Russia gave Iraq intelligence

minime33 said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4843394.stm

The Russian's passed on intelligence to Saddam in relation to coalition troop movenments however one the reports was fake and help the US in their the attack on Baghdad.
BBC has forgotten about word 'allegedly'

http://en.rian.ru/world/20060325/44799183.html

Russia's foreign intelligence service denied Saturday allegations made by the Pentagon that it had provided Saddam Hussein's dictatorship in Iraq with intelligence data in 2003 shortly before and during the U.S.-led invasion of the country.

"This kind of unsubstantiated allegation against Russia's intelligence service has been voiced repeatedly," said Boris Labusov, the head of the Foreign Intelligence Service's press service.

KGB_resident said:
BBC has forgotten about word 'allegedly'
They dont need to use the word. They are reporting on a document that has been issued by the Pentagon, there is a document and the truth of the information contained in it is a matter entirely for the Pentagon.

The BBC are alleging nothing against the Russians here, the Pentagon are.

The question is whether the Russians were consciously acting as part of a strategic deception operation by giving the Iraqis duff gen about US plans or spam CI had figured out what the Russians were up to and made sure their agents grabbed the wrong end of the stick. It's just a guess but, IMHO, the chances are that it was the latter.

I heard Colin Powell give a talk a couple of weeks ago. He said of Putin that "While the President looked into his eyes and got a sense of his soul, I looked into his eyes and saw the KGB." That basic sense is echoed around the entire Foreign Policy leadership in the US. Rummy, Cheney and Rice are unreconstituted Cold Warriors and trust Putin as far as they can throw him. If it wasn't for Blair getting in early and persuading bush that Putin was a reasonable guy, things would have been a lot chillier from the start.

NEO_CON said:
Russia denies having passes along anything. If they were being helpful too their good friend the US, they would take credit for helping out. Perhaps they are worried about offending their former good friend Saddam.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060325/D8GIKBD80.html
Peter!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/24/AR2006032400996.html

The study gives no indication who the alleged sources inside the U.S. Central Command might have been, or whether American officials believe the Kremlin authorized the transfer of information to Hussein's government.

The Central Command, which oversees military operations in the Middle East and is headquartered in Tampa, did not respond to requests for comment. A State Department spokeswoman declined to comment.
So all these allegations are no more than theories, opinions. Let's wait for official statement of the Administration or the president.

That's rich!

the US army is camped next door and get ready to roll over you.
your armys in pretty shite state you ain't got an airforce and the wmd's don't exist. last time round it took them 100 hours to kick your arrse and they been on a major spending spree since then :(

what sort of intelligence is going to possibly help in this situation apart from getting a one way ticket to paris withus much ready cash as you can carry :evil:

Serious allegations but as hippy said, the intel didn't do him much good anyway did it. To be honest I think anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together could deduce that the oil infrastructure was going to be one of the first targets to secure, land ops were always going to be preceeded by SEAD and other air ops.

The more I see of the new Russia the more it looks like the old Soviet Union.

Serious allegations but as hippy said, the intel didn't do him much good anyway did it. To be honest I think anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together could deduce that the oil infrastructure was going to be one of the first targets to secure, land ops were always going to be preceeded by SEAD and other air ops.

This information could have killed both British and American soldiers. That has to be taken seriously

I wish I lived in Sergei's world - any alleged allegation against the US must necessarily be true, but anything about the Soviet Union, oops, I mean Russia, is just "alleged", and of course contains no substance :roll:

The new Russia along with the old soviet ally china are blocking international attempts to stop Iran from developing Nuclear weapons . I have seen this scrip before. I just hope the Russian ambassador to the UN doesn't take his shoe off and pound it on the table when he objects.

NEO_CON said:
The more I see of the new Russia the more it looks like the old Soviet Union.
What a coincidence! The more I see of the "new America", the more it reminds me of the old Soviet Union too. :D :D :D

It's only natural that Sergey defends his country against baseless attacks. However, in contrast to some ARRSErs, he's perfectly willing to concede points on Russia when the situation is clear.

It's not as if we can rely on the Septics' sense of honour when making something like this known, is it?
They have, on occasion let loose a few porkies, y'know.

MsG

stoatman said:
I wish I lived in Sergei's world - any alleged allegation against the US must necessarily be true, but anything about the Soviet Union, oops, I mean Russia, is just "alleged", and of course contains no substance :roll:
Stoatman!

It would be very kind of you to point out even one example then your obeyed servant claimed as 100% proven 'alleged allegations' about any wrongdoings made by our American friends.

I repeat that we should wait for offical statements from American side. Without them the story looks as an anecdote.

I don't think that any intelligence was transferred to Saddam by Russian secret servises, by the ambassador or anybody else.

Suppose that the Russians indeed had an intelligence about American plans in Iraq and had (have) a valuable informer. It would be very unwise to trasfer the intelligence to Iraqis. It could lead to disclosure of the agent. Saddam was doomed but this (alleged) important informer would be need in the future.

NEO_CON said:
The new Russia along with the old soviet ally china are blocking international attempts to stop Iran from developing Nuclear weapons . I have seen this scrip before. I just hope the Russian ambassador to the UN doesn't take his shoe off and pound it on the table when he objects.
Pre-note: anything without Russian and Chinese participation can't be called international. Use a correct terminology please - American attempts, NATO's attempts.

The situation is quite different form American, EU, Russian and Chinese points of view. For the last two future Iranian nuclear weapons are unwanted outcome but not a tragedy. Moreover it is not even a serious problem as Pakistan has nuclear weapons.

For USA it is not a tragedy too but highly unpleasant development. Nuclear Iran would seriously bound American abilities to dominate in the ME. As to Europe then it simply blindly follows the American line. But mainly on words. EU was quick to impose 'sanctions' against Belarus. What about Iran? If EU is so concerned then impose economican sanctions against Iran.

What EU (including the UK) and Japan really did? What real action were made against Iran? Nothing. So why Russia or China should do anything?

NEO_CON said:
The new Russia along with the old soviet ally china...
and that, in a nut-shell, just about sums up Neo_Con's grasp of international history and World Affairs.

Neo, be a good boy and do a google search on "Sino-Soviet Split", will you?

crabtastic said:
NEO_CON said:
and that, in a nut-shell, just about sums up Neo_Con's grasp of international history and World Affairs.

Moreover there was a military conflict on Damansky island on Ussuri-river in 1969. Hundreds soldiers were killed.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/cold.war/episodes/15/spotlight/

[quote="KGB_resident]

The situation is quite different form American, EU, Russian and Chinese points of view. For the last two future Iranian nuclear weapons are unwanted outcome but not a tragedy. Moreover it is not even a serious problem as Pakistan has nuclear weapons.

For USA it is not a tragedy too but highly unpleasant development. Nuclear Iran would seriously bound American abilities to dominate in the ME. As to Europe then it simply blindly follows the American line. But mainly on words. EU was quick to impose 'sanctions' against Belarus. What about Iran? If EU is so concerned then impose economican sanctions against Iran.

What EU (including the UK) and Japan really did? What real action were made against Iran? Nothing. So why Russia or China should do anything?[/quote]

You don't really believe that do you? Iran[1] with nuclear weapons is a threat to any non-islamic country. It will certainly add a new dimension to the Chechen situation from a Russian viewpoint not to mention Iraq/Israel.
Belarus as a case in point suggests a very real malaise of Putin at the moment. He wants a friendly government there (and who can blame him on that) but at the expense of democracy (see Ukraine), he wants the benefits of a free market economy but uses his power to interfere in free trade (cheap subsidised gas to eastern looking governments/takeover of Gazprom), he wants the respectability of democracy (I think) but makes it difficult for independant newspapers/TV/radio to survive.
Power corrupts and Putin has amassed an awful lot of power over the past decade.

Corn.
[1] In it's current theocracy.

edited for spelling

Neo Con wrote
then

crabtastic wrote

I am fully aware that there was a split in the alliance between the old Russia(Soviet Union) and the Old China? There were tensions in that old alliance that lead to a breakup. Just as between the new Russia and the new China their are tensions that may cause a breakup, though it is doubtful for the short term.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11903907/site/newsweek/

crabtastic-- I was taking your usual position that diplomacy is the option to use. I hoped that it had a chance to succeed but was skeptical. I was happy and surprise that the Europeans seemed to be taking a tougher line with Iran. They should be willing to impose sanction independent of the UN . I would hope that they would but again I am skeptical that they will. I would have thought that you would be angry at the protection of Iran's nuclear program that Russia and China seem to be displaying as this endangers the chances of Diplomacy working to achieve the desired goal.

Sergey Why KGB resident and not FSB resident, just curious--where do I start--- I think these documents about the delivery of the Iraqi war plans by Russia to Iraq destroys the illusion of friendship between our countries. The dislike of the US is so great that Russia is willing to see the spread of Nuclear weapons to this Iranian regime regardless of the possible catastrophic consequences to Russia and nations other than the US. That is a very profound dislike. Is Russia displaying the same phony friendship towards Europe and the UK , one can only guess.

NEO_CON said:
Sergey Why KGB resident and not FSB resident, just curious--where do I start
Peter!

I haven't any connection to FSB. But my father is a former KGB colonel and my wife is a former KGB lieutenant.

NEO_CON said:
I think these documents about the delivery of the Iraqi war plans by Russia to Iraq destroys the illusion of friendship between our countries.
I suspect that these 'documents' were forged to help German secret services.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4757554.stm

Despite government denials, several German papers express shock at the revelation that Germany may have been more involved in the Iraq war than previously thought after the New York Times reported that two German spies provided Washington with copies of Saddam Hussein's defence plans for Baghdad.
Dont't you find it a bit strage that Pentagon kept silence 3 years and only after revelations by NYT this 'documents' has been 'founded'.

Af for friendship then say me please: do you know even one case where USA took into account Russian interests? In times of Soviet Union American congress inmosed economical sanctions because of problems with Jewish emmigration from Soviet Union. This problem doesn't exist 15 years but the sanctions are still in force. USA is the only country in the World that blocks Russian membership in WTO. Is it a friendship?

Simple,don't trust Commie countries or former commie countries.All the terrorists in the world seem to have access to an never ending supply of AK 47's and RPG's mines and explosives.