Russia in Syria - Tim Ripley book?

Zhopa

War Hero
This popped up in my inbox last night, and I would assume also those of a few other ARRSErs. Tim Ripley, who I think of as on the relatively sensible end of the defence journalist spectrum, seems to have done something potentially interesting about Russia in Syria.

I'll have to get it and read it ASAP anyway because I'm supposed to be writing something similar myself (so @Auld-Yin I'll volunteer to review it if it's not already on somebody's list) - but has anybody already seen it and have a view? I was struck by the "Russians managed to confuse western intelligence agencies and make a surprise intervention" bit, which is certainly what the Russians say but I'm not sure how it measures up to real life.

++++
Tim Ripley is pleased to announce the publication of his latest book

Operation Aleppo

Russia’s War in Syria

The Inside Story of Putin’s Military Intervention in the Syrian War

By Tim Ripley

Russia’s intervention in Syria in September 2015 caught the world by surprise. Since then Russian bombers, fighter jets, drones, warships and special forces troops have helped turn the tide of the brutal Syria civil war in favour Bashar al-Assad’s government in Damascus.

As the war enters its endgame, this book looks at how the Russian intervention unfolded, and its implications in the Middle East and further afield.

Drawing on a wide array of sources - including satellite imagery of Russian forces in Syria, as well as live online monitoring of Russian, Syrian and Iranian aircraft and ship movements – Operation Aleppo gives an unprecedented insight into the most ambitious Russian military campaign since the Soviet intervention in Afghanistan in the 1980s.

Tim Ripley reveals:

• How the Russian’s managed to confused western intelligence agencies and make their surprise intervention in Syria
  • How Russia’s new fighter jets, drones, cruise missiles and warships have performed in combat in Syria
  • The secret role of Russian special forces and private military companies in Syria
  • How Russia’s “Syria Express” of cargo ships have keep the Syrian government’s army supplied with military hardware and weapons
  • How Russia’s generals have out manoeuvred western-backed rebels to seize huge areas of Syria

About the Author

Tim Ripley has reported on the Russian intervention in Syria for The Sunday Times, The Scotsman, Jane’s Defence Weekly and Jane’s Intelligence Review since its start in 2015. He has travelled extensively across the Middle East, reporting on conflicts in the region for more than 25 years.

Please circulate to anyone you think might have an interest in this book.

To Buy Operation Aleppo in paperback or Kindle e-book, visit:
http://bit.ly/ripleysyria

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Zhopa
Please do review this book and we will put the review up in the reviews section in the usual way. If you want your own book reviewed then get in touch when it is ready.

AY

Last edited:
This popped up in my inbox last night, and I would assume also those of a few other ARRSErs. Tim Ripley, who I think of as on the relatively sensible end of the defence journalist spectrum, seems to have done something potentially interesting about Russia in Syria.

I'll have to get it and read it ASAP anyway because I'm supposed to be writing something similar myself (so @Auld-Yin I'll volunteer to review it if it's not already on somebody's list) - but has anybody already seen it and have a view? I was struck by the "Russians managed to confuse western intelligence agencies and make a surprise intervention" bit, which is certainly what the Russians say but I'm not sure how it measures up to real life.

++++
Tim Ripley is pleased to announce the publication of his latest book

Operation Aleppo

Russia’s War in Syria

The Inside Story of Putin’s Military Intervention in the Syrian War

By Tim Ripley

Russia’s intervention in Syria in September 2015 caught the world by surprise. Since then Russian bombers, fighter jets, drones, warships and special forces troops have helped turn the tide of the brutal Syria civil war in favour Bashar al-Assad’s government in Damascus.

As the war enters its endgame, this book looks at how the Russian intervention unfolded, and its implications in the Middle East and further afield.

Drawing on a wide array of sources - including satellite imagery of Russian forces in Syria, as well as live online monitoring of Russian, Syrian and Iranian aircraft and ship movements – Operation Aleppo gives an unprecedented insight into the most ambitious Russian military campaign since the Soviet intervention in Afghanistan in the 1980s.

Tim Ripley reveals:

• How the Russian’s managed to confused western intelligence agencies and make their surprise intervention in Syria
  • How Russia’s new fighter jets, drones, cruise missiles and warships have performed in combat in Syria
  • The secret role of Russian special forces and private military companies in Syria
  • How Russia’s “Syria Express” of cargo ships have keep the Syrian government’s army supplied with military hardware and weapons
  • How Russia’s generals have out manoeuvred western-backed rebels to seize huge areas of Syria

About the Author

Tim Ripley has reported on the Russian intervention in Syria for The Sunday Times, The Scotsman, Jane’s Defence Weekly and Jane’s Intelligence Review since its start in 2015. He has travelled extensively across the Middle East, reporting on conflicts in the region for more than 25 years.

Please circulate to anyone you think might have an interest in this book.

To Buy Operation Aleppo in paperback or Kindle e-book, visit:
http://bit.ly/ripleysyria
I'd be interested in reading your review. Tbh, anybody who says the intervention was 'a surprise' (the ship movement was known, as was the building work at the airbase) and 'the war enters its endgame' clearly isn't as au fait with the conflict as they pretend. Seven years and counting with his comment below showing where the book is coming from.

There's a 'five pager' here on how he went about his research: http://timripley.co.uk/articles/Operation-Aleppo/Writing-Operation-Aleppo.pdf
This book is the result of this work. It looks at the Syrian war from the view point of Moscow, Damascus and Tehran. Hopefully this will provide new insights and understanding of “the way the world is,” not the “way we want the world to be”.

Latest Threads