Russia restarts long range bomber flights outside territory

No link just yet, just popped up on BBC news 24. These will be the first flights of this nature since the end of the cold war.

So this marks the start of the next one I take it?

:roll:

Cold War II - This time, it's personal.

i.e. Putins upset at being fairly ignored on the world stage. Looking forward to a linky.

Edit - Thanks, Guy, and those bombers are pretty aged - is Russia just updating current stocks, or are they buying and developing new equipment, or what?

Awaiting Sergey. ;)

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm all for the Typhoon, but prop-driven bombers? Oooh I've just shat meself.

As a matter of interest, have the soviets got anything in the way of 'proper' bombers in the pipeline?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
overpromoted said:
The Tu-160 doesn't look too shabby. Like a Russian B-1.
That's more like it, though it must be exceedingly complicated considering how long it takes them to make one. Their boasts about one penetrating US airspace I find hard to believe, but stranger things have happened.

I wonder why they aren't flying those around the EU?

Biped said:
overpromoted said:
That's more like it, though it must be exceedingly complicated considering how long it takes them to make one. Their boasts about one penetrating US airspace I find hard to believe, but stranger things have happened.

I wonder why they aren't flying those around the EU?
Considering how many bears fell out of the sky, my guess is mitigating the bad press.

The_Goon said:

i.e. Putins upset at being fairly ignored on the world stage. Looking forward to a linky.

Edit - Thanks, Guy, and those bombers are pretty aged - is Russia just updating current stocks, or are they buying and developing new equipment, or what?

Awaiting Sergey. ;)
I don't think that it is a new cold war. Also, there are no personal motives.

Russian pilots need trainings anyway. Why not to fly far, far away? Does anybody think that the bobmers would bomb American or European cities? No of course.

Sergey, how long do you think it will take Russian to realise Putin and co are a load of clots who play up the external threat to desract from internal problems they have no intension of solving, given even the US only bought into Bush's crap for 6 years

Can the Russian head of state serve indefinitely, like the British PM, or is he limited to a fixed number of terms, like the American president?

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
KGB_resident said:
The_Goon said:

Awaiting Sergey. ;)

Russian pilots need trainings anyway. Why not to fly far, far away? Does anybody think that the bobmers would bomb American or European cities? No of course.
Yet you, in another thread (here), are quite insistant that we are likely to invade Russia.

I am starting to get vaguely alarmed by the increasing Russian aggression. Even given the antics of the shaved chimp, why are the russians upping the ante in all these ways? Deploying nukes to Western Russia, territorial claims in the Arctic and now this?

F

fozzy

overpromoted said:
I believe that when the US cancelled the B-1 (under Carter, Reagan re-instated it), a visiting Soviet Diplomat saw a model of the aircraft on someones desk in DC and said "You are mad to cancel this".

Obviously, the Soviets liked what they saw

Ancient_Mariner said:
Can the Russian head of state serve indefinitely, like the British PM, or is he limited to a fixed number of terms, like the American president?
Officially, no, he's limited to two terms. In practice? We'll see...

chrisg46 said:
KGB_resident said:
The_Goon said:

Awaiting Sergey. ;)

Yet you, in another thread (here), are quite insistant that we are likely to invade Russia.
Actually I wrote

I don't think that US is wanting to invade Russia just now. However this objective would emerge 20-30-40 years later. Why not?
I meant that in theory nobody could exclude this possibility. By contrast Russia is much weaker than the West from all points of view (economical, military). Thus even in theory Russia would not be able to attack the West for decades (if not centuries).

chrisg46 said:
I am starting to get vaguely alarmed by the increasing Russian aggression.
Aggression? War? Against whom exactly?

chrisg46 said:
Even given the antics of the shaved chimp, why are the russians upping the ante in all these ways? Deploying nukes to Western Russia...
Note, Russia. It is our territory btw.

chrisg46 said:
, territorial claims in the Arctic and now this?
Other countries also have territorial claims in the Arctic. As for this then our American friends use to do this for many years. And what?