Russia launches Cyber-attacks on Estonia

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, May 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hmm... and how many bored Russian teenagers with computing skills and tempers are out there?

2. How many cyber-attacks were there on Arab websites on the run up to GWIII?

At one point even CIA and the FBI were appealing to "patriotic hackers" to leave them the **** alone, as it was interfering with their own activities.

I very much doubt that Russia is behind this, but legions of hacked off 'patriotic' Russian hackers probably are.

Still, it stops them sending dodgy e-bay and bank password requests for a bit.

3. Very unsporting comments PTP! :x

Whitehouse Central has recently made it perfectly clear that they will be installing ABM defences in Eastern Europe with or without Russia's consent/acceptance. Surely, it makes sense to push this through under the cloud of 'clear' provocation from Moscow!

4. I think it's a two way street,it's often a way for smaller nations/causes/organisations to fight the US on a 'level (er) playing field'.

I would be surprised if some of the Kremlin sponsored youth groups didn't have in their ranks those with 'creative computer skills'.

Institute of Technology Studies at Dartmouth University
    http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/lib_assessments2.php

5. I suppose that many hackers are Estonian citizens (residents). At least one - 19yo Dmitry was detained.

http://quicknews.ru/novosti-5745.html

Sorry, it is in Russian.

Now Estonian authorities try to soften the situation. Estonian PM visited the Bronze soldier 8 May on the new location and laid flowers. Tomorrow a synagogue was opened. Small but well organised Estonian Jewish community regaded the demolishion of the monument as an insult. Recently a monument to killed Estonian gypsies was errected.

I think that the Cyber-attacks will end soon.