Russia restarts long range bomber flights outside territory

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by welshblokemiles, Aug 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No link just yet, just popped up on BBC news 24. These will be the first flights of this nature since the end of the cold war.

So this marks the start of the next one I take it?

:roll:

2. Cold War II - This time, it's personal.

i.e. Putins upset at being fairly ignored on the world stage. Looking forward to a linky.

Edit - Thanks, Guy, and those bombers are pretty aged - is Russia just updating current stocks, or are they buying and developing new equipment, or what?

Awaiting Sergey. ;)

3. Any comment from the loud voices around here that keep telling us Typhoon is a waste of money?

4. It's good to stretch your legs once in a while :)

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'm all for the Typhoon, but prop-driven bombers? Oooh I've just shat meself.

As a matter of interest, have the soviets got anything in the way of 'proper' bombers in the pipeline?

6. The Tu-160 doesn't look too shabby. Like a Russian B-1.

7. Guess someone in the KGB earned their pay :D .Looking at the similarity in design.

8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

That's more like it, though it must be exceedingly complicated considering how long it takes them to make one. Their boasts about one penetrating US airspace I find hard to believe, but stranger things have happened.

I wonder why they aren't flying those around the EU?

9. Considering how many bears fell out of the sky, my guess is mitigating the bad press.

10. I don't think that it is a new cold war. Also, there are no personal motives.

Russian pilots need trainings anyway. Why not to fly far, far away? Does anybody think that the bobmers would bomb American or European cities? No of course.

11. Sergey, how long do you think it will take Russian to realise Putin and co are a load of clots who play up the external threat to desract from internal problems they have no intension of solving, given even the US only bought into Bush's crap for 6 years

12. Can the Russian head of state serve indefinitely, like the British PM, or is he limited to a fixed number of terms, like the American president?