Russia - Music festival snubbed due to military propaganda

Surprised if this sort of thing hasn't aleready happened in UK.

A Russian music festival has been snubbed by musicians due to the presence of military hardware, according to the BBC: Musicians boycott Russian music festival

Back in the psychedelia-era, the Communists (Russian-backed?) were linked to the Peace/Ban the Bomb movement which specifically targeted music festivals and the musical youth (not the band that passed the dutchie).

You'd have thought Russia had the wit and intellect to distinguish between a public-eye event which could aid military recruitment and an event likely to do the complete opposite. Have they started a covert SO1 direct entry scheme, recruited exclusively from the top military strategists in the British military, I wonder?

Back at the turn of the century in Oxford, I remember our URNU (like OTC, but better) cadets rocked-up at Freshers Fairs to recruit. Each year were duly placed next to the LGBT stand. In those days, of course, anything that wasn't bible-belt hetero, was illegal in the Armed Forces, so it was excellent heated-debate fodder for the student union.

I wonder: Have any.of our readers attended a totally inappropriate public event, armed to the teeth, whilst sat atop a main battle tank?

RASS, for the whole of it's life time.
I take it that's the Rhine Army Summer Show?

If so, to be fair the clue's in the title on that one. The RN is the same with their Summer Shows which are held in shore establishments (bases). Whether they actually encourage recruitment is very doubtful.

It's a bit like military airshows - generally those attending wear glasses like jam-jar bottoms and dayglo kagools on a sunny day, which make them sweat like a blind lesbian in a fish shop. Future fighter pilots they ain't, although, to be fair they're the next generation of drone pilots, I guess.

If so, to be fair the clue's in the title on that one. The RN is the same with their Summer Shows which are held in shore establishments (bases). Whether they actually encourage recruitment is very doubtful.

It's a bit like military airshows - generally those attending wear glasses like jam-jar bottoms and dayglo kagools on a sunny day, which make them sweat like a blind lesbian in a fish shop. Future fighter pilots they ain't, although, to be fair they're the next generation of drone pilots, I guess.

I was thinking more along the lines of the LCpl, 3 weeks down the line, who is invited to take charge of his shiny new BMW 5-Series that he can't remember ordering at 1500 on the Saturday followed by the realisation that his net salary for that month has been gobbled up with the first payment.

Or the 4-year old son of a rather prickly half-Colonel who, having been told innumerable times NOT to climb onto the trails of the AS90, falls off and fractures his arm.

Oh, the hot, salt tears.

Oh, how we laughed.

As a kid, when attending shows, the thing that always stood out was the way you could tell the difference between a regular Army vehicle and a Reserve Forces vehicle.

The regular service vehicle was always green. Just green.

The reservist vehicles were always jazzy camouflage stripes, usually matt olive green and gloss black to make them stand out. The bit that always puzzled me was why they always painted the wheelnuts red. I can only assume it was to help hard of hearing mechanics find them.

Don't know about wheel nuts being painted red, bolts on drive shaft/ half shaft were.
In old days red painted nuts /bolts meant crew dont touch.

Probably should have

I wonder: Have any.of our readers attended a totally inappropriate public event, armed to the teeth, whilst sat atop a main battle tank?
Not quite MBT but I was spammed once to support a KAPE event at short notice with whatever we had to hand.

Long story short, encouraging local primary schoolers to pretend to shoot down an Air Sea Rescue whirlybird with a pintle mounted GPMG is Frowned Upon.

Don't know about wheel nuts being painted red, bolts on drive shaft/ half shaft were.
In old days red painted nuts /bolts meant crew dont touch.
Nothing to do with the thread, however..... My brother touched his nuts whilst cutting chilli peppers, They went very red. Laugh? I nearly pissed myself.

Future Stokers?