Russia Renounces Parity with US.

Baluyevsky also said it was the “sovereign right” of Ukraine, which has weapons manufacturing deals with Russia, to join NATO
This is an interesting statement from the Russian Army Chief of Staff. Fairly radical change of stance, is it not?

in_the_cheapseats said:
Baluyevsky also said it was the “sovereign right” of Ukraine, which has weapons manufacturing deals with Russia, to join NATO
This is an interesting statement from the Russian Army Chief of Staff. Fairly radical change of stance, is it not?
realistic I would say

Perevodchik said:
Hmmm, has Ivan finally woken up to the fact that it is from the East that his next likely batttle will come,
and not from NATO?
My tin foil hat is on and fits perfectly fine thank you..........and you may be right there though :wink:

So KGB-R, as a Russian, who do you fear the most-East or West??

dui-lai said:
Perevodchik said:
Hmmm, has Ivan finally woken up to the fact that it is from the East that his next likely batttle will come,
and not from NATO?
My tin foil hat is on and fits perfectly fine thank you..........and you may be right there though :wink:

So KGB-R, as a Russian, who do you fear the most-East or West??
I don't fear both (from military point of view). Direct attack against Russia is unprobabale in near future from any direction.

But there are some areas outside Russia where my country has vital interests. They are:

1) Belarus.
2) Sevastopol, Crimea - base of Russian Black sea fleet.
3) Abkhazia and South Ossetia in Georgia.
4) Transdnestria in Moldova.

In theory NATO troops could be sent in any of these territories. So Russian army must be strong enough and be prepared to counter-react.

As for central Asia or Far East then there are no similar territories that could be invaded by both NATO or China.

In this context China is not a military threat at all, while NATO is potentially dangerous for Russian interests.

You could say that NATO invasion in Belarus is unthinkable. But taken into account present rhetorics it looks like something not absolutely impossible.

As for 'the Parity' then Russia indeed doesn't need it to solve mentioned potential problems.

KGB_resident said:

In theory NATO troops could be sent in any of these territories. So Russian army must be strong enough and be prepared to counter-react.

As for central Asia or Far East then there are no similar territories that could be invaded by both NATO or China.

In this context China is not a military threat at all, while NATO is potentially dangerous for Russian interests.
Sergey! (Couldn't resist - sorry!)

I don't think there's anything even remotely theoretical about it.

Coming soon to a SLE near you - the mini-Stans! :D

A tour living on local staples of black bread and vodka? I don't think I could stand it........ :)

Darth_Doctrinus said:
KGB_resident said:

Sergey! (Couldn't resist - sorry!)

I don't think there's anything even remotely theoretical about it.

Coming soon to a SLE near you - the mini-Stans! :D
Not for the next 6 months please :cry:

KGB_resident said:
You could say that NATO invasion in Belarus is unthinkable. But taken into account present rhetorics it looks like something not absolutely impossible.
Especially if we need a big potato field to keep the troops in Poland well fed. :)

Perevodchik said:
KGB_resident said:
Especially if we need a big potato field to keep the troops in Poland well fed. :)
There was a war against Yugoslavia. Cause? To show who is the master 'in da house'. Invasion in Iraq. Previously denied cause (regime change) now is confirmed.

The superpower hate those who disobey and show 'bad example' for others. A formal cause - 'to remove the last dictator in Europe' has been prepared.

Dear Darth_Doctrinus!

SLE? Searched in ARRSEpedia... Googled...

Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is a chronic disease with many manifestations.

Frankly speaking SLE... soon... near me... Thanks... However there is a lot of good doctors in Russia.

KGB_resident said:
Dear Darth_Doctrinus!

SLE? Searched in ARRSEpedia... Googled...

Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is a chronic disease with many manifestations.

Frankly speaking SLE... soon... near me... Thanks... However there is a lot of good doctors in Russia.
Lit:

SPEARHEAD - головка копья

LEAD - РУКОВОДСТВО (although I think this means 'management' or 'managerial'?)

ELEMENT - ЭЛЕМЕНТ

but первое усилие воины probably works better to give a sense of what this means. Very broadly. I apologise for the grammar.

Sergey,

Is this better:

возглавьте ведущий элемент in the sense of soldiers leading a larger force?

Darth_Doctrinus said:
Sergey,

Is this better:

"Avangard strategicheskikh syl" will probably do the trick.

Darth_Doctrinus said:
Sergey,

Is this better:

Thanks. I understand. There is a term that was used in Soviet times - Nomenclature (Номенклатура). It means - political (also military, economical) establishmnet.

For example, a director of a plant is nomeclature of Moscow's city communist party committee (I hope you understand what it mean).

Minister of defence, other top generals were of course nomenclature of the Central committee, were approved (in fact apponted) by this body.

Do you belong to nomenclature? Maybe even to nomenclature of the central committee of Labour party? :lol:

AndyPipkin said:
More US bases, this time in Poland:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/world/20060403-100715-6519r.htm

They're closing in for the kill, Sergey!
Andy!

Andrew Borowiec said:
A new conservative government in Poland is annoying its EU partners with an assertive anti-Russian, pro-American foreign policy that is seen to undermine EU efforts to "speak with one voice."
But why? Because the membership in EU appeared as not universal solution.

https://registration.ft.com/registr...s/s/13a63176-bf8a-11da-9de7-0000779e2340.html

Rising global interest rates are pushing down currencies in Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary. There is no sign of imminent financial upheaval. But fund managers are concerned that an adverse change in the global investment climate has coincided with a bout of political uncertainty - with Hungary, the Czech Republic and Slovakia facing parliamentary elections and Poland beset by reports that a fragile government may be forced to go to the polls.
Really Poland doesn't fit for EU for its economical level. And Poland has huge social and economical problems (especially unemployment).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4852924.stm

Social change slows Polish birth rates
Estimates suggest there will be four million fewer Poles by 2030.
Under communism unemployment officially didn't exist. Now, at 18%, it's the highest in the European Union.
As well as concerns about job security, there is a chronic housing shortage...
In this situation political elite resorts to anti-Russian rhetorics and waits for American help and investments.

Andy, now not armies in Europe play main role, not tanks but banks, investments, economy. And note that taps on gas and oil pipelines and on the Russian side of the border.

KGB_resident said:
But there are some areas outside Russia where my country has vital interests. They are:

Sergey!

Okay, leaving aside Belarus, I can understand Sevastopol since you've still got another 11 years to go on the lease and finding a new place to park your fleet would be a complete pain in the arrse. But could you give me the Russian perspective on why the government feels the need to maintain troops in these three other areas?

Transdnestria you could kind of argue for since there is that massive honking old Soviet munitions dump sitting about the place but I don't really find that all that convincing to be honest and Abkhazia and South Ossetia just seems like mucking about in another contry's internal affairs for the fun of it from where I sit. I'm just curious how people view this from the 'other side' as it were.

Brick said:
KGB_resident said:

Sergey!

Okay, leaving aside Belarus, I can understand Sevastopol since you've still got another 11 years to go on the lease and finding a new place to park your fleet would be a complete pain in the arrse. But could you give me the Russian perspective on why the government feels the need to maintain troops in these three other areas?

Transdnestria you could kind of argue for since there is that massive honking old Soviet munitions dump sitting about the place but I don't really find that all that convincing to be honest and Abkhazia and South Ossetia just seems like mucking about in another contry's internal affairs for the fun of it from where I sit. I'm just curious how people view this from the 'other side' as it were.
Good questions. I will try not to be thick as a brick.

Abkhazia:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3261059.stm

When Georgia became independent, supporters of a break with Tbilisi in favour of independence and closer ties with Russia became more vociferous. Tension rose and in 1992 Georgia sent troops to enforce the status quo.
Gergian troops were defeated in the most humiliating way.

Moscow has further infuriated Tbilisi by making it easy for people in Abkhazia to gain Russian citizenship. Most now hold Russian passports.
Really almost all with rare exceptions. Russian troops play role of peacekeepers in Abkhazia.

South Ossetia:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/country_profiles/3797729.stm

The collapse of the USSR and Georgian independence in 1991 did nothing to dampen South Ossetia's determination to consolidate the break with Tbilisi. Sporadic violence involving Georgian irregular forces and Ossetian fighters continued until the summer of 1992 when agreement on the deployment of Georgian, Ossetian and Russian peacekeepers was reached. Hundreds died in the fighting.
And in this case most of living in South Ossetia are Russian citizens.

Trans-Dniester:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/country_profiles/3641826.stm

A 1989 law which made Moldovan an official language added to the tension, and Trans-Dniester proclaimed its secession on 2 September 1990.

The breakaway territory's paramilitary forces took over Moldovan public institutions in the area in 1991. Fighting intensified, culminating in a battle on the right bank of the Dniester in June 1992. Up to 700 people were killed in the conflict.

A ceasefire was signed in July 1992, and a 10-km demilitarised security zone was established. The settlement was enforced by the Russian 14th Army forces already stationed in Trans-Dniester.
There is a liguistical conflict there. Trans-dniestria is a Russian-speaking region populated mainly by Moldovans, Russians, Ukrainians. Many have Russian or Ukrainian citizenship.

Recently pres.Putin said that if EU recognizes an independence of Kosovo then Russia would recognize an independence of the self-proclamed states.

NATO launched the war over Kosovo. Is it possible in the case with these territories? Why not? Though there is one obstacle - Russia and its armed forces. Also local militias should be taken into account. If you would be sent into Abkhazia then you would recall Iraqi insurgents as nice boy-scouts.