speaking I would like to see your comments. Is it for good or for bad?

After the end of the Cold war a delicate geopolitical balanse in Mediterranean had vanished. Previously the Soviet union was able to stop bombings of Libya namely sending warships to Tripoli haven. Now Russia is voided this capability. War with Yugoslavia would be unthinkable because anti-aircraft system of Soviet warships whould shoot down 'unidentified flying objects' over Yugoslavian territory. It would be hard for British submarine to fire missiles toward Belgrade - peacefull European city.

Of course our Israeli friends would be unhappy if Russia would send a lot of weapons to Syria in exchange for naval base but it is realpolitik.

Likely our American friends would take into account Russian naval presence in Mediterranian in their plans. Btw, maybe it would prevent a stupid and senseless adventure (one of many). So who knows how many lives of American (and British as well) servicemen would be saved.
  9. Uh... the Soviet ships arrived weeks after our bombing raid on Tripoli and had zip to do with any sort of prevention plan and everything to do with a useless show of force that no one gave much credence to. The Black Sea fleet was a waste of resources to build and maintain from the get go and would have served only as a means of depleting NATO ASM stocks were the cold war to turn hot. Hopefully Putin and company have more sense then to sink funding into a known money pit and this is just the Navy being froggy.
  10. Tell me where Russia borders the Med. No. Exactly.
  11. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Sergey, You normally talk sense. This is just crap. Are you basically saying that the free world will be saved from the ravaging West because Russia has the money to start paying for a Navy again?

All hail that savior and peace maker extraordinare, Mother Russia!

Personnally I prefer the world now without the atomic stand-off that was the Cold War. We don't need Russia deciding it needs to play thug again.
  12. Our American friends have the whole fleet in Mediterranian and tell me where are American borders?
  13. Where exactly does the US have a permanant base of operations in the med??
  14. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Generally called a Carrier group, isn't it? Big stick....
  15. At the eastern end, beneath Palestine.

Without the oil that Russia (or rather Siberia) controls they would be a complete irreverence in the modern world. A toothless old drunk of a country that should really be concentrating on the many problems within its own borders rather than trying to 'big it up' on the world stage.

Gees, some people say that the UK has trouble letting go of its Empire, Russia is far worse.

A paranoid, totalitarian, crime-ridden, delusional wannabe democracy in which very few actually profit from their countries massive natural resources and only if they are good girls and boys and bend down and take it from Emperor Putin.