Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russia laws ban 'disrespect' of government and 'fake news'

I disagree. In fact it would give authorities a tool to effectively stop protest actions using detention of the protesters.
Seriously? You allegedly vote for the Communist Party and would support the detention of protesters?
Russian Communists say election stolen by pro-Putin candidate | Reuters
I don't think that street protests are effective but I'm against arbitrary detentions and agianst any laws that bounds freedoms of speech and opinions.
Which appears on the face of it to fly in the face of your earlier statement
I don't understand what do you mean exactly.
First of all you say that protesters should be detained (despite the Communist Party protesting in the streets)
Then you say street protests are not effective, you're against arbitrary detentions and against laws (such as this) which bind freedom of speech and opinions

Either you're in favour of protesters being detained (when applying their right to freedom of expression and opinion) or you are not? Which is it?

Detention is not part of the UK Stop and Search powers. The person being searched is not taken away or put in cells, they are not removed from any protests and they are not denied the right of protest. They are stopped in situ for as long as it takes to make a quick search of their pockets and bag, then (assuming they are not carrying anything unlawful) they are sent on their way. As I said, it is like being searched entering a nightclub or a security-sensitive conference or exhibition.

Stop and Search is heavily overseen by regulatory authorities to ensure that people are not unfairly or unduly targeted. Simply being a peaceful protestor would be unlikely to warrant a stop and search. It in no way interferers with the right of free speech or protest.

Your post simply reinforces my belief that you do not understand UK Stop and Search powers, which makes using them as your example a bad idea.

EDIT: Here is a description of the power of Stop and Search as detailed by Release, a charity which supports the rights of suspects and criminals and so hardly a source which would hold back on listing any problems with the police powers used.

Stop and Search
My intellectual abilities are sufficient to understand the concept of Stop and Search procedure. In fact policemen in the UK can stop anybody at will, conduct body search even if respective person doesn't violate any law, doesn't make anything suspicious or forbidden.
Russian senator Margelov (the head of the Upper house foreign affairs commitee) was invited to visit the UK by the House of the Lords. He walked toward Westminster along with female representative of FCO. Not so far from DS10 the senator was stopped by the police and despite loud protest of the FCO representative body search was conducted. The senator had to answer some questions including - why have you arrived to the UK? And how do you describe you - Black, Asian, White British or other White?
Of course heads of Houses of Commons and Lords and mr.Blair himself brought apologies to the senator, the guest of the House of the Lords but not sir Ian Blair. He didn't see any grounds for apologies.

As for body search then there are serious restrictions In Russia. It is possible only toward detained person and proper procedure should be observed. And according to the law people can not be arbitrary detained just because a policeman decides to detain somebody. It is possible only if the law is violated or a person disobeys lawful demand of a policeman.

Last edited:
My intellectual abilities are sufficient to understand the concept of Stop and Search procedure. In fact policemen in the UK can stop anybody at will, conduct body search even if respective person doesn't violate any law, doesn't make anything suspicious or forbidden.
Russian senator Margelov (the head of the Upper house foreign affairs commitee) was invited to visit the UK by the House of the Lords. He walked toward Westminster along with female representative of FCO. Not so far from DS10 the senator was stopped by the police and despite loud protest of the FCO representative body search was conducted. The senator had to answer some questions including - why have you arrived in the UK? And how do you describe you - Black, Asian, White British or other White?
Of course heads of Houses of Commons and Lords and mr.Blair himself brought apologies to the senator, the guest of the House of the Lords but not sir Ian Blair. He didn't see any grounds for apologies.

As for body search then there are serious restrictions In Russia. It is possible only toward detained person and proper procedure should be observed. And according to the law people can not be arbitrary detained just because a policeman decides to detain somebody. It is possible only if the law is violated or a person disobeys lawful demand of a policeman.
link, evidence, written protest?

Stop and search is 'with suspicion' and not legally classed as detention.

First of all you say that protesters should be detained (despite the Communist Party protesting in the streets)
Is English your native language? I begin to doubt. I haven't said that any protesters should be detained. I wrote
I disagree. In fact it would give authorities a tool to effectively stop protest actions using detention of the protesters.
I only underline the fact that the new proposed Russian law could be misused by the authorities in form of arbitrary detentions during protest actions. So for this reason I disaprove the very idea of the law.
Or maybe you just haven't understand my point? Is my clarification sufficient?

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
Not true.

It is not used 'at will' at all. The policeman must have both a reasonable suspicion and have an objective basis for the stop and search. Body or 'cavity' searches may not be used with Stop and Search. They may only authorised by an Inspector or higher rank who has reasonable cause to suspect that the person is concealing Class A drugs with intent to supply, or something that might cause harm to himself or others.

Guidelines are that a body search must only be carried out by a medical practitioner unless a policeman of Inspector rank or above deems that this is impractical and the search is for something that might cause harm to the suspect or others.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...achment_data/file/592547/pace-code-c-2017.pdf

Russian senator Margelov (the head of the Upper house foreign affairs commitee) was invited to visit the UK by the House of the Lords. He walked toward Westminster along with female representative of FCO. Not so far from DS10 the senator was stopped by the police and despite loud protest of the FCO representative body search was conducted. The senator had to answer some questions including - why have you arrived in the UK? And how do you describe you - Black, Asian, White British or other White?
Please supply some reliable source information on this, because it sounds like complete horseshit.

See above.

Your claims about Russian police powers do not seem to be backed up by evidence. Or perhaps the laws being violated are flexible enough to warrant opposition politicians being bundled into police vans during peaceful protests? Or prisoners of war being denied both the rights accorded to POWs and also the rights of civilian prisoners.

Would any of our Russian trolls viewing this post kindly turn themselves in to the authorities for the shoeing they so richly deserve.

1552333213701.png

Is English your native language? I begin to doubt. I haven't said that any protesters should be detained. I wrote
Classic, from the account which doesn't remember it was ill, to not recalling linking an article about appeals for more information
I only underline the fact that the new proposed Russian law could be misused by the authorities in form of arbitrary detentions during protest actions. So for this reason I disaprove the very idea of the law.
But not enough to protest?
Or maybe you just haven't understand my point? Is my clarification sufficient?
It is now, thank you

link, evidence, written protest?

Stop and search is 'with suspicion' and not legally classed as detention.
Yes, I understand that Stop and Search doesn't mean detention but the procedure could last half hour or even more (at least in theory). So leaders of the protest march could be in fact briefly detained and it could destroy the protest march.
As for the case then...

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | European press review
The Rossiyskaya Gazeta informs its readers of another faux pas; the "frisking" of Russian senator, Mikheil Margelov, by London police.

"This almost diplomatic row will evidently not cause the London police any problems. Margelov is not planning to complain or cause a fuss."

Trud says the incident occurred in Whitehall, "literally 100 metres from the British prime minister's residence."

"The usually amiable and peaceable British bobby for some reason decided that the Russian senator looked suspicious."

But, the paper wonders at the criteria for being stopped by the police.
Margelov Frisked by London Police | News
A senior Russian politician was stopped and frisked by London police on Wednesday near the residence of British Prime Minister Tony Blair, prompting a quick apology from British officials.

Mikhail Margelov, the influential head of the Federation Council's International Affairs Committee who is considered close to President Vladimir Putin, was walking with a British Foreign Ministry official along Whitehall, a stone's throw from No. 10 Downing Street, when policemen stopped him and told him he was to be searched, a spokesman for the British Embassy in Moscow said Thursday.

Margelov could not be reached by telephone in London on Thursday, but Kommersant reported him as saying that he had shown the policemen his diplomatic passport and his Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe document to no avail.

"They checked my briefcase and cellphone," Margelov told Kommersant. "They asked me to spread my legs and arms apart and frisked and searched me."

A spokesman for Scotland Yard declined to comment on the incident, saying only that Margelov was likely stopped in connection with Britain's Terrorism Act, which he said allows for "various searches of various individuals for various purposes."

British officials were nonetheless quick to issue an apology.

The British Embassy's spokesman, Richard Turner, said Margelov was not singled out and that police have been conducting spot checks along Whitehall as an anti-terrorist measure.

"We are taking the first opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience or embarrassment that might have resulted," Turner said.
BBC-Russian describes the incident in details
Би-би- Ро | В Лондоне обыи ийо

So, in this pot tagging 'kettle of colour' legislation will the Russian authorities be firewalling their own troll factories from the internet, given they are the world's top source of fake news?

Yes, I understand that Stop and Search doesn't mean detention but the procedure could last half hour or even more (at least in theory). So leaders of the protest march could be in fact briefly detained and it could destroy the protest march.
As for the case then...

Thank you.

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
So the police were conducting spot checks on random people as part of targeted operation, and the Russian politician was randomly selected to be one of those people searched. It sounds like he was patted down, asked some background questions and then allowed to walk on.

It's hardly picking on the Russian, is it?

Edited to add: UK politicians are not immune to such spot checks and nor to any other police security moves. Maybe your Russian politician just wasn't used to being treated like a normal human being for once?

Last edited:

Slime

LE
Russian senator Margelov (the head of the Upper house foreign affairs commitee) was invited to visit the UK by the House of the Lords. He walked toward Westminster along with female representative of FCO. Not so far from DS10 the senator was stopped by the police and despite loud protest of the FCO representative body search was conducted. The senator had to answer some questions including - why have you arrived to the UK? And how do you describe you - Black, Asian, White British or other White?

You said in your first sentence that you have the intellectual capacity to understand stop and search, then in your very next sentence demonstrate that you don't understand it.

Well done trigger ;)

As for the case then...

All you're doing is reiterating the same info you have re Margelov since 2006. Do you have a more recent incident to compare with?

So the police were conducting spot checks on random people as part of targeted operation, and the Russian politician was randomly selected to be one of those people searched. It sounds like he was patted down, asked some background questions and then allowed to walk on.

It's hardly picking on the Russian, is it?
If it would be me then no problem. Foreigner should follow local laws and procedures unconditionally.
But mr.Margelov was official guest of British parliament and FCO representative confirmed his identity. She even protested to body search. It looks as the Police in the UK are state in state.

All you're doing is reiterating the same info you have re Margelov since 2006. Do you have a more recent incident to compare with?
If sir Ian Blair apologised and HMG said that such an incided is unacceptable and nothing similar will happen in the future then - it would remain just a funny mistake.
But as I understand similar case could happen in the future. Why not?

If sir Ian Blair apologised and HMG said that such an incided is unacceptable and nothing similar will happen in the future then - it would remain just a funny mistake.
But as I understand similar case could happen in the future. Why not?
Which part of ‘carrying out stop and search in a high risk area’ do you not understand? From your posting about it for 13 years you’d have thought it was more than a ‘one off incident’.

It was pointed out to you in the Khashoggi thread he holds no more diplomatic status than Crash does

Latest Threads