Russia Report - Read all about it.

So, if we go down to the woods today shall we find a COZY BEAR?

Couldn't find a place for a non-handbagging chat about this, which is out at 1030 today.

I see a few alleged insights in Newspapers, a couple of people have claimed vindication already ("They think it's all over!").

I suppose reading it will only get in the way of what it says.

Couldn't find a place for a non-handbagging chat about this, which is out at 1030 today.

I see a few alleged insights in Newspapers, a couple of people have claimed vindication already ("They think it's all over!").

I dont know what all the fuss is about, of course Russia interferes in our affairs, just as the UK interferes in the affairs of other countries if it thinks it can benefit. Almost all countries do it

All we have to do is out Putin as a raging nonce with a liking for little boys and he'll slink back into the shadows

Putin wouldn't be popular back home

And besides if Agent Cob is the best he could manage, any threat is over exagerated

China is the real danger, Russia's economy is weak, just like Pooty Poot himself the raving nonce

It could be damning, or a complete damp squib. If the latter, the question must be asked as to why it was delayed in the manner it was. Media speculation, right across the spectrum, hasn't helped, but all it about to be revealed (unless there are some redactions).

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

As I said in another thread, I don't think there are going to be any great gotchas in this, any juicy stuff eg Russian Money on the Tory Party ins redacted. What will be interesting is the avenues of enquiry that will be opened and who starts getting a squeaky bum once the press start digging deeper.

@rampant

on that, can I recommend

Just ploughing through it, and whilst I may not agree with everything -I find it all interesting.

1. Evidence was found to indicate that Russia interfered in the 2014 Scottish Independent Referendum.

2. No evidence was found to indicate Russia interfered in the Brexit Referendum.

3. In an earth shattering revelation, just about every Country interferes in other Countries.

Move along - Nothing to see here.

Yokel

LE
All we have to do is out Putin as a raging nonce with a liking for little boys and he'll slink back into the shadows

Putin wouldn't be popular back home

And besides if Agent Cob is the best he could manage, any threat is over exagerated

China is the real danger, Russia's economy is weak, just like Pooty Poot himself the raving nonce

A weak economy could be a reason that Putin seeks external adversaries. What happened to all the oil and gas revenue anyway - disappeared due to corruption? Another reason to seek a foreign bogeyman.

Russia is a potential threat, with a leadership that considers regime survival to be its main goal, sizable land and air forces to intimidate its neighbours, and growing submarine force and long range anti ship capabilities, and a large nuclear force that is being modernised.

Putin and Xi are allies.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Aand ...... nothing will happen. There's far too much Russian and drug-cartel money keeping the City of London afloat for anyone to do anything "constructive" about alleged interference.

MsG

4(T)

LE
Actually, you don't even have to read the report to gain an impression of the industrial scale of Russian agitation; just scan the readers' comments sections in the papers/ blogs that cover the report - the bots are out in force with their whataboutery. Looks like all the shifts have been called to action stations.

It could be damning, or a complete damp squib. If the latter, the question must be asked as to why it was delayed in the manner it was. Media speculation, right across the spectrum, hasn't helped, but all it about to be revealed (unless there are some redactions).

The recent delay has simply been that the ISC hadn’t reconvened yet and it couldn’t be published until it had. There doesn’t seem to be anything very exciting in it.

Before I start actually reading and understanding it, can I just chuckle a bit at this?
Screenshot 2020-07-21 at 10.41.50.png

Screenshot 2020-07-21 at 10.42.52.png

I think someone from the Government Digital Service needs to pop around and check the website.

1. Evidence was found to indicate that Russia interfered in the 2014 Scottish Independent Referendum.

2. No evidence was found to indicate Russia interfered in the Brexit Referendum.

3. In an earth shattering revelation, just about every Country interferes in other Countries.

Move along - Nothing to see here.

From the written Press release -

“There have been widespread allegations that Russia sought to influence voters in the 2016 referendum on the UK’s membership of the EU: studies have pointed to the preponderance of pro-Brexit or anti-EU stories on RT and Sputnik, and the use of ‘bots’ and ‘trolls’, as evidence. The actual impact of such attempts on the result itself would be difficult – if not impossible – to prove.

However what is clear is that the Government was slow to recognise the existence of the threat – only understanding it after the ‘hack and leak’ operation against the Democratic National Committee, when it should have been seen as early as 2014.

As a result the Government did not take action to protect the UK’s process in 2016. The Committee has not been provided with any post-referendum assessment - in stark contrast to the US response to reports of interference in the 2016 presidential election. In our view there must be an analogous assessment of Russian interference in the EU referendum.

I believe I am well know for saying "You only have a drugs problem, when you have a Drugs Squad".

The press conference is still ongoing.

dlrg

LE

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So from a brief skim the big take is that there was Russian Interference, in both Refs and also other issues, but the Government and Security Services actively avoided looking into it.

Do you not think that this might just fuel further calls for another IndyRef - An 'Impartial' one this time?

I do not think it is possible to have an ' Impartial ' Indy Ref

That would require, at the very least, a complete media blackout.

Only 2 speakers - The head of Independence and the head of Remain. ( every other lobby group, activist, agitator, etc etc, to keep their traps shut )

Hell will freeze over before that happens.

Aand ...... nothing will happen. There's far too much Russian and drug-cartel money keeping the City of London afloat for anyone to do anything "constructive" about alleged interference.

MsG

I suppose even the financial might of Russia couldn't persuade normal people to support the SWP.

Do you not think that this might just fuel further calls for another IndyRef - An 'Impartial' one this time?
Just another excuse for Wee Jimmy to bump her gums

I doubt it, the Russians are more likely to have supported the SNP than opposed it.

Latest Threads