Russia Renounces Parity with US.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, Apr 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

This is an interesting statement from the Russian Army Chief of Staff. Fairly radical change of stance, is it not?
  2. realistic I would say
  3. Hmmm, has Ivan finally woken up to the fact that it is from the East that his next likely batttle will come,
    and not from NATO?
  4. My tin foil hat is on and fits perfectly fine thank you..........and you may be right there though :wink:

So KGB-R, as a Russian, who do you fear the most-East or West??
  5. I don't fear both (from military point of view). Direct attack against Russia is unprobabale in near future from any direction.

But there are some areas outside Russia where my country has vital interests. They are:

1) Belarus.
    2) Sevastopol, Crimea - base of Russian Black sea fleet.
    3) Abkhazia and South Ossetia in Georgia.
    4) Transdnestria in Moldova.

In theory NATO troops could be sent in any of these territories. So Russian army must be strong enough and be prepared to counter-react.

As for central Asia or Far East then there are no similar territories that could be invaded by both NATO or China.

In this context China is not a military threat at all, while NATO is potentially dangerous for Russian interests.

You could say that NATO invasion in Belarus is unthinkable. But taken into account present rhetorics it looks like something not absolutely impossible.

As for 'the Parity' then Russia indeed doesn't need it to solve mentioned potential problems.
  6. Sergey! (Couldn't resist - sorry!)

I don't think there's anything even remotely theoretical about it.

Coming soon to a SLE near you - the mini-Stans! :D
  7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

A tour living on local staples of black bread and vodka? I don't think I could stand it........ :)
  8. Not for the next 6 months please :cry:
  9. Especially if we need a big potato field to keep the troops in Poland well fed. :)
  10. There was a war against Yugoslavia. Cause? To show who is the master 'in da house'. Invasion in Iraq. Previously denied cause (regime change) now is confirmed.

The superpower hate those who disobey and show 'bad example' for others. A formal cause - 'to remove the last dictator in Europe' has been prepared.

Dear Darth_Doctrinus!

SLE? Searched in ARRSEpedia... Googled...

Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is a chronic disease with many manifestations.

Frankly speaking SLE... soon... near me... Thanks... However there is a lot of good doctors in Russia.
  11. Lit:

SPEARHEAD - головка копья

LEAD - РУКОВОДСТВО (although I think this means 'management' or 'managerial'?)

but первое усилие воины probably works better to give a sense of what this means. Very broadly. I apologise for the grammar.
  12. Sergey,

Is this better:

возглавьте ведущий элемент in the sense of soldiers leading a larger force?
  13. "Avangard strategicheskikh syl" will probably do the trick.
  14. Thanks. I understand. There is a term that was used in Soviet times - Nomenclature (Номенклатура). It means - political (also military, economical) establishmnet.

For example, a director of a plant is nomeclature of Moscow's city communist party committee (I hope you understand what it mean).

Minister of defence, other top generals were of course nomenclature of the Central committee, were approved (in fact apponted) by this body.

Do you belong to nomenclature? Maybe even to nomenclature of the central committee of Labour party? :lol: