Russia may stop implementing a key defence treaty

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6594379.stm

The Russian president accused Nato countries of failing to respect the 1990 Conventional Forces in Europe Treaty (CFE), which limits military deployments across the continent.

The treaty was adapted in 1999 after the collapse of the Warsaw Pact, but Nato states have not yet ratified the new version, linking it to the withdrawal of Russian forces from Georgia and Moldova.

Mr Putin accused Nato states of exploiting the situation to increase their military presence near Russia.
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070426/64447949.html

Russian President Vladimir Putin proposed Thursday that Russia should suspend the implementation of the Treaty on Conventional Forces in Europe until other parties to the treaty ratify the document.

"I think it is necessary to announce a moratorium on Russia's implementation of the CFE treaty until all NATO countries ratify it and start to strictly adhere to it, as Russia does today unilaterally," Putin said.

He also suggested that Russia might consider leaving the CFE treaty if talks with NATO countries show no visible progress in implementation of the treaty in the future.

"I propose discussing this issue in the Russia-NATO Council, and if progress is not reached in negotiations, consider the possibility of terminating our obligations under the CFE Treaty," the Russian leader said.

Hopefully some progress will be made but Russia does have the right to reposition it's military to deal with potential threats... especially ones posed by former Soviet states who now mantain a position of beligerancy towards the Kremlin. Not absolving Putin & company of the responsability of exhausting diplomacy to keep things balanced of course.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Mr Putin also hit out at those who he said were using democracy as a pretext to interfere in politics.

This was the funniest part of his speech for me. What else does he think should be done in a democracy?

Grownup_Rafbrat said:
Mr Putin also hit out at those who he said were using democracy as a pretext to interfere in politics.

This was the funniest part of his speech for me. What else does he think should be done in a democracy?[/quote]

He thinks the nosey feckers should sit in the Duma flapping their gums and generally minding their own business whilst He gets on with running the country.

Or is that Swiss Tony :?:

Putin is one of the old KGB and is trying to get communism back into Russia and get the country united in his thoughts.Dangerous man and he is right about NATO expanding rather rapidly,but the Russian people need not worry about NATO. Just look at its mess in the Balkans and the other so called allies who won't commit their troops to fighting anywhere.

Need not worry? Russia's entire history is confronting one invasion after another from the West. That sort of past kinda sits in a national psyche...

Putin is in a position more complicated than just about any of his peers amongst national leaders face. Keeping the economy there solvent, mantaining security with religious zealots on one border and disgruntled former states on the other, dealing with a quickly emerging uber wealthy class with quite a bit of power who seem to be hell bent on emulating the robber baron style of Carnege and Rockerfeller, and also surpressing the former party nomenclatura who lust after the good old days of the Soviet system in which they were priviledged require a dance routine which runs the gamut from a Tsarist tango to a populist polka.

Anyway... you get the point. I certainly cannot say I agree with all of his policies or methods but definately recognize that to effectively lead Russia, a man has to be well schooled in Machiavelli's concepts.

TartanJock said:
Putin is one of the old KGB and is trying to get communism back into Russia...
Oh, no. Mr.Putin is a hardcore capitalist. Look at his best friends, mr.Abramovitsh for example. Also mr.Berluskoni is a frequent guest in Moscow. Recently he met with mr.Putin in Moscow (common business I fancy).

TartanJock said:
... and get the country united in his thoughts.Dangerous man and he is right about NATO expanding rather rapidly,but the Russian people need not worry about NATO. Just look at its mess in the Balkans and the other so called allies who won't commit their troops to fighting anywhere.
Of course NATO is not a threat to Russia itself, but it is a potential threat to Russian interests. Is it possible that NATO would invade ... Kyrgyzstan for example? In theory it is possible. But there are 500,000 ethnically Russians in the country (including my relatives). What if NATO would repeat Kosovo scenario in Abkhazia or/and South Ossetia?

And any responsible politician must take into account any possibility. Where exactly would expansion of NATO lead?

Khyros said:
Need not worry? Russia's entire history is confronting one invasion after another from the West. That sort of past kinda sits in a national psyche...
How true. After WW2, it is an imperative - 'never again'.

Latest Threads